Splunk

Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

Front End QA Automation Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

I applied online, and get contacted 2 days later. One phone screening, first question was what I know about Splunk, then asking all concept questions like how Selenium RC works, why java application is independent...what's SQL foreigner key... The guy just hand up the call, as I guess I was not doing well in these questions

Software Engineer Interview

Good interview, the interviewing team was quite friendly, good questions asked, they let me know the next day that wouldn't be making an offer. Though, I had performed decently, that was expected since I just had 2 years of experience and a Master's degree for a role requiring 5 years of experience. I knew the work culture from a friend who had interned there before and he told me that they are very particular about the quality of their code (since they just have this one big data product.). The interview mostly involved coding questions which you have to solve on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • Practice coding questions and make sure you get it right in the very first attempt.   Answer Question

Channel Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Splunk.

Very weird and disorganized. I had numerous recruiters contacting me scheduling all sorts of phone interviews and clearly not communicating with each other. That was the first red flag. Then I learned more about their channel. The actual sales managers could not answer my questions. The ones who clearly could did a very poor job of deflecting the truth. Whatever that is. I have looked at their public filings. They seem to be selling something with some success. I guess it's all direct sales. Anyways I didn't buy what they were trying to sell me. Their channel organization is a circus. Stay far away.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers should be answering this one. They did not ask me anything I did not know.   Answer Question

What a total nightmare. No thanks.

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk.

Very thorough and fast. Was not drawn out at all. Would have been nice to have lunch. Met with all the key players from manager, director, and several coworkers. Did not receive any technical questions, and they were open to communication after the process. Manager was very receptive and willing to continue emailing me after the interview to answer my questions.

Interview Questions
    • None. Very straightforward questions about what my experience was and why I was leaving and what I was looking for.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk in May 2014.

Hiring process started quickly. After the initial screening round they setup three phone interviews on the same day. The first person did not call, the second person called and asked if I had any questions for them. I said no, and he ended the call. In 10 mins I received a rejection email.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Splunk.

Initial phone screen. 1/2 hour. Standard phone interview. All open-ended questions. The interviewer began with the statement "let's stop from the top. Tell me what you know about splunk." I was grateful the interviewer gave me time to ask a few questions. Answers to those questions gave me a good perspective on what it might be like to work at splunk.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Splunk in April 2014.

Phone screen with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, two onsite interviews. All were about 2 weeks apart which lead to a long process. I heard nothing after the second onsite interview and had to contact 2 different recruiters (every interview was scheduled by a different person) before finally getting a call 3 weeks later. She told me she had been out of town for a few weeks, something had come up and the hiring manager was busy, but all the feedback on me was really great and she would be back in touch in a day or two. Never heard from her again. Really unprofessional considering the amount of time that I had put in. Until the negative second interview experience, I thought that it seemed like a good place to work with smart people but the process left me thinking that they are disorganized and maybe not handling growth well.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions - don't recall anything difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Splunk in April 2014.

I had a phone interview. The recruiter asked about some conceptual questions on Java and Python. He asked some general questions and then tell me to do a coding question next day. The question asked me to sort a log based on the date using two languages. It was not hard.

Interview Questions
    • The coding question is a little tricky, since they do not give you any limits.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in April 2014.

Applied through company's career site, and got reply right after the application was submitted. Scheduled the a phone screen for the following week. However, the experience was horrible. I applied for the Software Engineer Intern, but the hiring manager told me that there was only a position for QA left, without any early notice. And the whole process was less than 10 minutes. It was a very unpleasant interview, and I think they should at least inform me about the position before the interview. It turned out to be a waste of time.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in March 2014.

I applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Setup a phone screen.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. multi-threading and be prepared to write code.
      How to avoid deadlocks.