Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

2.7

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery.

I sent a resume through Craigslist to Specialties, I was contacted by their Recruiter from their own Human Resource Department within a week. I filled out an online questionnaire Got the job within two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was really basic...they will want to know if you have tried their food at all...Please do try it before interview so you can give them your favorite item. Trust me the fact that I was familiar with their product was the deciding choice between me and another candidate.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in November 2012.

I was surfing craigslist.com for jobs matching my skills and came across a barista position (among many others) at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery. I filled out an application online that had your basic questions along with a few areas where you were asked to write little paragraphs about why you wanted to work at Specialty's, what kind of experience did I have, that sort of thing. Within 48 hours I was contacted by the general manager for an interview, scheduled for the following Monday (this was a Friday). He asked me to do an online assessment in the meantime.
        The assessment was typical, the ones where you are asked to strongly agree or disagree with statements, no math problems or writing required, strictly multiple choice. There were a few difficult questions to answer on it because they weren't specific but just a few. Apparently they use this assessment to figure out which interview questions to ask you in your interview, which was what the man told me.
       I had researched as much info about the company online beforehand, I even tried to look up as much about the interview here at glassdoor to see what questions might be asked or what to expect from the process. From what I had read, most people said it was very easy and laid back, so I wasn't worried at all! Boy, that was a mistake. I know, I know ... every interview is different, especially when the person interviewing you is a completely different person than the one the people here on glassdoor were talking about ... because if they had this guy they would have said that this interview was HARD. First off, I was not offered a drink or anything, which I thought was very odd, considering this was a restaurant and Ive *always* been politely offered at LEAST a water for my interview.The guy was *very* professional, no jokes, no light conversation or any gestures to make me feel at ease with him ... strictly business the whole time. There were a *lot* of questions, some that I can remember were "where do u see yourself in 5 yrs? Tell me about yourself. What would you do in a situation where you had to multitask? Tell me how you would handle a situation where a customer/co-worker started to get upset and carried away? Tell me about a time when you had to perform a task that you were unfamiliar with." The man stared forever, I mean FOREVER. When I was done answering a question he would pause ... and stare at me, as if expecting me to continue (even if I had given a very long answer that would have suited ANYONE on the planet!) and then it would get very awkward and he would just say "OK THEN!" which made me feel as if any answer I gave was just sooo insignificant.
       The man asked me probably about a half dozen times throughout the interview if I had any questions. No matter how many questions I asked, that was what he would keep asking. I asked towards the end what the process would be from that point, he just said he had others to interview and I would know something by the end of the week. I got the impression there would not be another interview with another manager or employee of any type, possibly no drug test, and I'm not certain but it didn't seem like he was going to check any of my references (of course maybe I got these impressions because he just knew he wasn't going to hire me at all).

Sandwich Line Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in January 2012.

A job fair was held at a Specialty's not too far from my home. They asked you where you would prefer to be located, and which position you desired. However, when it gets down to it they tell you where they need you and what they need you to do. They ask simple questions and if you seem competent they hire you right away, you just have to come in to fill out HR paperwork later.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have that can relate to restaurant industry?   View Answer
    No negotiation process.

Guest Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in January 2011.

Friend recommended I apply. I went on Craigslist and found the posting and applied online. I was then called in for an interview.

Closing Shift Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in December 2010.

The resume is unclear where to actually upload, there are problems with the links, the direction given to me by recruiters at the home office did not match the website and I had a hard time finding the application as well as the position I originally heard was available through word of mouth. I had a great phone interview w/ a woman named Kiren that reassured me of my original impression of company though. Then I waited 3 weeks to get a call back for an in-person interview with a Regional Manager. I respect he is very busy but so I am I looking for a better job than my current one.

Interview Questions
    • Asked if I knew what the ice water ratio was for calibrating a thermometer in ice bath.   View Answer

It seemed very disorganized and over-complex. Just listening to them try and explain the overlapping sales categories made me wonder how to efficiently manage & analyze sales data when it wasn't clearly reported or tracked. I was excited to grow personally along with a young company but got more of a dangled carrot impression. It sounded like they were pushing to grow but had a lot still necessary to be fixed, while unwilling to be self-accountable. I asked about internal growth to these home office support positions. I got the impression they didn't believe their own people had the talent to help them succeed if empowered or given the opportunity. They were looking for outside 'experienced' talent. I have already worked for a company that went this route, and the new people came in re-inventing the wheel when the current one just needed a patch up.

Customer Relation Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in October 2010.

Specialty’s Café and Bakery job position was posted on CRAIGSLIST.com -- October 1 and 15th.

Job seekers were directed to apply online, which I did. About a week later, I emailed the company to get a status on my application and got a reply from HR stating that they had alot of applicants and were taking a little longer then they had anticipated & will be in contact soon. Well another couple weeks pass and I emailed again for a status and this time was told they had offered the position to an "internal candidate".

I wish businesses & companies would consider hiring their internal candidates first before posting jobs externally. I have come across many employers that I have applied to that response this way. The HR did mention getting in touch if another position becomes open in the future. At least I got a response, but it's hard in a stagnant after-recovery/recession job market.

Kitchen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in October 2010.

I applied online for Specialtys Cafe and Bakery. After about 4 weeks I received a call saying I had an interview. When I got to the store for the interview I was told to take a seat and the kitchen lead would be right out. When she came out she asked me numerous questions about my background experiance and why I wanted to work for this company. She was very short with me and seemed a little rude. It was also very hard for me to understand what she was saying to me. After she went back to the kitchen, the manager came and asked me questions. She was very nice and informative about the job. I was then given a skills test that I had to complete. After I was told I would be called within the next couple days.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to work in a team environment before?   View Answer

I chose to decline the offer because of how the kitchen manager acted. Even though the store manger was very pleasant and I would have been very happy working for her, I knew that most of my communication would be with the kitchen manager. She just didnt seem that happy interviewing me. She made me feel like I wasnt worth her time. As I had another job offer, I didnt want to turn that one down and work for a manager that treated me like that just on the interview. Who knew what it would be like every day.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in September 2008.

Very simple interview. Consisted of being asked a few simple questions by the team lead, then I was asked about my availability and experience. Very laid back

Interview Questions
    • How do you develop relationships with your clients?   View Answer

General Manager Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery.

I initially had an interview with the area HR Manager, Regional Director and Operations Manager. All 3 interviews were very professional, yet challenging in a positive way. I was thoroughly impressed with every level of the interviews, and flow.

Cafe Manager Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in May 2012.

Short phone interview followed by two 1:1 interviews on site. It seemed there was a little confusion over the role requirements between the initial conversation and the face to face interview, but that was quickly resolved. Everyone was very friendly and the interview was quite easy.