Special Olympics

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014

2.9

Associate Director of Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Special Olympics.

Went through the job description. Spoke a lot about employee burn out and frequent turnover of the position. Told me they had 100 other applicants. Not a challenging interview by any means.

Development Department- Mid to Upper Level Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Special Olympics.

Initial communication was great- first a phone interview followed by an in-person interview. The interview itself went well, although the Executive Director arrived half-way through then preceded to check email on her phone the whole time. I was told they would be arriving at a decision by the end of the following week. Then nothing. No call. No email. Nothing to tell me whether I had or hadn't received "made the cut." First employer ever to do that. Frankly, I was not impressed.

Senior Manager Internal Communications Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Special Olympics.

They did not have their interview act together. They told me I'd talk to 5 people consecutively, with a break between 2 & 3. My "break" was wondering what to do because the conference room I'd been marooned in was filling up w/ people gathering for a meeting, and I was supposed to wait to talk to somebody from HR before I took the "break." I gathered up my papers and waited in the hall for somebody to come find me. HR person never did show up. Then I was marooned in a office for 40 minutes between #4 and #5 because #5 was "running late" and didn't send anybody to tell me and all the offices around were empty so there was nobody to ask. I got out of there an hour later than scheduled and as I was about to go, the HR lady called and told me to come find her on another floor of the building. The punchline was the email I got FOUR weeks later, turning me down because they'd seen so many great people during the preceding TWO weeks.

Special Olympics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Special Olympics in February 2012.

I intereviewed in person and was told that within the week I would hear back, either way, as to whether or not I would be considered for a second interview. When a week and a half went by and I had heard nothing, I emailed my contact, was told the second interviews were delayed due to scheduling conflicts and they would be getting in touch with me soon. The next contact I got was over two weeks later which was a form letter telling me they went with a better-suited candidate. I was very disappointed that I was left waiting for such a long period of time after originally being told I would be called within a week.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

Senior Development Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Special Olympics in August 2010.

I completed an application on line and was called for interview within two days. Was received in office and was greeted by staff. I intervied with CEO for approximately 1 hour.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a question that I found difficult or unexpected   View Answer
    • What percentage of your budget di you achieve.   View Answer

The pay was not in my range

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Special Olympics in April 2012.

I applied online after seeing a posting for Marketing position at the Special Olympics of Massachusetts. I received an email to set up a time for a phone screening. I spoke directly with the hiring manager during the phone screening. She let me know that I would receive an email telling me if I will have an in person interview. I received the email and set up a time to come to the office for an in person interview. The in person interview was with 5 people all at once. I had to wait a little while to get into the room because they were conducting interviews back to back. The interview was casual though some questions were tricky. The group was very nice and it was clear they all worked very closely.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to make our marketing better?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Special Olympics in August 2011.

After sending in my cover letter and resume, I followed up with the office two weeks after the closing date. I was told that they were just looking at them and would be called I was shortlisted. I received a call later that afternoon from the president and we had 15-20 phone conversation which later was revealed to be a phone interview to catch my passion for this organization. I was called in for an interview and was offered the position two days later.

Interview Questions
    • My most difficult question came in the computer expertise. Not my strongest suit but I was willing to learn and have taken extra courses in that since starting.   Answer Question

Program Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Special Olympics in March 2007.

After applying via e-mail, I was contacted the day of the closing of the posting. Set up an phone interview for the next day as I was in a different city. Phone interview was with two employees asking typical questions. I was contacted the next day to set up a second interview with the President. Second interview went much like the first, but with more direct, detailed questions. I was offered the position the day (after negotiating salary for a hour or two). I was flown out for a week in advance to work with an outgoing employee in a similar position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you feel you failed.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever disagreed with your supervisor, how did you handle the situation and how did it affect the job at hand?   Answer Question
    Semi-formal, fairly basic. Offered A, counter offer C, settle on B.