Space Systems/Loral

Updated Jan 6, 2015

2.9

Assistant Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

All communications with existing managers was well received until I got to the Leader of the business unit. Very strange in a test he gave me. Had 5 different interviews with different managers in the business unit.

Interview Questions
    • A test that was thrown at me at the end of the interview. Old school questions. No problem for me but DOES it apply to the position??? NO   Answer Question
    I asked for a higher salary than what they wanted to pay. They came back with a low ball number, I came back with a compromise and it was excepted.

Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in December 2014.

I applied online and was referred from my school. There was a basic phone screen-er where a recruiter called me and verified some things on my resume and to verify that the rotating shift schedule would be ok for me. They then called back and set up a interview about a week later. The interview was very professional, I met with 4 people over 3 hours. The recruiter was very caring and asking how I was doing, and organized the whole thing. One of the lead techs gave me a tour of some of the systems they use for tests, and also asked about specific things on my resume. This company is a LEAN manufacturing company, so if you are familiar with six sigma terminology you are who they are looking for.

I was then sent to a mangers office, where I was asked some technical questions, if you know ohms law, resistors/caps in parallel you should be good here. Also some. filters/op-amps The manager was also really pushy on questions about my current employer, she wanted to know how much I make, and why I wanted the position. Then when it was obvious that the pay was lower then what I was currently making, they started to talk down to me about my current job calling it simple and easy.

Finally I was sent to a director who had been there quite a while, he asked me some more technical questions more on the op-amp and power supply side. Make sure that you are fluent in all your electronic components. He was very professional, but looked at the notes from the previous people and got right into calculating the financial differences from night to day shift. They want people to be available to work for them 24/7 for a low price. I think its a great entry level electronics position, but its not where I want to be at this point in my career.

Interview Questions
    • calculating total capacitance for capacitors in parallel. Also the current   View Answer

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2014.

I applied through their website and within a few weeks an HR representative called me to do a phone screening interview. The screening consisted of asking when I was graduating, why I wanted to work for SS/L, if I was willing to relocate, etc. At the end of this call a technical phone interview was scheduled with one of the Engineering hiring managers.
    The technical phone interview was about an hour long. I was asked to go over my resume, my projects, work experience (I had over 3 years experience as Co-Op in College), and the rest of the time was spent asking me about specific technical related topics. These topics included Link Budgets, Transmitter/Receiver Design, Signal Processing, Satellites, and Amplifiers. Although I knew most of everything that was asked, the Engineer was patient with me and was willing to explain what I didn't know.
    At the end of the technical phone interview I was told they were impressed with me and would like to bring me in for an on-site interview. This interview was scheduled for about 2 weeks after my phone call. I had to speak with two different HR representatives to plan everything.
    My on-site interview was about 3 hours long and consisted of 4 interviews with different group managers. Each manager asked different technical/behavioral questions. The focus was on my resume and what I had learned. Questions were intended to show I knew what I had worked on and would be able to transfer skills/knowledge to the company. Nothing extremely difficult. At the end of the interview I was told they would get back to me with a decision. As I was driving off the campus I received a phone call from the HR recruiter offering me the job.
    The only negative experience I had was the travel for the on-site interview. I was flown in and out the same day which gave me little time to see the area and get back to the airport on time. If my return flight had not been delayed then I would have missed my flight.
    Once I accepted the offer I was given relocation package details (I was not a local). The HR recruiters were excellent and very helpful. They made the process very quick and easy. I had several other offers at the time and SS/L definitely were the most professional and understanding in my situation.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how a traveling wave tube amplifier works.   View Answer
    I had other offers at the time which made the negotiation process simpler. I was first given a range in which my offer would fall and was asked if I would be ok with it. I said no, due to my experience, and they agreed and came back with an offer that was in my desired range. Very smooth process.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2014.

Applied for multiple internships and got an initial phone interview for a project management internship. Interview went over my resume mainly to go over past experience in detail as well as why I was interested in a management internship. Followed up with an one-on-one interviews with four project managers separately who each asked the same questions - nothing technical, friendly, pretty relaxed. I didn't get an offer, but I got a couple similar phone interviews a week afterwards for an engineering intern position and I received an offer a couple weeks after that (without an in-person interview). I did apply to both of these internships, but I suspect the first job's interview helped me get the second.

I recommend that you know how to explain and flesh out the details on your resume. Don't put anything you can't talk about on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • What difficult situation did you encounter during one of your projects and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Thermal Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

met with a variety of engineers in the thermal department. for the most part, general questions about past experiences, asked if I had any questions for them.

Interview Questions
    • vague questions about how you deal with working with different types of people   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Very standard--rely heavily on referrals

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Easy, mostly behavioral, will ask about resume

Systems Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

I applied online and HR contacted me to set up an interview. I went in for a 3 hour interview process where I spoke with two of the managers

Interview Questions
    • The managers mainly just spoke with me and discussed the position. The questions they did ask were the basic behavioral questions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Phone interview where my resume was reviewed and discussed in detail. Received an email about a month or two later with an offer. HR was very helpful and friendly in getting the paper work and necessities filled out.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Interview went extremely well, seemed like a shoe in.