Spillman Technologies Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Spillman Technologies in August 2011.

The process started with a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of a set of basic computer science questions followed by some questions on resume content.

For the on-site interview, I was put in a conference room to speak one-on-one with 2 people. Each asked about my background and experience and then offered up a programming question to be solved on a white board. They were very basic: find first repeating character in a string and detect if two rectangles overlap.

After that, there was a third one-on-one interview at lunch. This one included one very simple string problem (find a closing bracket) and was followed by a chat about the company and what they're doing.

The office was very large but also very empty. This was a rather new building but had not yet been filled. I was taken up to one of the upper floors which consisted of a large number of cubicles and developers having standup meetings.

The culture seems pretty laid back and they are now starting to implement rigorous testing and development practices. Overall, it felt positive and friendly.

Interview Questions
  • Write a method in C# that takes two Rectangle objects and detect whether or not they intersect.   View Answer
  • Write a method in C# that takes a string and returns the first repeated character.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Spillman Technologies

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Spillman Technologies in June 2011.

Found the job posting on Careers.StackOverflow.com and emailed in a resume. Received a call back 3-4 days later and they asked a few basic questions. Next they scheduled a phone interview, and a day latter I went in for in person interview. There were three people that interviewed me (1 hour each), and the interviews consisted of Q&A as well as white board coding and talking about design and testing decisions.

It was a great experience and everyone was very friendly. They also had very nice offices.

Interview Questions
    • General string manipulation questions such as counting words, reversing strings, or removing non-numerical characters. A large focus was on the design of the algorithms and the test cases you would use for verification.   Answer Question
    • How to detect if two shapes plotted on an X Y plane overlapped.   View Answer

Had a slightly better offer from a bigger company. The offer was VERY generous and had great benefits, but I decided to go with a position that had more growth opportunity. It was a very difficult decision.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Spillman Technologies

Worked for Spillman Technologies? Contribute to the Community!