Spectra Logic

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assembler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

There was no interview, I was a temp for more than a year before I was hired. This was unusual, most temp-to-hire positions are 6 months or less to hire. Very long temp periods are normal for this cheap company.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Spectra Logic in June 2014.

The particulars of the interview were not communicated ahead of time; it was scheduled for less than an hour and indicated I would only be seeing a manager and engineer for about half an hour each.

The manager did the usual "get to know the real you" stuff; what are your strengths and weaknesses, etc. The engineer, however, had a set of technical tasks for me to do. Not totally unheard of though I think I would have liked some heads up on the area of interests that they were focusing on so I could review some of the least recently used skills on my resume. (The job description wasn't very helpful in this respect either.) However, the presentation of these tasks turned out to be somewhat amateurish and inconsistent anyways and I'm not sure anyone could have prepared for it. I believe to detail the experience too much would probably violate Glassdoor's rant, vent, or defame policy, so I'll be brief and general. Some questions could have been framed in such a way as to determine my understanding of the underlying concept without being overly esoteric and specific at a level only those who routinely use that knowledge would know. Some questions were clearly formed using vocabularies and glossaries not paralleled in usage exactly the same way in other companies and asking him to elaborate just got him upset. And unfortunately, he sometimes had the wrong answers to some of his own questions and he did not seem to like being corrected. (Not good when you are trying to get into this guy's good graces....and I wasn't very tactful in dealing with it.) In the end, most the material wasn't difficult, but it was presented so badly that anyone one a little nervous and pressed for time probably would have difficulty with it.

In the end, I did not get an invite back for round two. Actually, I sensed this was not my type of company and was oddly relieved they did not call me back.

Interview Questions
    • They were looking for someone to write firmware in C++ and had a small program as part of test for this. Since I had indicated my experience in this are was from many years ago and not very long in duration, I did not believe they would test me and I did not prepare for this.   View Answer
    • Even though this job did not indicate a working knowledge of electromechanical devices, such as motors, be prepared for it. Many code writers do not have experience in this area.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Spectra Logic in December 2012.

An HR person initially approached me on Linkedin and asked me if I was interested in moving to Boulder and working for Spectra Logic. After that I had a total of 3 phone interviews, 1 programming assignment and 1 half-day onsite interview. The overall experience was positive, but I have no clue why I did not get an offer.

Exactly 4 days after the onsite interview later I got a vague e-mail from HR saying that my credentials are impressive, but they decided to pursue other candidates instead!

Interview Questions
    • 1- What is the difference between run-time polymorphism and compile-time polymorphism. How does C++ implement compile-time polymorphism.
      2- What 4-letter acronym enables polymorphism in C++?
      3- Refactor the following class to make it more testable.
      4- Write code to detect circular paths in a linked list.
      5- Write a function to delete a given node in a singly-linked list.
        View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Spectra Logic in April 2012.

Initial communication over the phone with a recruiter who assesses job fit and the candidate's desire, talks about the company culture, and may assign an exercise to demonstrate proficiency in coding.

If you're selected for onsite interviews, you'll spend the middle of the day meeting with the hiring manager and his team, as well as engineering management. You'll take a Wonderlic Cognitive Ability test and a manager will review your entire employment history and ask about past supervisors or managers. One interviewer will take you to lunch in the cafeteria as well.

If you are offered a job, you will probably hear from the hiring manager directly. You can negotiate to some extent (such as requesting more vacation, which tops out at 3 weeks per year). Once you agree to the offer terms and a start date, you'll receive a formal offer via e-mail, which you can accept electronically.

Interview Questions
    • If you are interviewed by the CTO, expect an extremely challenging puzzle question such as "I have a large irregularly-shaped swimming pool. How can I find out how much water is in it?" The "correct" answer might be obvious but will probably be very obscure. The question is meant to reveal your thought process and technical background.   View Answer
    I negotiated with the hiring manager to accrue 3 weeks vacation per year and a slightly higher salary than the initial offer. The negotiation was cordial on both parts, and Spectra delivered the offer very quickly.

Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Spectra Logic in January 2012.

Hard interview process. This company interviews and interviews. This is because there is a unique type of employee that fits in here and they don't want to hire a bad fit. Positive, happy work environment. Sure the interview process is long, but its worth it in the end.

Interview Questions
    • 3 Light bulbs in a room three switches outside the room. You can only enter the room once, how can you tell which light switch controls each bulb.   View Answer
    It wasn't easy, but start high right from the get go, this might get you a bit more. This company doesn't pay well, but you are treated wonderfully

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Spectra Logic in November 2011.

I had a phone interview, a first face to face interview and then a final interview with multiple people (5 total, seperately).

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you showed outstanding leadership   View Answer
    No negotiation

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Spectra Logic in May 2011.

Process was long but not unpleasant. People are great.

Definitely negotiate!

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Spectra Logic in July 2010.

Very in-depth hiring process, lots of interviews with different people in the department.

Interview Questions
    There is always room to negotiate