Space Systems/Loral

26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Interview Details – Straight Forward- was contacted by HR and scheduled a 4 hour block.

After interviewing with the Director, HR manager and ultimately my boss, the interview was over.

It included a description of the organization, a quick tour, as well as introduction to some team members.

Interview Question – A lot of personality questions- a few technical questions but very high level engineering type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The first offer was low- I had to support and justify a higher pay through both the manager and the HR manager. There was not much room to budge unless your company counter-offered.

Very Difficult Interview

COPRORATE DEVELOPMENT Interview

COPRORATE DEVELOPMENT
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in April 2009.

Interview Details – Recruited through referral from CEO to COO.

Interview Question – How do I know how smart a guy you are?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Too much travel without the economic upside. They wanted me to travel the world to make deals for the company, but the time to Asia from NY was just too far for me.

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Associate Electrical Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Interview Details – The application process was pretty straight forward, I sent my email to the HR dept and received a response within 2 weeks. They arranged all of the travel and rental car logistics painlessly.

As for the actual interview, the format was 1:1 with four employees. Two senior engineers, your would-be supervisor, and your would-be supervisor's manager. The interviews themselves were fair, they primarily explored my resume (all school projects) and peppered questions regarding design reasoning along the way.

I got an offer within the next four business days and accepted. All in all, a very quick and organized interview and matriculation process.

Interview Question – From the device level, can you derive the formula for OIP3?   Answer Question

Satellite Simulation Engineer Interview

Satellite Simulation Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Interview Details – I went through a phone interview that took roughly 30 min. My basic background was reviewed. Was brought in for 1 to 1 and ended up interviewing 5 people in a row. The process took over four hours. Some of the people appeared to have just looked at my resume a couple of minutes before the interview. Other were well prepared.

Interview Question – The simulation for the satellite stops working. How wouldyou trouble shoot the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary was better than my minimum so there was no negotiations.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone from an application through my college career website. They schedule me to come in for a 1:1 interview at my campus. It was a brief interview reviewing my resume. I then was invited to interview in person in Palo Alto. The interview process lasted about 4 hours and consisted of interviews regarding my experience at other jobs etc...No real technical questions.

Interview Question – What did you do if anyone ever claimed they had a better design idea than you?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Palo Alto, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in January 2012.

Interview Details – Large company, very organized interview process. Employees are friendly; they had someone to greet me in the lobby and direct me to the interview room. Interview was not very formal, they asked me about my past working experiences and some other typical interview questions such as why this company? What can you offer us? Overall it was a good interview experience. However, I somehow felt that they're also promoting the company at the same time~

Interview Question – Tell me about your previous job experience. Why did you leave the company?   Answer Question

Test Technician Interview

Test Technician
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through my college's career services website, and got a call for an interview a few days later. I was supposed to have an initial phone interview, but after some confusion, I ended up just going in for an in-person interview. As most of the others have stated, the interview consisted of mostly 1:1 interviews with several managers. Being an EE major, I was presented with some general technical problems that I had to solve in front of the managers. It was a bit nerve wracking, but everyone was very nice and helpful.

My advice for other candidates, is to ask as many questions as you can and be prepared for any questions directly related to your field.

Interview Question – What does a diode look like on a schematic?   View Answer

Senior Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a different position (management), having about six 1:1 interviews in person after a phone interview with one of the managers. A week later HR called me and said I was not being selected for the management position, but would I consider a position as an individual contributor? I said yes and they asked if I could come in the next day for more interviews. I had about five 1:1 interviews that day for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer position. I thought the interviews went well. The third level manager had specifically requested that I return for the second set of interviews, so I was hopeful. We discussed salary and start date. It has been over a month since then and I have not been told anything definitive (yes or no) about the possibility of a job offer. The interviewers were great and everyone seemed to be in a good mood. There were no arrogant, condescending managers there. They were friendly and seemed more interested in how I felt about working for them than how qualified they thought I was for the position. The work culture was busy but friendly and casual. People seemed more concerned with collaboration and results than with anything else. Their benefits are GREAT (reasonably priced medical with several options, 401(k), cheap to add a spouse or other family member, annual performance-based cash bonuses). Seems like a wonderful place to work. Lots of affinity groups for employees with specific interests (volunteering, sports clubs, etc.).

Interview Questions

• Describe a project in which you followed the design from initial customer requirements through prototypes to final production and delivery.   Answer Question
  • Describe your experience working with manufacturing personnel.   Answer Question

Propulsions Engineer Interview

Propulsions Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in March 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the propulsions team back in late March of 2011 and as of today, June 21, 2011, they still have not made any decisions for the position. I have been in contact with HR for 3 months now and they keep giving me very vague reasons for why nothing has happened and when I asked if I was still being considered seriously, I was told the feedback was good so I am quite confused as to what is going on.

The interview itself was pretty easy. I talked with 8 different people who all just basically asked about my resume and senior design project. They also took me to lunch and gave me a tour of the facilities which was pretty interesting.

Interview Questions

• A man is sitting in a boat which is located in a pool and there is also a rock at the bottom of the pool. If the man pulls the rock out of the water and places it in the boat, does the water level increase or decrease?   View Answers (2)
  • Name a situation where you had a discrepancy with a team member. What did you do?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in March 2010.

Interview Details – A friend of mine submitted my resume internally and I received a phone call from the hiring manager to schedule a phone interview at a later date. On the day of the phone interview, the hiring manager asked me questions regarding my background, my experience with lean, and things related with Manufacturing Engineering. I was told that I would be brought in for a 1:1.
At the 1:1, it lasted approximately 1 hour. As we were walking out, the hiring manager indicated his interest in me and asked when I could start. The process was simple and sweet, primarily because my background had been very related and within the same industry.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a Manufacturing Engineer at SS/L?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told that my salary was "blah" on the phone. The recruiter asked what I thought about it. I was driving at the time when I picked up my phone. I didn't really negotiate since I needed a job at that time and had been looking for a couple of months. So not a lot of bargaining power right there...

Interviews for Top Jobs at Space Systems/Loral