Space Systems/Loral Associate Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2014.

I applied through their website and within a few weeks an HR representative called me to do a phone screening interview. The screening consisted of asking when I was graduating, why I wanted to work for SS/L, if I was willing to relocate, etc. At the end of this call a technical phone interview was scheduled with one of the Engineering hiring managers.
The technical phone interview was about an hour long. I was asked to go over my resume, my projects, work experience (I had over 3 years experience as Co-Op in College), and the rest of the time was spent asking me about specific technical related topics. These topics included Link Budgets, Transmitter/Receiver Design, Signal Processing, Satellites, and Amplifiers. Although I knew most of everything that was asked, the Engineer was patient with me and was willing to explain what I didn't know.
At the end of the technical phone interview I was told they were impressed with me and would like to bring me in for an on-site interview. This interview was scheduled for about 2 weeks after my phone call. I had to speak with two different HR representatives to plan everything.
My on-site interview was about 3 hours long and consisted of 4 interviews with different group managers. Each manager asked different technical/behavioral questions. The focus was on my resume and what I had learned. Questions were intended to show I knew what I had worked on and would be able to transfer skills/knowledge to the company. Nothing extremely difficult. At the end of the interview I was told they would get back to me with a decision. As I was driving off the campus I received a phone call from the HR recruiter offering me the job.
The only negative experience I had was the travel for the on-site interview. I was flown in and out the same day which gave me little time to see the area and get back to the airport on time. If my return flight had not been delayed then I would have missed my flight.
Once I accepted the offer I was given relocation package details (I was not a local). The HR recruiters were excellent and very helpful. They made the process very quick and easy. I had several other offers at the time and SS/L definitely were the most professional and understanding in my situation.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked how a traveling wave tube amplifier works.   View Answer
I had other offers at the time which made the negotiation process simpler. I was first given a range in which my offer would fall and was asked if I would be ok with it. I said no, due to my experience, and they agreed and came back with an offer that was in my desired range. Very smooth process.

Other Interview Reviews for Space Systems/Loral

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in February 2009.

I applied through my school's career site and got an interview with a recruiter on the campus a week later. The recruiter was really nice and we got along pretty well. The only question that he asked me was what do I think is on a satellite.

A week later I was contacted by phone for an onsite interview. HR was generally pretty responsive, but I have heard stories that they never respond... Onsite interview consisted of my future manager, his manager, and his manager's manager. No technical questions were proposed, but we just went over my resume a bit.

I think that my team is different than most and the manager is very protective of the people. I did hear a lot of complaints about politics, even during my interview. The culture is very relaxed and laid back, and I'm pretty sure that I saw a lot of people sleeping when I was walking around the cubicles.

The place itself smells a bit like a retirement - mold and mothballs.

Everyone did seem extremely smart. I felt like everyone that I came across had a Ph.D from Stanford, Berkeley, MIT or CalTech.

Interview Questions