Splunk

Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

I initially heard about the position from a former colleague, and the company piqued my interest due to its unique position in the marketplace. I applied online for two positions and was contacted the following week by the recruiter.

The first interview consisted of a phone screen by the recruiter to gauge my interest. It was purely conversational and I enjoyed speaking transparently about company culture, benefits, and compensation.

The second phone interview was with a team lead. This conversation was much more awkward as it seemed the interviewer was distracted and/or stressed. I had the chance to ask a few questions, but the answers seemed pretty generic.

The third phone interview was with the hiring manager. This involved more in-depth behavioral questions and about my current experience.

The third phone interview was with the Director of CRM. I really enjoyed this conversation as we had shared some previous experience together. This conversation gave great insight into the company's vision and culture.

After the initial phone interviews, I was brought onsite for meetings with the team. The onsite interview consisted of meeting six people of the team (team-members, hiring manager, SR Director, architect). The onsite meetings gave me mixed feelings. Some conversations were great and natural, but others were passive-aggressive. At one point, a team-member openly ridiculed my lack of experience for the role.

After the onsite interview, I felt very confident that I had concluded the interview process, but the hiring manager contacted me to notify me that I had a week to prepare a presentation on key concepts to the team. This was a surprise to me, but I wanted to demonstrate my passion/interest so I spent the weekend preparing a presentation. After the presentation, I heard feedback that everything went well and that I should be expecting to hear back soon.

However, this was not the case. Over the span of the next two weeks, I had three more phone interviews! By then, I was mentally exhausted and felt that the process was disorganized - not a good impression for what was really happening behind the scenes.

After 6-7 weeks and 11 interviews later, I finally received the offer, but declined due to various reasons.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the differences between CRM and ERP. What are the main financial processes in an ERP system?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Typical bay area software engineer interview process involving nearly 10 interviewers with 5 or 6 rounds of interviews. Interview is based on algorithms & data structures, systems & multi threading.

Field Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Splunk in March 2013.

The interview process was way too long. From the time I had my 1st phone screen to the time I had subsequent phone screens and onsite interviews took about 6 months. I had started losing interest in the position by then.
    The SF office is really nice and the people were very cool. There was free food for lunch and an overall fun atmosphere. The people working there did seem to enjoy their job and it seemed like a great place to work. I was offered a position but declined due to the extensive travel involved. The field support engineers travel at least 75% of the time. They did seem to realize how difficult this was and it was discussed that most field engineers do not keep that position long term. They work that job for a year or 2 and then transition into another role at Splunk. So had I been able to put up with the travel I do think this would have been a great opportunity with a great company. I had an offer on the table from another company without the travel so I went with that.

Interview Questions
    • The questions themselves were not difficult but I did feel a little intimidated by a couple of the interviewers. I could tell they were really looking for smart people and not going to accept anything less.   Answer Question

Too much travel and another offer on the table from another company.

IT Infrastructure Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk in September 2014.

My interview was scheduled for 2pm and I was surprised that I did not have to wait a minute beyond that to be greeted by the recruiter. He led me to a conference room that was equipped with a phone and WiFi connection details. However, I never got to use them :-). The1st interviewer showed up almost immediately and the interview process was underway. I ended up speaking with 5 interviewers; all relevant to the position. We ran over the scheduled time a little but that was due to a lot of really meaningful Q&A.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Splunk in March 2011.

Splunk people are not organised.They dont know what they need from candidate.
    Eventhough they knew that i did not have the skills they were looking for they called me for personal interview and wasted my 1 full day.
    Beware of it and make sure your skillset matches before going for an interview.
    Otherwise you will waste your time.....

Interview Questions
    • Sorting algorithms,Performace,scalability,Unix and Linux   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Splunk in May 2012.

Career fair meeting. Then the person who I met at the career fair called me (cold, no warning), to ask me some technical questions. After I answered these, they wanted to set up a time to do a programming skills test. They then sent me an email with the specs for this test. They gave 4 hours to complete the task of writing this in two different languages. It was very easy. After completing this, they asked me to implement it in a different way than I had at first. This was also relatively easy. However, I guess it wasn't that easy, because they didn't call me back for a further interview. Not sure what I did, as there was no communication about this.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between final and finally in Java?   View Answer
    • Explain mutability in Python with examples.   View Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk.

Very fast hiring process. Was interviewed directly by the team that was looking for interns on their project. Best part about all the interviews was that there were no trick questions, no math puzzles or other lateral thinking riddles. There were also no ridiculous questions like what are your weaknesses and strengths.
    All interviewers kept the questions very conceptual, engaging me in open discussions about my previous projects and the technologies that I am comfortable with.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unreasonably tough questions.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Splunk in December 2012.

First round: telephone screening
    Second round: In person technical interview
    Third round: In person interview with broader management team and project team.

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Splunk.

The hiring process was pretty quick and very thorough. I interviewed with four current employees from different organizations. I liked this process since they gave me a good deal of perspective across the company. The interviews were more like conversations that helped make the process go smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was in regards to how to use the product with a more business focused audience. My only exposure to Splunk was with the technical side, so it was something that I had to think about before just answering.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Splunk in June 2013.

Had 4 rounds of Interview, although it was supposed to be a 6 round interview. Types of questions were mostly on Design, How do you design a product and something like that, which went for more than 1 hour. Then I had the 2nd round which was on the projects that I have worked on, kept digging deeper into the projects. The 3rd round was mostly on Web Technologies, on CSS and Java scripts..4th round was on Python and Django. And finally the HR personal told me that they are unable to proceed further.

Interview Questions
    • How do you design market place for an elevator? I couldnt understand what exactly that means, I kept asking for more inputs but all the time it was the same question, there are elevators in a building, how do you design apps for those elevators, how does the developers upload them to the market place...I couldnt answer this question, and this was the first question   View Answer