Spiceworks

Spiceworks Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Spiceworks.

Initially gave my resume to a recruiter at my school’s career fair and was told about the company, their culture, and the technology they use. Got a call back 3.5 weeks later asking if I was available for an on-campus interview with the CTO in just a couple of days. He was nice and asked about a thing or two on my resume then gave me a coding challenge on paper. After I came up with a solution, he discussed my answer and other possible ones then gave me time for a question or two. This is something I noticed and liked about all of their technical interviews – each interviewer gave feedback about my answers, either along the way or when I was done, and made it feel more collaborative.

It took them a little over a month to get back to me about moving forward. A week after that, I had a phone interview with a lead developer. He was friendly, laid-back, and I enjoyed the interview a good deal. Instead of focusing on my resume, he asked me a number of technical questions to gauge my experience. Many of them I didn’t know, but he told me that was ok and to guess what I thought the answer was anyways. After each one, we discussed the answer and he elaborated on why he chose to ask that question. Then we did a collaborative coding question on a live text editor site (similar to Google Docs). Along the way, he pointed out what I might want to think about and discussed my solution to the problem in an open and friendly manner.

I then got an email back after a few days to schedule an on-site at their HQ in Austin. The location of their office was a bit of a drive from downtown Austin and not much around which was probably the only negative of my time there. Anyways, the on-site consisted of four technical interviews, lunch (not really an interview), and the potential of meeting with the CEO and another higher-up. I say potential because that is what I kept being told, but it definitely seemed like the last two interviews were only for people who passed the other ones that day. The technical interviews were similar to the previous ones except with a whiteboard this time. And after those, I met with the VP of Products and the CEO. Everyone I met there was amicable, down to earth, and willing to talk openly about the company. The whole experience at their office was relaxed and it all seemed to click. I received an offer a couple of days later which I negotiated up a bit and decided to accept based on my experience with the people.

Overall, I got the impression that culture is something everyone values deeply and they work hard to maintain a good and positive atmosphere. Everybody was exceptionally friendly and it was easy to tell they were on top of their game. The CEO discussed with me why he co-founded the company and had an honest conversation about the growth the company is currently experiencing and what that means going forward. I came away from it all very impressed to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • String manipulation mostly - more specific questions can be found in other reviews   Answer Question
    I negotiated for more which they met me halfway on.

UI Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Spiceworks.

I submitted online and heard back from the rep who was very friendly and we got along very well on the phone. They told me all about the company and vision so I was very excited to submit to the position. I'm from out of town looking to relocate so I had that working against me but the rep assured me I'd get a fair fight. She forwarded my info onto the team and I heard back a few days later with a code sample challenge to do and submit. The sample required me to only use UnderscoreJS which isn't a good library to use for the code sample. I wrote back asking if I could use AngularJS instead which is the industry leader and perfect library to use for the sample. They said no so it took me a week to do because I had to learn it from scratch. It was very time consuming but I got done. Heard back, they said no, without feedback and relisted the job I know I'm perfect for.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Spiceworks.

I submitted an application online and was asked for a phone interview in a few days' time. I had two phone interviews - one with HR and another with the hiring manager - as well as a case study. Overall, they were very friendly people who were trying to fill a new role with ambiguous expectations. All of their interview questions helped me to get a really good idea of their expectations for the role. They were very open about their shortcomings (really just for reasons of inexperience for such a new role), which was great.

Ultimately I wasn't offered the position because, so they say, my experience wasn't quite on point with what they were looking for. However, I had an overall positive experience.

Test Automation Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Spiceworks.

Entire process took about 10 days (from submission of application to offer). Submitted application online.

Given a question to debug a GUI interface and to describe how I would fix the issue. Got back to me after two days, and was called on-site for interview with two Senior Test Engineers. Talked about what I knew and what I expected from the internship. Nothing too technical.

Called after two days with job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Debug a GUI interface and to describe how I would fix the issue.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Spiceworks in January 2015.

The interview process began with a "phone screen" with a Spiceworks recruiter, followed by a 30-minute phone interview with the man who would have been my boss, and another 30-minute interview with the guy he reports to. Then, I was contacted by my would-be boss, asking me to complete 2 homework assignments and turn them in 2 days later. The first homework assignment was a marketing plan crafted around a particular scenario, and the second piece was a mock emailer. I was contacted the morning after I turned in the homework, asking if I could come in the following week for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was 3 hours long with 6 different people, which was both fun but exhausting. I couldn't remember who I told what, and I was starting to think "wait, did I already say that to this person, or was that the person before them?" They asked lots of tough "what if?" questions, but also questions to get to know me as a person and possible team member.

Overall, I appreciated the length and depth of the interview process. It helped give me time to really question whether or not I could see myself a member of the team, and I had the freedom to almost "pretend" being an employee, immersing myself in the brand voice and researching the company in-depth. I mean, in hindsight NOT getting the job, I was a little irritated by the time I invested and subsequently lost, BUT, it did help prepare me for future interviews.

Thanks, Spiceworks, for a great interview experience! I could tell your company culture is important to you and you work tirelessly to make sure you hire the right people.

Research Associate Interview

Applied on their website, heard back in one business day, which is good. I didn't actually get an interview because of my background, but they asked me to set up a time to chat if I was interested in another position that they listed. I replied that I was interested and that I'd love to find out more about it, but never heard back from the recruiter. Very unprofessional.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Spiceworks.

initial phone interview, flew me in from out of state to Austin for all day interviews, met with sales managers and exec level staff--got a nice lunch and then got offer within 2-3 days. Recuriter mentioned offer was only good for 24 hours--little aggressive. Virtually ignored by recruiter as soon as hired.

Software Development Interview

Applied online on university website
    Interview at university with a spiceworks employee
    asked about company
    asked why you should get the job
    Wasn't too hard, but it was my first technical interview
    One technical question that wasn't too hard about angle between hour and minute hand

Interview Questions
    • Write a code the returns the angle between the hour and minute hand   Answer Question

Full Stack Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Spiceworks in November 2014.

The interview experience I had was straightforward. A recruiter replied to a resume I had submitted and we agreed on a time for a phone interview. The phone interview was short. We discussed details about what the company does and why they were looking for talent to work in Chicago.

I was given two exercises, and one of them was optional. I did both since the problems were fun and simple. The recruiter offered to answer any questions I might have and said to ask if more time is needed to complete the exercises.

The mandatory exercise was to count the elements in the DOM recursively using any language. The problem was written in Java but I chose to write in Ruby since Spiceworks uses Ruby on Rails. Only one line of code was needed.

The other exercise was entirely front end. You're given an image to match using CSS and Javascript. The only libraries allowed were jQuery and underscore.js. I only used jQuery since I've never once experimented with underscore.js. If you're able to loop json data and display it all using horizontal columns, the rest of the work should be cake.

When I was done, I emailed my work using Dropbox with a fairly detailed explanation of my code and how it works. The team replied within hours that a more aligned candidate would be needed.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question was the exercise given in Java. I expected Ruby.   Answer Question

Test Automation Engineer Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Spiceworks in November 2014.

Like a previous interview reviewer had mentioned, one slip up and you're out. The process was straightforward. I got an automation test and test approach quiz which I finished and sent over, which went well. Then the next steps was another manual approach and ruby logic test, which I didn't do well in. There may have been another question that I did ask regarding some concerns that may have put them off too.

Not sure how many more tests would have come, but it seems like there would've been more.

With what it seems they are looking for, the position sounds more like an SDET-type role with stronger developer skills than QA automation skills.