SpareFoot Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at SpareFoot.

Interview

A 2 hour interview process, with 3 rounds of interviews. The first was typical, asked about background and education. Second was with team leads; again, typical questions. Third, which was interesting, was a panel of employees on the same level I was applying for. One man was drinking a beer in the interview. Very unprofessional. A woman told me my outgoing personality was overwhelming and asked me if I even knew how to calm down. Downright rude and unprofessional. I declined my application immediately.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? (besides benefits, etc.)   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you failed at work and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Interview

I submitted an application and was contacted about 1 week later for a phone interview. The phone interview felt pointless to me because the person I talked with only said "OK" in response to any of my answers and did not engage in the conversation at all. She sounded really bored with even the beginning questions (Who are you, why SpareFoot, etc.) After about 3 questions, she told me that I was "too high level and ambitious" for this role and that they were looking for people who didn't want to grow on the team. I couldn't believe that a representative from a fast-paced start-up would say something like that. She then encouraged me to apply for a higher level position, which I did, and was promptly rejected from with no explanation. Just seemed like the interviewer didn't want to talk with me in the first place, which, if so, why reach out for a phone interview at all?

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this role? (but honestly she barely asked me any questions).   Answer Question

SpareFoot Response

Mar 20, 2015CEO

Thank you for your candid feedback as our recruiting team is always looking to improve our interview process. It sounds like you were a very strong potential candidate, but because this is entry ... More

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SpareFoot.

Interview

I applied for a client position at Sparefoot I clearly have 3+ years experience doing something similar to the position posted. Less than 24 hours after submitting my application I got a no-reply e-mail back stating that we reviewed your background and qualifications, but we don't have any appropriate positions for you at this time.

Not convinced they actually reviewed my application as with some of these more entry level positions in Austin they usually end hiring people purely around nepotism.

Interview Questions

• If you spent more time accurately recruiting talent as you did on your "creative" hiring video I think it would be more of a positive long term contribution to your company.   Answer Question

SpareFoot Response

Mar 20, 2015CEO

We appreciate your feedback and are always looking to improve! We work very hard to provide a quick response to our candidates, so I can understand how you may have felt it was faster than ... More

ACE Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

it was a 30 min phone interview and the lady conducting it was pleasant. She asked to go over my job history, which is pretty standard. She also asked how i found out about the job, if i was looking anywhere else, my timeline to find a job, what attracted me to the job, how much i expected to make, upon which she advised me how much the job offered. There we additional questions but i cannot recall them all. She then advised that they would be in touch.

I received an email 2 days after the phone interview stating they did not have an appropriate position for me at this time. I was disappointed considering i have over 10 years experience as a top performer in the customer service field but it seems i wasn't what they were looking for.

Seems like a great company to work for, i wouldn't have applied otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Are you looking for employment elsewhere?

How much are you looking to be paid?

Answer Question

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

1st round was a techical phone screen.
    2nd round cosisted of an all-day event where I participated in different activities with different members of the staff.
    A. Technical questions about programming and design patterns with the development lead
    B. paried programming with 2 developer peers
    C. Lunch with one of the development teams
    D. Interview with the project manager
    E. Interview with an Executive
    C. Interview with a team lead.

3rd round was the next week where I can in and had lunch and discussion with a different team.

Interview Questions

• Create a function that builds an array of random numbers, with input parameters for length of the array and maximum number value.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SpareFoot.

Interview

Phone-Interview. I was called around 1 and the interview lasted 15-20 mins. The questions asked were normal interview questions. What have you done in your past jobs, to prepare you for this position? What compensation are you looking for?

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the most difficult for you, when reviewing the job description?   Answer Question

Awesome Customer Experience (ACE) Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

There was a 18 round speed dating type interview process. I went in not really knowing what to expect. The whole process seemed to see how at ease you can be in tense situations. You basically went to a different person every 3 mins and answered questions. Some questions were personality type questions, while some were weird questions to see where your head is at. I personally loved it. Sparefoot does not seem like a place you would want to work at if you can not think on your feet. They want unique individuals that have the ability to also work well on a team. Some people will not be able to shine in this type of interview process, which is the point. They want to see the real you, not the one where you can act a certain way through the normal interview process.

Interview Questions

• What would your worst enemy say about you?   2 Answers

ACE Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SpareFoot (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

If you're looking for a relatively quick/ short hiring process, get ready to wait. The entire thing took me about a month. I had applied once before and was almost immediately rejected but decided to try again... I sent in my resume and cover letter, and was prompted to answer a long list of open-ended questions/ take a typing test. Then I was invited to the speed dating interview, in which I had to meet 18 different employees for three minutes apiece. Lots of people here are hating on this part, but I actually liked it-- It gives everyone, not just managers and upper-level people a say in the hiring process. I then got called back for the next step, which was a one-on-one, then a two-on-one, and then a four-on-one. They apparently liked me, and asked for three references to reach out to. Be aware, this is not like other jobs-- they WILL actually call/email your references and ask them super in-depth, critical questions, so be careful who you list. Then I had my interview with the CEO (the easiest part of the whole thing.) And then I got hired!
    Remember that it took me two times to make it through. I have friends who have applied three times and gotten rejected every time. They take hiring really seriously. But it's worth jumping through all the hoops.
    My best advice to anyone applying: They don't want pre-canned interview answers. They want you to be GENUINE above all else-- I know it's cliched, but just be yourself. Be honest and off-the-cuff. If they feel as if you're being rehearsed, you won't hear back from them. Show them why you're interesting, why you're unique, and what your personality is. I actually ended up fort of arguing with one of my interviewers (whoops?) and cursing a fair amount in my four-on-one (to be fair, I was making a joke.) This isn't your average interview, because it's not your average company! Don't listen to all the negative reviews in this section though-- those people are just mad they weren't hired.

Interview Questions

• What would your roller derby team name be?   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SpareFoot (Austin, TX).

Interview

We went through an interview process known as speed dating, which consisted of about 15 candidates spending two minutes with about 15 employees before going to the next person. It was really fairly ridiculous and became quite obvious that there was no standard for human resources to actually judge your ability to do the job. It was more like pledging a fraternity or sorority to see if you would fit in at karaoke night. The CEO must be extremely new as he was shaking and losing his voice due to nervousness while giving his pitch about the company. Also, it didn't seem right to have to give a copy of your resume to each of the interviewers at each station as that contains job history information that should be compartmentalized by human resources. Overall, I found the process to be extremely unprofessional, despite the CEO telling everyone that they wanted "the best of the best."

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at SpareFoot (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by everyone who would be on my team, all my peers and the senior leaders/founders of the company. The process was exhaustive and extremely thorough. They gave me the opportunity of interviewing them as much as they interviewed me and their questions were very purposeful and well thought out. I most loved the fact that none of the interview questions was duplicated, so every meeting "counted."

The interviews started and ended on time, with a great deal of consideration shown for whether I might need a break, snack, etc. The positive culture was something you could feel walking down the hall (not just some meaningless buzz words) as everyone was friendly and welcoming. The interview process itself was super intense, but in a good way as it was obvious they were dedicated to finding someone with the technical expertise to help drive the business with an equal ability to be a cultural fit. Having worked in a high tech environment several years ago, being at SpareFoot felt like I had gone home again and I left knowing I just HAD to have this job!

Interview Questions

• I can't say any of the questions were necessarily unexpected, but they were all very focused and intense. These people were all super intent on making a very informed decision and they worked hard to make sure they knew who I really was and what I would bring to the table.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made their best offer first, which made the negotiation really easy. It didn't involve haggling and feeling like I had to fight to show value. It was really respectful.