Splunk

2.9

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in February 2015.

I did the application from a School Career Fair. They reached me soon which was surprised me. They firstly made a phone call for scheduling the next phone call. It came soon just in the next week.
    However, this company or maybe the hiring manager was so messed up. After I emailed him about my time availability. He firstly said okay then found that time is not good for him. Then, we made another yet has been cancelled again because of him. Overall, this kind of update happened several times.
    The phone call is also weird. At least, as far as I know, this is the only company that use almost 30 mins for gauging. Nothing else happened yet.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk in February 2015.

Started process via career fair. Interview process for me was a brief set of screening questions on Python and Unix utilities (at the career fair), followed by a short non-technical phone interview, an online coding challenge, followed by the onsite.

Onsite interview: under NDA. Had multiple rounds, and questions were fair, of varying difficulty. Touched on algorithms, complexity, testing, implementation.

Interview Questions
    • (Online challenge): given a string of multiple words each separated by a space, return a string with each individual word reversed   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The interview was for a Intern position. The questions asked in the interview were totally different from what was mentioned in the job description. Also there was a mis-communication between the recruiter and the interviewer regarding the schedule of the interview. The interview which was supposed to be cancelled by the HR was not communicated to the interviewer and he called at that time anyways , when I was in the middle of my class.

Video Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Splunk in January 2015.

The first interview was via email questions, then followed up by a second with a call from the same person (recruiter). Third round was talking to the person I'd be working with directly, and fourth was being interviewed in the office by the team I'd be working with. Finally I spoke with another manager in London over the phone who does approvals for the team. Multiple interviews in this fashion are not uncommon in Silicon Valley so it wasn't really a surprise.

Overall I liked that they were interested in why I chose Splunk and why I was interested in this field personally, over emphasizing the checklist of the many requirements this job entailed. They also complimented my work more than other interviewers have in the past, which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions
    • Why Splunk?   View Answer
    • It looks like you have mostly been doing freelance work why are you interested in this particular role?   View Answer

Software Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Splunk in January 2015.

First, there will be one or two recruiters to contact to you and set up phone interview date. Then, one of the engineer from Splunk will call you and ask about your resume. Then it follows up several coding or C++ concept questions. After that, you will have chance to ask interviewer some questions. My personal experience is about half a hour. But normally, it will last 45 mins.

Interview Questions
    • In C++ what is the difference between process and thread. What is difference between malloc and free.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

First Round is online test, I passed
    Onsite Rounds: 3 technique interviews and 1 HR interview
    Stilll waiting for result, but I think I am failed
    The questions for technique interview are all around languages I am familiar and solve real programming problems. Some of them are a little difficult than I expect.

Product Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk.

I was employee-referred for a position. My contact set a date for when the hiring manager would call for a phone interview. The hiring manager after sensing a possible fit provided me with the expectations and challenges of the job which is critical context for addressing the panel interviews later.

I was quickly scheduled for an interview within days. The recruiting lead was in touch with me, provided me with names of people I'd meet. My day started at 10am in the SF office. Met with 7 people and was done by 4 pm. The interviews ran per schedule.

The panelist were smart people who discussed a variety of topics. I found it easy to establish rapport and engage in a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • One question that could have gone awry had to do with understanding the interviewers frame of reference versus mine. Once that was resolved, the question being asked was very relevant.   Answer Question
    I stated what my requirements were. The company provided a fair offer.

Frontend Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

First, from campus recruiting, they emailed me and gave me a dummy dataset to visualize using ruby/javascript/html. After that, they invited me to an on-site, no phone screen. On-site was 3 back-to-back interviews, all 45 minutes long. Two were general coding questions/fit interviews and one was a front-end technical/design interview. None of the questions were too hard or too unordinary: the usual tree traversal, string manipulation and data structure questions.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk in May 2014.

Hiring process started quickly. After the initial screening round they setup three phone interviews on the same day. The first person did not call, the second person called and asked if I had any questions for them. I said no, and he ended the call. In 10 mins I received a rejection email.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Splunk in November 2014.

I got a referral from a friend for a Software Engineering position on the client platform team (front-end). I got an call from the engineering director first where he pretty much just explained to me the breakdown of the company and what it does. I think because of my past experience and the referral, I got a onsite directly after that call, which I scheduled a month later so I can prepare for it.
    The onsite experience was pretty great overall. I had 4 hour long interviews and a lunch with the engineering director for the team I am interviewing for. The interviewers were all super nice. They definitely did not try to ask trick questions or anything unreasonable. All of the questions they asked were very important concepts for JavaScript (I recommend reading a couple JavaScript books before interviewing for front-end positions, it helped a lot). So I was able to solve the problems for each of the interviews and had time to asked the interviewers questions about themselves and the company. Overall the conversation went really well. Definitely be yourself during those conversation. Tell them what your passions are, what your ultimate career goal is...

Interview Questions
    • Can't talk about specific questions because of the NDA. But like I said, read JavaScript books (javascript The Good Parts is a good start). Concepts like closure, scopes, callback functions... will be tested in any front-end interviews.   Answer Question
    Have not accept the offer yet but I am leaning heavy toward it. Compensation is very competitive.