Splunk

Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

I initially heard about the position from a former colleague, and the company piqued my interest due to its unique position in the marketplace. I applied online for two positions and was contacted the following week by the recruiter.

The first interview consisted of a phone screen by the recruiter to gauge my interest. It was purely conversational and I enjoyed speaking transparently about company culture, benefits, and compensation.

The second phone interview was with a team lead. This conversation was much more awkward as it seemed the interviewer was distracted and/or stressed. I had the chance to ask a few questions, but the answers seemed pretty generic.

The third phone interview was with the hiring manager. This involved more in-depth behavioral questions and about my current experience.

The third phone interview was with the Director of CRM. I really enjoyed this conversation as we had shared some previous experience together. This conversation gave great insight into the company's vision and culture.

After the initial phone interviews, I was brought onsite for meetings with the team. The onsite interview consisted of meeting six people of the team (team-members, hiring manager, SR Director, architect). The onsite meetings gave me mixed feelings. Some conversations were great and natural, but others were passive-aggressive. At one point, a team-member openly ridiculed my lack of experience for the role.

After the onsite interview, I felt very confident that I had concluded the interview process, but the hiring manager contacted me to notify me that I had a week to prepare a presentation on key concepts to the team. This was a surprise to me, but I wanted to demonstrate my passion/interest so I spent the weekend preparing a presentation. After the presentation, I heard feedback that everything went well and that I should be expecting to hear back soon.

However, this was not the case. Over the span of the next two weeks, I had three more phone interviews! By then, I was mentally exhausted and felt that the process was disorganized - not a good impression for what was really happening behind the scenes.

After 6-7 weeks and 11 interviews later, I finally received the offer, but declined due to various reasons.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the differences between CRM and ERP. What are the main financial processes in an ERP system?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Splunk in November 2014.

I got a referral from a friend for a Software Engineering position on the client platform team (front-end). I got an call from the engineering director first where he pretty much just explained to me the breakdown of the company and what it does. I think because of my past experience and the referral, I got a onsite directly after that call, which I scheduled a month later so I can prepare for it.
    The onsite experience was pretty great overall. I had 4 hour long interviews and a lunch with the engineering director for the team I am interviewing for. The interviewers were all super nice. They definitely did not try to ask trick questions or anything unreasonable. All of the questions they asked were very important concepts for JavaScript (I recommend reading a couple JavaScript books before interviewing for front-end positions, it helped a lot). So I was able to solve the problems for each of the interviews and had time to asked the interviewers questions about themselves and the company. Overall the conversation went really well. Definitely be yourself during those conversation. Tell them what your passions are, what your ultimate career goal is...

Interview Questions
    • Can't talk about specific questions because of the NDA. But like I said, read JavaScript books (javascript The Good Parts is a good start). Concepts like closure, scopes, callback functions... will be tested in any front-end interviews.   Answer Question
    Have not accept the offer yet but I am leaning heavy toward it. Compensation is very competitive.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Splunk.

When an interview process lasts for 2.5 months and involves 10+ interviews and a whole lot of miscommunication, it will make you wonder what the business practices are. After that long, I'd found another position (total time for recruitment to hire under 1 month....3 interviews total). Splunk needs to review how they do this because the impression it gives to potential employees is one of indecision. I'd also learned during the process that the job I was interviewing for wasn't even approved by their Finance department, thus essentially wasting my time. A process riddled with many miscommunications. Job applied for is not even at Executive level. Ten interviews? Seriously?

I read here on glassdoor comments about back stabbing happening in the company. This very subject came up in one of my interviews to try and gauge whether I gossip or backstab. I found it odd at the time, but now after reading the reviews, it makes sense. No thanks!

I am a professional with 20+ years of experience. This interview process was insulting.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk in October 2014.

There were two telephonic interviews in which they asked simple coding questions. Then there was on-site. There were 5 rounds of interviews
    Round1: Implement CPP functionalites in C
    Round2: Implement AVL tree
    Round3: Lunch and then they gave a socket program, asked me to add enhancements to it. Lunch round was nice. My interviewer was very friendly.
    Round4: Merge two sorted arrays and put the result in array1. Print a binary tree, each level in a new line
    Round5: With manager. Why splunk? What offer you have and which will you choose and why? How do you debug following things? Memory leaks, deadlocks, high cpu usage, etc. in a very big complex system where printing logs etc is not feasible

Work culture was awesome. All preparations for the interview were excellent.

Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

I applied online. Process took two weeks. There were two phone interviews. The first one was a simple phone screen. Resume related questions. Second interview was a bit more technical. The job required knowledge of python which I didn't have, so I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my knowledge of python even though my resume has no mention of it.   Answer Question

IT Infrastructure Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk in September 2014.

My interview was scheduled for 2pm and I was surprised that I did not have to wait a minute beyond that to be greeted by the recruiter. He led me to a conference room that was equipped with a phone and WiFi connection details. However, I never got to use them :-). The1st interviewer showed up almost immediately and the interview process was underway. I ended up speaking with 5 interviewers; all relevant to the position. We ran over the scheduled time a little but that was due to a lot of really meaningful Q&A.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Splunk.

Haven't seen a chaotic process. Applied online and was shortlisted with a phone interview with a promise to bring me onsite only to be notified with in 2 hours that the position is put on hold and will be back once the position gets reopened. Fast forward 1 month and this time 2 phone interviews and when tried to follow up came back with similar response as to change in direction.

Software Engineer Interview

Typical bay area software engineer interview process involving nearly 10 interviewers with 5 or 6 rounds of interviews. Interview is based on algorithms & data structures, systems & multi threading.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

Contacted on LinkedIn.. Process was smooth..But they ask junior engineer to take initial rounds.
    Only 1 phone coding interview. I have close to 12.5 years experience. The interviewer was junior software engineer.
    These juniors do not understand the big picture OR don't know what to ask..They just ask some coding program which they have done during college days and they judge people with great experience on that. I was initially told there will be 2 interviews and after one interview another junior guy said they were not going ahead.. I was laughing and felt good that I did not have work with such people.. But Splunk looses good people who want to work for company..
    Actually I solved the programming interview questions in 2 different ways..told him that I have made some assumptions to keep it simple..I can make it complex if required.
    He seemed to be not happy :)

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions...Standard question - How to check if 2 strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Front End QA Automation Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

I applied online, and get contacted 2 days later. One phone screening, first question was what I know about Splunk, then asking all concept questions like how Selenium RC works, why java application is independent...what's SQL foreigner key... The guy just hand up the call, as I guess I was not doing well in these questions