SpareFoot

Updated Aug 15, 2014

2.8

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at SpareFoot.

We went through an interview process known as speed dating, which consisted of about 15 candidates spending two minutes with about 15 employees before going to the next person. It was really fairly ridiculous and became quite obvious that there was no standard for human resources to actually judge your ability to do the job. It was more like pledging a fraternity or sorority to see if you would fit in at karaoke night. The CEO must be extremely new as he was shaking and losing his voice due to nervousness while giving his pitch about the company. Also, it didn't seem right to have to give a copy of your resume to each of the interviewers at each station as that contains job history information that should be compartmentalized by human resources. Overall, I found the process to be extremely unprofessional, despite the CEO telling everyone that they wanted "the best of the best."

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at SpareFoot in July 2014.

I was interviewed by everyone who would be on my team, all my peers and the senior leaders/founders of the company. The process was exhaustive and extremely thorough. They gave me the opportunity of interviewing them as much as they interviewed me and their questions were very purposeful and well thought out. I most loved the fact that none of the interview questions was duplicated, so every meeting "counted."

The interviews started and ended on time, with a great deal of consideration shown for whether I might need a break, snack, etc. The positive culture was something you could feel walking down the hall (not just some meaningless buzz words) as everyone was friendly and welcoming. The interview process itself was super intense, but in a good way as it was obvious they were dedicated to finding someone with the technical expertise to help drive the business with an equal ability to be a cultural fit. Having worked in a high tech environment several years ago, being at SpareFoot felt like I had gone home again and I left knowing I just HAD to have this job!

Interview Questions
    • I can't say any of the questions were necessarily unexpected, but they were all very focused and intense. These people were all super intent on making a very informed decision and they worked hard to make sure they knew who I really was and what I would bring to the table.   Answer Question
    They made their best offer first, which made the negotiation really easy. It didn't involve haggling and feeling like I had to fight to show value. It was really respectful.

ACE Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SpareFoot in July 2014.

Applied online after reading their blog and finding out that they were doing a group interview. The first interview was in a speed dating fashion and had 15 SpareFoot employees interviewing 15 people at the same time. From there I got a 2nd interview that was a mix of 1:1 interviews and group interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot in June 2014.

Process went with a 1 on 1, then a 2 on 1, then a ride along, followed by a 4 on 1. They all asked questions about call center experience and experience with a start up. In addition they wanted to know about sales experience since the job partially entails.

Interview Questions
    • How do you go about finding an answer to something you don't know.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot in June 2014.

I applied for a position around the end of May online. Got an email a couple weeks later with some screener questions. Got a phone interview shortly after. After the phone interview I was offered a group interview, which was two weeks away. After the group interview the recruiter said she would contact us the next week, didn't hear for two weeks. Finally, received a mass rejection email from 'the recruiting team'. Something a long the lines of there is not a position right for you at this moment, even though they are still hiring and doing other hiring events this month.

The group interview was a new thing, a 'speed dating' event. Fifteen candidates meet with fifteen employees for three minutes each. This sounds good and all, but terribly executed. The room was pretty small and packed with thirty people talking over each other. It was so loud that we were basically yelling at each other and saying 'what' a lot. The employees are nice overall. Lots of silly questions and basic questions about customer service. A lot of the employees talked about their previous experience and asked us about ourselves.

Like one of the previous reviews on here, SpareFoot is a really odd company. They say that they hire misfits etc, but I have no idea what they are looking for. There is a STRONG fraternity/bro-ish mindset it seems. They talk about culture and wanting to mold people, but they are looking for a VERY specific type of person, which can be seen from their current employees. Definitely do your research.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty easy, about previous experience and how you handle customer service.   Answer Question

ACE Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot in June 2014.

I applied online and was contacted shortly after to answer a series of e-mail questions, mostly about past work experience. The next step was a phone interview, which was quick and easy. After my phone interview I went to a "speed dating" event at the company office. We were served drinks and snacks and got the opportunity to meet and chat with many employees, although only for a few minutes each. I loved the atmosphere, it was fun and comfortable and made you feel at ease. This event seemed like it was mostly to get a feel for your personality and interests, and to see if you would be a good fit with your co-workers. They also asked some pretty hilarious questions that I was in no way prepared for. The next step in the process was a bit more intense. I was interviewed by several more employees over the timespan of a few hours. At this point they want to figure you out as a person, and it was clear that everyone I talked to was not interested in your typical interview answers...they prefer honesty and transparency. My last interview was a quick 15 minute sit down with the CEO, which sounded much more nerve wracking than it turned out to be. Overall I thought it was a very different and refreshing experience. It's a long process, but it's clear that they are looking for something specific and they take the time to ensure that they get that. Everyone that I have met from Sparefoot seem to be exceptionally kind and interesting! It is also great that you get an opportunity to observe someone working in your prospective job title so that you can see if the position would be a good fit for you. Super excited to work here!!

Interview Questions
    • Which celebrity would you most like to punch in the face?   Answer Question
    Their offer package is easy and straightforward.

ACE Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot.

Applied online, attended open house for ACE prospects, and was offered and interview a few days later. Was given a range of interview dates to accommodate both of our schedule. Interview itself was fairly straightforward -- why are you changing careers, what do you think SpareFoot will offer you, how do you fit this role? The interview itself was unique. First, talked to one person, who then let in two more people when he left. Then got to listen in on calls with one person to see what the job actually entailed, and finally ended with a small panel interview of some more get to know you questions (including a rapid fire round of silly questions). The experience itself was very positive, and I honestly wish more interviews were as laid back as SpareFoot's was!

Interview Questions
    • No joke -- if you could create an ice cream flavor, what would it be and what would you name it?   Answer Question

Applications Developer Interview

Patrick gave a technical interview testing analysis of algorithms and their complexity.

ACE Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot in April 2014.

The interview process was quick. I applied online and got a call from the recruiter. She asked me basic work history questions. I was asked to reply to an email with more questions about my work history, how I handled customers ect, then I was asked for an in person interview.
     First I was interviewed by the head of the Call center and was asked good questions which related to the position. Next it was a 2-1 interview, the interviewers really stressed the frat like environment. I was asked questions and then was pressed when I didn't give them the answer they wanted to hear. I was told they "didn't get who I was" in the initial 5 minutes of meeting them. Very much wanted one type of personality and if you don't fit that, do not expect to get a job here. Next went on the floor and listened to calls. Finally, it was a 5-1 interview with the group asking random silly questions and some related to the job.
     Overall, it was not a good experience. For a company who prides themselves on hiring "misfits" they certainly only hire people who fit the persona they are trying to exude.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were too difficult, some were just random and have nothing to do with the job.   Answer Question

ACE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot in February 2014.

I submitted an application and was asked some general questions about my relevant work history by the company's internal recruiter. A couple weeks later I was invited to attend an open house for the position. The Open House was a great opportunity to get a glimpse into the actual working environment. Current employees working in that role were present and they conducted mini-interviews with all the attendees. I ultimately decided that it was not a good fit for me but I would highly recommend that individuals judge for themselves. Everyone was very friendly and I consider it to be an overall, positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • It felt a little like a sorority or fraternity rush being "interviewed" by 25 different people. Everyone had their own questions but they all seemed pretty relevant.   Answer Question