Spectra Logic

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assembler Interview

Assembler

Interviewed at Spectra Logic

Interview Details – There was no interview, I was a temp for more than a year before I was hired. This was unusual, most temp-to-hire positions are 6 months or less to hire. Very long temp periods are normal for this cheap company.

Interview Question – As there was no interview, there were no questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boulder, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Spectra Logic in December 2012.

Interview Details – An HR person initially approached me on Linkedin and asked me if I was interested in moving to Boulder and working for Spectra Logic. After that I had a total of 3 phone interviews, 1 programming assignment and 1 half-day onsite interview. The overall experience was positive, but I have no clue why I did not get an offer.

Exactly 4 days after the onsite interview later I got a vague e-mail from HR saying that my credentials are impressive, but they decided to pursue other candidates instead!

Interview Question – 1- What is the difference between run-time polymorphism and compile-time polymorphism. How does C++ implement compile-time polymorphism.
2- What 4-letter acronym enables polymorphism in C++?
3- Refactor the following class to make it more testable.
4- Write code to detect circular paths in a linked list.
5- Write a function to delete a given node in a singly-linked list.
  View Answer

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Spectra Logic in July 2010.

Interview Details – Very in-depth hiring process, lots of interviews with different people in the department.

Interview Question – Be prepared for a test   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is always room to negotiate

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Spectra Logic in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communication over the phone with a recruiter who assesses job fit and the candidate's desire, talks about the company culture, and may assign an exercise to demonstrate proficiency in coding.

If you're selected for onsite interviews, you'll spend the middle of the day meeting with the hiring manager and his team, as well as engineering management. You'll take a Wonderlic Cognitive Ability test and a manager will review your entire employment history and ask about past supervisors or managers. One interviewer will take you to lunch in the cafeteria as well.

If you are offered a job, you will probably hear from the hiring manager directly. You can negotiate to some extent (such as requesting more vacation, which tops out at 3 weeks per year). Once you agree to the offer terms and a start date, you'll receive a formal offer via e-mail, which you can accept electronically.

Interview Question – If you are interviewed by the CTO, expect an extremely challenging puzzle question such as "I have a large irregularly-shaped swimming pool. How can I find out how much water is in it?" The "correct" answer might be obvious but will probably be very obscure. The question is meant to reveal your thought process and technical background.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated with the hiring manager to accrue 3 weeks vacation per year and a slightly higher salary than the initial offer. The negotiation was cordial on both parts, and Spectra delivered the offer very quickly.

Support Technician Interview

Support Technician
Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Spectra Logic in January 2012.

Interview Details – Hard interview process. This company interviews and interviews. This is because there is a unique type of employee that fits in here and they don't want to hire a bad fit. Positive, happy work environment. Sure the interview process is long, but its worth it in the end.

Interview Question – 3 Light bulbs in a room three switches outside the room. You can only enter the room once, how can you tell which light switch controls each bulb.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It wasn't easy, but start high right from the get go, this might get you a bit more. This company doesn't pay well, but you are treated wonderfully

Sales Interview

Sales
Boulder, CO

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Spectra Logic in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview, a first face to face interview and then a final interview with multiple people (5 total, seperately).

Interview Question – Name a time when you showed outstanding leadership   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Spectra Logic in May 2011.

Interview Details – Process was long but not unpleasant. People are great.

Negotiation Details – Definitely negotiate!

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Spectra Logic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spectra Logic interview questions and advice in Boulder, CO. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Spectra Logic employees and interview candidates.