Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

Technical Training Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied Friday afternoon, had an email to schedule a screening interview by the end of Friday. Scheduled the screening interview (30 min) for Monday. On Monday, the screening interview went well, so I was scheduled for a interview with the team lead (1 hour) for the next day, Tuesday. From there, I was brought on site the following Thursday (4 interviews between 30min - 1 hr), and had an offer on Monday evening. From the application to offer letter, this whole process was just over 2 weeks. The HR person was very responsive through this whole process, and everyone was very welcoming and friendly.

Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview was 2 phone rounds and a final 5 hour on-site interview. Splunk didnt waste any time and it was all in around 2 weeks organized well. But the worst part was their communication after. I was told that I have the offer from HR after which there was no communication for one week. After persistent calling, the HR said the position was put on hold. I dont understand why Splunk should waste so much of my time and their time over 2-3 weeks and give me the offer and then say no position. This is not very professional on their side on how they treat interested applicants.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was really cool, and a great learning experience. Many, crisp interviews, spread over a period of three weeks, but I did not feel any pressure. Loved the attitude of the interviewers, they created a friendly and non-formal environment through the interview day; gave a lot of insight about the company, the team, and the position.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Interview was good. Infact interviewers were very good. They put you in comfortable position in the beginning by asking you to tell about yourself. Explain some projects and by asking things on resume. Later they shared a screen and asked me to code for string reverse.

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The onsite interview process was fantastic. I felt very welcomed, water and snacks were waiting for me, nice welcome notes on the whiteboard, and a Thank You for coming in card on the table. The people were really nice, while asking good, challenging questions. Had a nice chat/interview over lunch at a restaurant around the corner.

And then... I got on the phone with the HR rep 2 days later, he told me the team loved me, but I had one more interview that was just completing a "check mark" and after that I would receive an offer in 1-3 days. Four days later, I contact him to see how things are going at their end and I'm told they're interviewing an internal referral, but he thought "nothing would come of it". In the meantime I got an actual offer from another company, so I contacted the Splunk HR guy, told him I wanted to make a decision in the next 3 days, and then was told they were now looking at 2 candidates. I hope it's not common practice for them to say they're going to get you an offer and then not follow through. So uncool. A "we're no longer interested" statement would have been more appropriate. After that experience, it was very satisfying to send the note that I was no longer interested in the position because I accepted an offer at another company. And it's a much better opportunity for me in many ways. But up until they started jerking me around I totally could have seen myself working for them and enjoying it.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk in March 2015.

Interview

Interview was good and working all well. Downside was that after telling me I'd get an offer they changed their mind last minute and changed it again. Also had a recruiter completely dropping the ball, so I took another offer.

Interview Questions

• Never got asked by a Director about my salary demands before. So watch out that not only HR will talk with you about that.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was for a Intern position. The questions asked in the interview were totally different from what was mentioned in the job description. Also there was a mis-communication between the recruiter and the interviewer regarding the schedule of the interview. The interview which was supposed to be cancelled by the HR was not communicated to the interviewer and he called at that time anyways , when I was in the middle of my class.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Started process via career fair. Interview process for me was a brief set of screening questions on Python and Unix utilities (at the career fair), followed by a short non-technical phone interview, an online coding challenge, followed by the onsite.

Onsite interview: under NDA. Had multiple rounds, and questions were fair, of varying difficulty. Touched on algorithms, complexity, testing, implementation.

Interview Questions

• (Online challenge): given a string of multiple words each separated by a space, return a string with each individual word reversed   1 Answer

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I did the application from a School Career Fair. They reached me soon which was surprised me. They firstly made a phone call for scheduling the next phone call. It came soon just in the next week.
    However, this company or maybe the hiring manager was so messed up. After I emailed him about my time availability. He firstly said okay then found that time is not good for him. Then, we made another yet has been cancelled again because of him. Overall, this kind of update happened several times.
    The phone call is also weird. At least, as far as I know, this is the only company that use almost 30 mins for gauging. Nothing else happened yet.

Product Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk.

Interview

I was employee-referred for a position. My contact set a date for when the hiring manager would call for a phone interview. The hiring manager after sensing a possible fit provided me with the expectations and challenges of the job which is critical context for addressing the panel interviews later.

I was quickly scheduled for an interview within days. The recruiting lead was in touch with me, provided me with names of people I'd meet. My day started at 10am in the SF office. Met with 7 people and was done by 4 pm. The interviews ran per schedule.

The panelist were smart people who discussed a variety of topics. I found it easy to establish rapport and engage in a conversation.

Interview Questions

• One question that could have gone awry had to do with understanding the interviewers frame of reference versus mine. Once that was resolved, the question being asked was very relevant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I stated what my requirements were. The company provided a fair offer.