Splunk

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Average Difficulty
41 candidate interviews

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Splunk in March 2011.

Interview Details – Splunk people are not organised.They dont know what they need from candidate.
Eventhough they knew that i did not have the skills they were looking for they called me for personal interview and wasted my 1 full day.
Beware of it and make sure your skillset matches before going for an interview.
Otherwise you will waste your time.....

Interview Question – Sorting algorithms,Performace,scalability,Unix and Linux   Answer Question

Software Engineer

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Splunk in May 2012.

Interview Details – Career fair meeting. Then the person who I met at the career fair called me (cold, no warning), to ask me some technical questions. After I answered these, they wanted to set up a time to do a programming skills test. They then sent me an email with the specs for this test. They gave 4 hours to complete the task of writing this in two different languages. It was very easy. After completing this, they asked me to implement it in a different way than I had at first. This was also relatively easy. However, I guess it wasn't that easy, because they didn't call me back for a further interview. Not sure what I did, as there was no communication about this.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between final and finally in Java?   View Answer
  • Explain mutability in Python with examples.   View Answer

Interviewed at Splunk

Interview Details – Good interview, the interviewing team was quite friendly, good questions asked, they let me know the next day that wouldn't be making an offer. Though, I had performed decently, that was expected since I just had 2 years of experience and a Master's degree for a role requiring 5 years of experience. I knew the work culture from a friend who had interned there before and he told me that they are very particular about the quality of their code (since they just have this one big data product.). The interview mostly involved coding questions which you have to solve on the whiteboard.

Interview Question – Practice coding questions and make sure you get it right in the very first attempt.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Splunk in May 2013.

Interview Details – 5 different stages, two of the interviews were onsite. Always close and show high level of motivation or energy is my tip, environment and company policies are less progressive than you would think, though.

Interview Question – What is your knowledge of IT? This is the question that lead to my dismissal, although I was told there was no need of showing any technical knowledge, the interviewer started asking about servers, cloud computing and so on. Just show familiarity and explain give examples of other technologies you had to learn very quickly about.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Splunk in June 2013.

Interview Details – Had 4 rounds of Interview, although it was supposed to be a 6 round interview. Types of questions were mostly on Design, How do you design a product and something like that, which went for more than 1 hour. Then I had the 2nd round which was on the projects that I have worked on, kept digging deeper into the projects. The 3rd round was mostly on Web Technologies, on CSS and Java scripts..4th round was on Python and Django. And finally the HR personal told me that they are unable to proceed further.

Interview Question – How do you design market place for an elevator? I couldnt understand what exactly that means, I kept asking for more inputs but all the time it was the same question, there are elevators in a building, how do you design apps for those elevators, how does the developers upload them to the market place...I couldnt answer this question, and this was the first question   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Splunk in December 2012.

Interview Details – First round: telephone screening
Second round: In person technical interview
Third round: In person interview with broader management team and project team.

Interview Question – Chef, jenkins, python   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Splunk.

Interview Details – Very fast hiring process. Was interviewed directly by the team that was looking for interns on their project. Best part about all the interviews was that there were no trick questions, no math puzzles or other lateral thinking riddles. There were also no ridiculous questions like what are your weaknesses and strengths.
All interviewers kept the questions very conceptual, engaging me in open discussions about my previous projects and the technologies that I am comfortable with.

Interview Question – There were no unreasonably tough questions.   View Answer

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Senior Sales Engineer

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Splunk.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty quick and very thorough. I interviewed with four current employees from different organizations. I liked this process since they gave me a good deal of perspective across the company. The interviews were more like conversations that helped make the process go smoothly.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was in regards to how to use the product with a more business focused audience. My only exposure to Splunk was with the technical side, so it was something that I had to think about before just answering.   View Answer

Online Marketing Interview

Online Marketing

Interviewed at Splunk

Interview Details – My interview process with Splunk was the strangest I've ever experienced, and that's coming from someone who has changed jobs 3 times in the past 6 years. In a nutshell, HR did an extremely poor job of communicating the process to me and dragged everything out for an obscene amount of time, ultimately resulting in no offer. Let me explain...

I applied through a friend and got a standard HR screen about two weeks later. Then they brought me into the office a week after that for interviews with the hiring manager and the other person on the team... so good so far. Those interviews went extremely well and I could tell they liked me a lot, so I left expecting good news but had no knowledge of whether I should be expecting a decision or more interviews. Turns out I had 4 more hours of interviews with people on crossfunctional teams that I would work with.

I can't blame them for being thorough but this is where it started to get weird. The first person I talked to didn't even know what role I was interviewing for and had never seen my resume, but it went well. The next person asked some Google-style questions about manhole covers, songs that describe me, etc. That went well and he even told me he'd recommend me for hire.

Next was a guy who flat out had an agenda to test my composure. I've been there before but he went over the top to the point of being degrading. He belittled my past experience saying things like "so you're saying you bridged the gap between engineering and sales... sounds like you weren't really doing anything." "We are very careful about who we hire and it doesn't seem like you have a lot of things on your resume that we're looking for. Explain why you even applied for this job." These kinds of questions went on for 45 minutes! Look, I get it, you want to see if I can handle the pressure but I felt totally worthless afterward because even the questions I answered well had a follow up that made me feel stupid.

The last interviewer was nicer but still had a similar agenda to get to the bottom of things. After all this I wrote the opportunity off assuming they didn't like me, but HR called to tell me that they did like me and hoped I wasn't put off by some people's "harsh interview tactics." "That's not what it would be like to work here." I was told I would hear within the next two weeks if I got the job or not. I kept following up but two weeks turned to six weeks. Then they asked me if I'd consider a temp-to-hire arrangement. Then they set up an interview with the SVP even though my interviews were supposedly done. Then the day before that interview they cancelled it and said "thanks for your time" with a copy-pasted two line email.... after all that!

I had a job at the time and wasn't desperate, but I fell in love with the industry they were in, the role, the office, and the hiring manager and wanted the job so badly from day one that I became naive and ended up wasting tons of time and energy. I don't think they meant for things to go as they did, but HR could have been much more transparent about what they were looking for and where I stood in the process. I have no interest in messing around and they blatantly took steps to lead me on when I wasn't what they wanted.

Interview Question – Tell me a song that describes your style of work.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Splunk.

Interview Details – Interview process was long. Was told in first phone interview they were looking at a six to eight week hiring process. It took seven and felt like nine. By the time I made it to onsite interviews, I was really excited about the company and its culture. Onsite interviews were a brutal five hour affair, with five hourlong interviews with mostly higher-ups. In general I thought I did well, except with one project manager who was subbing for another interviewer that was a no show. He seemed like a typical corporate douche, and I worried that my judgement of him showed and made the interview go badly. Anyway, you never know. I made it into the final round and didn't get the offer. I was disappointed, but respected the explained motivation for the company's lengthy interview process - to guard their cool little culture while the company grows, fast (they were in the middle of taking over the third floor of their building).

Interview Question – What do you do to get information from an engineer when email and visiting their cubicle doesn't work.   Answer Question

Worked for Splunk? Contribute to the Community!