Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Splunk.

I applied online. Process took two weeks. There were two phone interviews. The first one was a simple phone screen. Resume related questions. Second interview was a bit more technical. The job required knowledge of python which I didn't have, so I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my knowledge of python even though my resume has no mention of it.   Answer Question

IT Infrastructure Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Splunk in September 2014.

My interview was scheduled for 2pm and I was surprised that I did not have to wait a minute beyond that to be greeted by the recruiter. He led me to a conference room that was equipped with a phone and WiFi connection details. However, I never got to use them :-). The1st interviewer showed up almost immediately and the interview process was underway. I ended up speaking with 5 interviewers; all relevant to the position. We ran over the scheduled time a little but that was due to a lot of really meaningful Q&A.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Splunk.

Haven't seen a chaotic process. Applied online and was shortlisted with a phone interview with a promise to bring me onsite only to be notified with in 2 hours that the position is put on hold and will be back once the position gets reopened. Fast forward 1 month and this time 2 phone interviews and when tried to follow up came back with similar response as to change in direction.

Software Engineer Interview

Typical bay area software engineer interview process involving nearly 10 interviewers with 5 or 6 rounds of interviews. Interview is based on algorithms & data structures, systems & multi threading.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

Contacted on LinkedIn.. Process was smooth..But they ask junior engineer to take initial rounds.
    Only 1 phone coding interview. I have close to 12.5 years experience. The interviewer was junior software engineer.
    These juniors do not understand the big picture OR don't know what to ask..They just ask some coding program which they have done during college days and they judge people with great experience on that. I was initially told there will be 2 interviews and after one interview another junior guy said they were not going ahead.. I was laughing and felt good that I did not have work with such people.. But Splunk looses good people who want to work for company..
    Actually I solved the programming interview questions in 2 different ways..told him that I have made some assumptions to keep it simple..I can make it complex if required.
    He seemed to be not happy :)

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions...Standard question - How to check if 2 strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Front End QA Automation Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

I applied online, and get contacted 2 days later. One phone screening, first question was what I know about Splunk, then asking all concept questions like how Selenium RC works, why java application is independent...what's SQL foreigner key... The guy just hand up the call, as I guess I was not doing well in these questions

Software Engineer Interview

Good interview, the interviewing team was quite friendly, good questions asked, they let me know the next day that wouldn't be making an offer. Though, I had performed decently, that was expected since I just had 2 years of experience and a Master's degree for a role requiring 5 years of experience. I knew the work culture from a friend who had interned there before and he told me that they are very particular about the quality of their code (since they just have this one big data product.). The interview mostly involved coding questions which you have to solve on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • Practice coding questions and make sure you get it right in the very first attempt.   Answer Question

Channel Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Splunk.

Very weird and disorganized. I had numerous recruiters contacting me scheduling all sorts of phone interviews and clearly not communicating with each other. That was the first red flag. Then I learned more about their channel. The actual sales managers could not answer my questions. The ones who clearly could did a very poor job of deflecting the truth. Whatever that is. I have looked at their public filings. They seem to be selling something with some success. I guess it's all direct sales. Anyways I didn't buy what they were trying to sell me. Their channel organization is a circus. Stay far away.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers should be answering this one. They did not ask me anything I did not know.   Answer Question

What a total nightmare. No thanks.

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Splunk.

Very thorough and fast. Was not drawn out at all. Would have been nice to have lunch. Met with all the key players from manager, director, and several coworkers. Did not receive any technical questions, and they were open to communication after the process. Manager was very receptive and willing to continue emailing me after the interview to answer my questions.

Interview Questions
    • None. Very straightforward questions about what my experience was and why I was leaving and what I was looking for.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Splunk.

Initial phone screen. 1/2 hour. Standard phone interview. All open-ended questions. The interviewer began with the statement "let's stop from the top. Tell me what you know about splunk." I was grateful the interviewer gave me time to ask a few questions. Answers to those questions gave me a good perspective on what it might be like to work at splunk.

Worked for Splunk? Contribute to the Community!