Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015
Updated Mar 31, 2015

2.9

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The onsite interview process was fantastic. I felt very welcomed, water and snacks were waiting for me, nice welcome notes on the whiteboard, and a Thank You for coming in card on the table. The people were really nice, while asking good, challenging questions. Had a nice chat/interview over lunch at a restaurant around the corner.

And then... I got on the phone with the HR rep 2 days later, he told me the team loved me, but I had one more interview that was just completing a "check mark" and after that I would receive an offer in 1-3 days. Four days later, I contact him to see how things are going at their end and I'm told they're interviewing an internal referral, but he thought "nothing would come of it". In the meantime I got an actual offer from another company, so I contacted the Splunk HR guy, told him I wanted to make a decision in the next 3 days, and then was told they were now looking at 2 candidates. I hope it's not common practice for them to say they're going to get you an offer and then not follow through. So uncool. A "we're no longer interested" statement would have been more appropriate. After that experience, it was very satisfying to send the note that I was no longer interested in the position because I accepted an offer at another company. And it's a much better opportunity for me in many ways. But up until they started jerking me around I totally could have seen myself working for them and enjoying it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview was good. Infact interviewers were very good. They put you in comfortable position in the beginning by asking you to tell about yourself. Explain some projects and by asking things on resume. Later they shared a screen and asked me to code for string reverse.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I did the application from a School Career Fair. They reached me soon which was surprised me. They firstly made a phone call for scheduling the next phone call. It came soon just in the next week.
    However, this company or maybe the hiring manager was so messed up. After I emailed him about my time availability. He firstly said okay then found that time is not good for him. Then, we made another yet has been cancelled again because of him. Overall, this kind of update happened several times.
    The phone call is also weird. At least, as far as I know, this is the only company that use almost 30 mins for gauging. Nothing else happened yet.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Started process via career fair. Interview process for me was a brief set of screening questions on Python and Unix utilities (at the career fair), followed by a short non-technical phone interview, an online coding challenge, followed by the onsite.

Onsite interview: under NDA. Had multiple rounds, and questions were fair, of varying difficulty. Touched on algorithms, complexity, testing, implementation.

Interview Questions

• (Online challenge): given a string of multiple words each separated by a space, return a string with each individual word reversed   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was for a Intern position. The questions asked in the interview were totally different from what was mentioned in the job description. Also there was a mis-communication between the recruiter and the interviewer regarding the schedule of the interview. The interview which was supposed to be cancelled by the HR was not communicated to the interviewer and he called at that time anyways , when I was in the middle of my class.

Video Production Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The first interview was via email questions, then followed up by a second with a call from the same person (recruiter). Third round was talking to the person I'd be working with directly, and fourth was being interviewed in the office by the team I'd be working with. Finally I spoke with another manager in London over the phone who does approvals for the team. Multiple interviews in this fashion are not uncommon in Silicon Valley so it wasn't really a surprise.

Overall I liked that they were interested in why I chose Splunk and why I was interested in this field personally, over emphasizing the checklist of the many requirements this job entailed. They also complimented my work more than other interviewers have in the past, which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions

• Why Splunk?   1 Answer
    • It looks like you have mostly been doing freelance work why are you interested in this particular role?   1 Answer

Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Splunk in January 2015.

Interview

First, there will be one or two recruiters to contact to you and set up phone interview date. Then, one of the engineer from Splunk will call you and ask about your resume. Then it follows up several coding or C++ concept questions. After that, you will have chance to ask interviewer some questions. My personal experience is about half a hour. But normally, it will last 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• In C++ what is the difference between process and thread. What is difference between malloc and free.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

Interview

First Round is online test, I passed
    Onsite Rounds: 3 technique interviews and 1 HR interview
    Stilll waiting for result, but I think I am failed
    The questions for technique interview are all around languages I am familiar and solve real programming problems. Some of them are a little difficult than I expect.

Product Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk.

Interview

I was employee-referred for a position. My contact set a date for when the hiring manager would call for a phone interview. The hiring manager after sensing a possible fit provided me with the expectations and challenges of the job which is critical context for addressing the panel interviews later.

I was quickly scheduled for an interview within days. The recruiting lead was in touch with me, provided me with names of people I'd meet. My day started at 10am in the SF office. Met with 7 people and was done by 4 pm. The interviews ran per schedule.

The panelist were smart people who discussed a variety of topics. I found it easy to establish rapport and engage in a conversation.

Interview Questions

• One question that could have gone awry had to do with understanding the interviewers frame of reference versus mine. Once that was resolved, the question being asked was very relevant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I stated what my requirements were. The company provided a fair offer.

Frontend Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

Interview

First, from campus recruiting, they emailed me and gave me a dummy dataset to visualize using ruby/javascript/html. After that, they invited me to an on-site, no phone screen. On-site was 3 back-to-back interviews, all 45 minutes long. Two were general coding questions/fit interviews and one was a front-end technical/design interview. None of the questions were too hard or too unordinary: the usual tree traversal, string manipulation and data structure questions.