Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Splunk in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was for a Intern position. The questions asked in the interview were totally different from what was mentioned in the job description. Also there was a mis-communication between the recruiter and the interviewer regarding the schedule of the interview. The interview which was supposed to be cancelled by the HR was not communicated to the interviewer and he called at that time anyways , when I was in the middle of my class.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Splunk (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I did the application from a School Career Fair. They reached me soon which was surprised me. They firstly made a phone call for scheduling the next phone call. It came soon just in the next week. However, this company or maybe the hiring manager was so messed up. After I emailed him about my time availability. He firstly said okay then found that time is not good for him. Then, we made another yet has been cancelled again because of him. Overall, this kind of update happened several times. The phone call is also weird. At least, as far as I know, this is the only company that use almost 30 mins for gauging. Nothing else happened yet.

Product Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

I was employee-referred for a position. My contact set a date for when the hiring manager would call for a phone interview. The hiring manager after sensing a possible fit provided me with the expectations and challenges of the job which is critical context for addressing the panel interviews later. I was quickly scheduled for an interview within days. The recruiting lead was in touch with me, provided me with names of people I'd meet. My day started at 10am in the SF office. Met with 7 people and was done by 4 pm. The interviews ran per schedule. The panelist were smart people who discussed a variety of topics. I found it easy to establish rapport and engage in a conversation.

Interview Questions

• One question that could have gone awry had to do with understanding the interviewers frame of reference versus mine. Once that was resolved, the question being asked was very relevant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I stated what my requirements were. The company provided a fair offer.

Video Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The first interview was via email questions, then followed up by a second with a call from the same person (recruiter). Third round was talking to the person I'd be working with directly, and fourth was being interviewed in the office by the team I'd be working with. Finally I spoke with another manager in London over the phone who does approvals for the team. Multiple interviews in this fashion are not uncommon in Silicon Valley so it wasn't really a surprise. Overall I liked that they were interested in why I chose Splunk and why I was interested in this field personally, over emphasizing the checklist of the many requirements this job entailed. They also complimented my work more than other interviewers have in the past, which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions

• Why Splunk?   1 Answer
    • It looks like you have mostly been doing freelance work why are you interested in this particular role?   1 Answer

Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Splunk in January 2015.

Interview

First, there will be one or two recruiters to contact to you and set up phone interview date. Then, one of the engineer from Splunk will call you and ask about your resume. Then it follows up several coding or C++ concept questions. After that, you will have chance to ask interviewer some questions. My personal experience is about half a hour. But normally, it will last 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• In C++ what is the difference between process and thread. What is difference between malloc and free.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

I initially heard about the position from a former colleague, and the company piqued my interest due to its unique position in the marketplace. I applied online for two positions and was contacted the following week by the recruiter. The first interview consisted of a phone screen by the recruiter to gauge my interest. It was purely conversational and I enjoyed speaking transparently about company culture, benefits, and compensation. The second phone interview was with a team lead. This conversation was much more awkward as it seemed the interviewer was distracted and/or stressed. I had the chance to ask a few questions, but the answers seemed pretty generic. The third phone interview was with the hiring manager. This involved more in-depth behavioral questions and about my current experience. The third phone interview was with the Director of CRM. I really enjoyed this conversation as we had shared some previous experience together. This conversation gave great insight into the company's vision and culture. After the initial phone interviews, I was brought onsite for meetings with the team. The onsite interview consisted of meeting six people of the team (team-members, hiring manager, SR Director, architect). The onsite meetings gave me mixed feelings. Some conversations were great and natural, but others were passive-aggressive. At one point, a team-member openly ridiculed my lack of experience for the role. After the onsite interview, I felt very confident that I had concluded the interview process, but the hiring manager contacted me to notify me that I had a week to prepare a presentation on key concepts to the team. This was a surprise to me, but I wanted to demonstrate my passion/interest so I spent the weekend preparing a presentation. After the presentation, I heard feedback that everything went well and that I should be expecting to hear back soon. However, this was not the case. Over the span of the next two weeks, I had three more phone interviews! By then, I was mentally exhausted and felt that the process was disorganized - not a good impression for what was really happening behind the scenes. After 6-7 weeks and 11 interviews later, I finally received the offer, but declined due to various reasons.

Interview Questions

• Describe the differences between CRM and ERP. What are the main financial processes in an ERP system?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Splunk in November 2014.

Interview

I got a referral from a friend for a Software Engineering position on the client platform team (front-end). I got an call from the engineering director first where he pretty much just explained to me the breakdown of the company and what it does. I think because of my past experience and the referral, I got a onsite directly after that call, which I scheduled a month later so I can prepare for it. The onsite experience was pretty great overall. I had 4 hour long interviews and a lunch with the engineering director for the team I am interviewing for. The interviewers were all super nice. They definitely did not try to ask trick questions or anything unreasonable. All of the questions they asked were very important concepts for JavaScript (I recommend reading a couple JavaScript books before interviewing for front-end positions, it helped a lot). So I was able to solve the problems for each of the interviews and had time to asked the interviewers questions about themselves and the company. Overall the conversation went really well. Definitely be yourself during those conversation. Tell them what your passions are, what your ultimate career goal is...

Interview Questions

• Can't talk about specific questions because of the NDA. But like I said, read JavaScript books (javascript The Good Parts is a good start). Concepts like closure, scopes, callback functions... will be tested in any front-end interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Have not accept the offer yet but I am leaning heavy toward it. Compensation is very competitive.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

When an interview process lasts for 2.5 months and involves 10+ interviews and a whole lot of miscommunication, it will make you wonder what the business practices are. After that long, I'd found another position (total time for recruitment to hire under 1 month....3 interviews total). Splunk needs to review how they do this because the impression it gives to potential employees is one of indecision. I'd also learned during the process that the job I was interviewing for wasn't even approved by their Finance department, thus essentially wasting my time. A process riddled with many miscommunications. Job applied for is not even at Executive level. Ten interviews? Seriously? I read here on glassdoor comments about back stabbing happening in the company. This very subject came up in one of my interviews to try and gauge whether I gossip or backstab. I found it odd at the time, but now after reading the reviews, it makes sense. No thanks! I am a professional with 20+ years of experience. This interview process was insulting.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Splunk in October 2014.

Interview

There were two telephonic interviews in which they asked simple coding questions. Then there was on-site. There were 5 rounds of interviews Round1: Implement CPP functionalites in C Round2: Implement AVL tree Round3: Lunch and then they gave a socket program, asked me to add enhancements to it. Lunch round was nice. My interviewer was very friendly. Round4: Merge two sorted arrays and put the result in array1. Print a binary tree, each level in a new line Round5: With manager. Why splunk? What offer you have and which will you choose and why? How do you debug following things? Memory leaks, deadlocks, high cpu usage, etc. in a very big complex system where printing logs etc is not feasible Work culture was awesome. All preparations for the interview were excellent.

Security Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

I applied online. Process took two weeks. There were two phone interviews. The first one was a simple phone screen. Resume related questions. Second interview was a bit more technical. The job required knowledge of python which I didn't have, so I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my knowledge of python even though my resume has no mention of it.   Answer Question