Space Systems/Loral Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.8

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2014.

I applied through their website and within a few weeks an HR representative called me to do a phone screening interview. The screening consisted of asking when I was graduating, why I wanted to work for SS/L, if I was willing to relocate, etc. At the end of this call a technical phone interview was scheduled with one of the Engineering hiring managers.
    The technical phone interview was about an hour long. I was asked to go over my resume, my projects, work experience (I had over 3 years experience as Co-Op in College), and the rest of the time was spent asking me about specific technical related topics. These topics included Link Budgets, Transmitter/Receiver Design, Signal Processing, Satellites, and Amplifiers. Although I knew most of everything that was asked, the Engineer was patient with me and was willing to explain what I didn't know.
    At the end of the technical phone interview I was told they were impressed with me and would like to bring me in for an on-site interview. This interview was scheduled for about 2 weeks after my phone call. I had to speak with two different HR representatives to plan everything.
    My on-site interview was about 3 hours long and consisted of 4 interviews with different group managers. Each manager asked different technical/behavioral questions. The focus was on my resume and what I had learned. Questions were intended to show I knew what I had worked on and would be able to transfer skills/knowledge to the company. Nothing extremely difficult. At the end of the interview I was told they would get back to me with a decision. As I was driving off the campus I received a phone call from the HR recruiter offering me the job.
    The only negative experience I had was the travel for the on-site interview. I was flown in and out the same day which gave me little time to see the area and get back to the airport on time. If my return flight had not been delayed then I would have missed my flight.
    Once I accepted the offer I was given relocation package details (I was not a local). The HR recruiters were excellent and very helpful. They made the process very quick and easy. I had several other offers at the time and SS/L definitely were the most professional and understanding in my situation.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how a traveling wave tube amplifier works.   View Answer
    I had other offers at the time which made the negotiation process simpler. I was first given a range in which my offer would fall and was asked if I would be ok with it. I said no, due to my experience, and they agreed and came back with an offer that was in my desired range. Very smooth process.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2014.

Applied for multiple internships and got an initial phone interview for a project management internship. Interview went over my resume mainly to go over past experience in detail as well as why I was interested in a management internship. Followed up with an one-on-one interviews with four project managers separately who each asked the same questions - nothing technical, friendly, pretty relaxed. I didn't get an offer, but I got a couple similar phone interviews a week afterwards for an engineering intern position and I received an offer a couple weeks after that (without an in-person interview). I did apply to both of these internships, but I suspect the first job's interview helped me get the second.

I recommend that you know how to explain and flesh out the details on your resume. Don't put anything you can't talk about on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • What difficult situation did you encounter during one of your projects and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Thermal Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

met with a variety of engineers in the thermal department. for the most part, general questions about past experiences, asked if I had any questions for them.

Interview Questions
    • vague questions about how you deal with working with different types of people   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Very standard--rely heavily on referrals

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Easy, mostly behavioral, will ask about resume

Systems Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

I applied online and HR contacted me to set up an interview. I went in for a 3 hour interview process where I spoke with two of the managers

Interview Questions
    • The managers mainly just spoke with me and discussed the position. The questions they did ask were the basic behavioral questions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Phone interview where my resume was reviewed and discussed in detail. Received an email about a month or two later with an offer. HR was very helpful and friendly in getting the paper work and necessities filled out.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Interview went extremely well, seemed like a shoe in.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

- Apply online
    - Phone screen by recruiter
    - If get past the phone screen, set-up for interview
    - Interview is essentially a full day activity. Back-to-back one-on-one interviews with finance managers. Finance can be rotational so you are interviewing with your potential initial manager and future manager.
    - Some interviewers really focused on the resume. If you list a really interesting course, hobby, or organization, chances are they will talk about that at length. I talked at length about my marathon / running hobbies with one interviewer.
    - Interviewers collect data and rank (experience, extroversion, personality). If ranked higher, job is offered.
    - Recruiter makes offer.
    - After acceptance, starting the job is immediate.

Interview Questions
    • While sitting in the interview room...how many coins will it take to fill up this room?   View Answer
    Was fresh out of college so did not really negotiate.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Straight Forward- was contacted by HR and scheduled a 4 hour block.

After interviewing with the Director, HR manager and ultimately my boss, the interview was over.

It included a description of the organization, a quick tour, as well as introduction to some team members.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of personality questions- a few technical questions but very high level engineering type questions.   Answer Question
    The first offer was low- I had to support and justify a higher pay through both the manager and the HR manager. There was not much room to budge unless your company counter-offered.