Specialized Bicycle Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2015

3.3

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morgan Hill, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle (Morgan Hill, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Took FOREVER. Very unresponsive HR department. I nearly gave up on them - and should have. If you don't shave your legs, like spandex and granola -- you probably have a better chance than I did.Oh, you should probably ALREADY WORK THERE. Why did you interview me , make me take a test and have me believe I had a chance? Screw your terrible free lunch. You are all awful people. Seriously, terrible.

Interview Questions

• What was is your 5 year career plan.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle.

Interview

I was offered the position via email from the engineering team. They said that HR would be drafting up an offer letter shortly and send it my way. A week passed and they acted as if this was never mentioned. They said the position went to someone else after my attempt at contacting them. Obviously, you never have the position until you sign the offer letter, but I thought the way Specialized conducted themselves in this case was really strange and unprofessional on their end. There must have been a breakdown of communication within Specialized regarding this position and interview process.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morgan Hill, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle (Morgan Hill, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter, then skype interview with a team member, then on site visit with 4 sessions total. Had to take an online assessment test prior to the on site - which reminded me of the SATs and was stressful. Was told I'd have to wait 3 weeks for a decision, but was then brought in for another on site interview. At the end of the sessions, I took a 30 min skills test creating and proofreading documents and data-entry as pertaining to the role. Got to ride a bike on my interview - if they offer, go on the ride. If they don't offer, ask for one! The people were nice and fairly communicative, it just took a few weeks and seemed like a lot of meetings for an entry-level role.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online then received an email from the hiring manager a few weeks later then spoke with her over the phone. A month went by and nothing then the HR manager contacted me to see if I was still interested and asked to setup another phone screen with a different employee. After that phone screen I was asked to be brought in for an in-person panel interview. I met with 6 different people for 2 hours. It was interesting to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Why Specialized? How do you feel about production work? Are you aware of what we do here?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morgan Hill, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle (Morgan Hill, CA).

Interview

Overall process worked as follows: initial phone screen --> multiple Skype sessions with hiring manager, a few team members, and other functional contacts --> onsite interview that lasted all day with HQ tour, lunch, lunch ride, mostly 1:1 interviews, and final 1:many interview with hiring team The interview process is extensive both in depth and potentially time, but it provided a fantastic opportunity for me, the candidate, to scope out a wide range of people and culture which ultimately bolstered my offer decision. Having accepted the offer, it was also reassuring to know that everyone else had gone through a similar interview process; if everyone had made it through "all that" then I ought to be surrounded with some pretty great people. Specialized employees are pretty direct in their communication which I loved. You can ask them tough questions and get refreshingly straight answers. They're not out to deceive or mask their unique environment. You can either deal with the directness, leverage it, and reciprocate or potentially get gobbled up; their BS detectors are strong.

Interview Questions

• Why should we NOT hire you? In other words, what should Specialized really expect from you including weaknesses. It's actually a great way to ask such a question. It's quite thought provoking to formulate an answer that begins with "Do not hire me if..."   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate.

Project Manager Interview

Application

The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle in September 2014.

Interview

Applied twice over the course of several months and then recieved a email regarding a phone interview. Standard applicable questions, not too stressful or difficult. Was told I would recieve a call back from the head of a dept, but never did. Followed up and was told the same thing, again never did. Finally on the third time I inquired I was told they went with another applicant. I believe the position I interviewed for was a bit liquid, and not very defined. Also I neglected to discuss my salary expectations initally which may have put a sour taste in their mouth. All in all it was a decent experience. I must have misread the interviewer though because I thought they had liked me for the position.

Interview Questions

• What difficulties did you face bringing a new product to market and how did you over come them?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle.

Interview

Applied in early March, email to coordinate phone interview 3 weeks later. No contact with HR, interview was with product manager. It was very professional with some typical questions: Tell me about yourself, what are difficulties communicating, how do you motivate people to accomplish something, along with cycling specific questions: what's your favorite ride, what's your favorite piece of equipment, what do you think the next big thing will be in cycling. Overall interview lasted half hour. According to the interviewer, multiple people were interviewing multiple people for multiple positions and they would sit down and discuss the candidates together.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morgan Hill, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle (Morgan Hill, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Started with an initial basic phone interview. Afterwards had a second phone interview. Followed by a 30 minute or so Skype interview. Was then scheduled for an in person interview at the headquarters which took approx 6 hours, and met with several individuals from multiple departments. Mostly 2 or 3 at a time, but one on one as well.

Interview Questions

• What was one thing you accomplished in your previous position that you're proud of   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morgan Hill, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Specialized Bicycle (Morgan Hill, CA).

Interview

None, doen by owner not by HR

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Strange HR was just doing as the owner told them to, had to find everything our myself about how the company functions and all.

Credit Representative Interview

Interview

First you will get a phone screen from HR. They give you an overview of the position, ask you simple questions like what is your past work experience, what can you offer, why do you want to work at Specialized. If all goes well, you will be invited to have an interview onsite. You interview with two guys from HR and two credit reps- all at the same time. They go into more detail about the position. They ask questions like how do you deal with stress? If you were at a restaurant and you received poor service what would you do? What are your talents? Is there anything that you don't want us to know? After that, if all's still running well, you'll be asked to come in for a second and final onsite interview. However, prior to your second onsite interview, you are give an online assessment, which tests your typing skills, ability to identify like terms, and a comprehension test. At the second onsite interview, you will meet different departments at different times. You'll meet the Credit Supervisor, then talk with a couple sales people, then talk to a couple credit reps, and then end the day with HR. The final interview takes about 2 hours.