Space Systems/Loral Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.9

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Interview went extremely well, seemed like a shoe in.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

- Apply online
    - Phone screen by recruiter
    - If get past the phone screen, set-up for interview
    - Interview is essentially a full day activity. Back-to-back one-on-one interviews with finance managers. Finance can be rotational so you are interviewing with your potential initial manager and future manager.
    - Some interviewers really focused on the resume. If you list a really interesting course, hobby, or organization, chances are they will talk about that at length. I talked at length about my marathon / running hobbies with one interviewer.
    - Interviewers collect data and rank (experience, extroversion, personality). If ranked higher, job is offered.
    - Recruiter makes offer.
    - After acceptance, starting the job is immediate.

Interview Questions
    • While sitting in the interview room...how many coins will it take to fill up this room?   View Answer
    Was fresh out of college so did not really negotiate.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Straight Forward- was contacted by HR and scheduled a 4 hour block.

After interviewing with the Director, HR manager and ultimately my boss, the interview was over.

It included a description of the organization, a quick tour, as well as introduction to some team members.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of personality questions- a few technical questions but very high level engineering type questions.   Answer Question
    The first offer was low- I had to support and justify a higher pay through both the manager and the HR manager. There was not much room to budge unless your company counter-offered.

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

The application process was pretty straight forward, I sent my email to the HR dept and received a response within 2 weeks. They arranged all of the travel and rental car logistics painlessly.

As for the actual interview, the format was 1:1 with four employees. Two senior engineers, your would-be supervisor, and your would-be supervisor's manager. The interviews themselves were fair, they primarily explored my resume (all school projects) and peppered questions regarding design reasoning along the way.

I got an offer within the next four business days and accepted. All in all, a very quick and organized interview and matriculation process.

Interview Questions
    • From the device level, can you derive the formula for OIP3?   Answer Question

Satellite Simulation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

I went through a phone interview that took roughly 30 min. My basic background was reviewed. Was brought in for 1 to 1 and ended up interviewing 5 people in a row. The process took over four hours. Some of the people appeared to have just looked at my resume a couple of minutes before the interview. Other were well prepared.

Interview Questions
    • The simulation for the satellite stops working. How wouldyou trouble shoot the problem.   Answer Question
    The salary was better than my minimum so there was no negotiations.

Propulsion Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in June 2012.

I was referred by another employee, and got a call from the propulsion department manager. He was friendly and asked few questions about my resume and some basic technical questions about rocket propulsion. The phone interview took about 20 minutes and I was offered the position at the end of the call.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in January 2012.

Large company, very organized interview process. Employees are friendly; they had someone to greet me in the lobby and direct me to the interview room. Interview was not very formal, they asked me about my past working experiences and some other typical interview questions such as why this company? What can you offer us? Overall it was a good interview experience. However, I somehow felt that they're also promoting the company at the same time~

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your previous job experience. Why did you leave the company?   Answer Question

Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in December 2011.

I applied for the position through my college's career services website, and got a call for an interview a few days later. I was supposed to have an initial phone interview, but after some confusion, I ended up just going in for an in-person interview. As most of the others have stated, the interview consisted of mostly 1:1 interviews with several managers. Being an EE major, I was presented with some general technical problems that I had to solve in front of the managers. It was a bit nerve wracking, but everyone was very nice and helpful.

My advice for other candidates, is to ask as many questions as you can and be prepared for any questions directly related to your field.

Interview Questions
    • What does a diode look like on a schematic?   View Answer

FPGA Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in June 2011.

It was straight forward and technical in nature. I was asked many technical questions and expected to give correct answer. I can tell by the look in their eyes and the nodding of their heads.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in details some of the complex state machines that I have designs. Also their Pro and cons   View Answer

Senior Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2011.

I interviewed for a different position (management), having about six 1:1 interviews in person after a phone interview with one of the managers. A week later HR called me and said I was not being selected for the management position, but would I consider a position as an individual contributor? I said yes and they asked if I could come in the next day for more interviews. I had about five 1:1 interviews that day for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer position. I thought the interviews went well. The third level manager had specifically requested that I return for the second set of interviews, so I was hopeful. We discussed salary and start date. It has been over a month since then and I have not been told anything definitive (yes or no) about the possibility of a job offer. The interviewers were great and everyone seemed to be in a good mood. There were no arrogant, condescending managers there. They were friendly and seemed more interested in how I felt about working for them than how qualified they thought I was for the position. The work culture was busy but friendly and casual. People seemed more concerned with collaboration and results than with anything else. Their benefits are GREAT (reasonably priced medical with several options, 401(k), cheap to add a spouse or other family member, annual performance-based cash bonuses). Seems like a wonderful place to work. Lots of affinity groups for employees with specific interests (volunteering, sports clubs, etc.).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project in which you followed the design from initial customer requirements through prototypes to final production and delivery.   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience working with manufacturing personnel.   Answer Question