Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2015
Updated Mar 15, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk in May 2014.

Hiring process started quickly. After the initial screening round they setup three phone interviews on the same day. The first person did not call, the second person called and asked if I had any questions for them. I said no, and he ended the call. In 10 mins I received a rejection email.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Splunk.

Initial phone screen. 1/2 hour. Standard phone interview. All open-ended questions. The interviewer began with the statement "let's stop from the top. Tell me what you know about splunk." I was grateful the interviewer gave me time to ask a few questions. Answers to those questions gave me a good perspective on what it might be like to work at splunk.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Splunk in April 2014.

Phone screen with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, two onsite interviews. All were about 2 weeks apart which lead to a long process. I heard nothing after the second onsite interview and had to contact 2 different recruiters (every interview was scheduled by a different person) before finally getting a call 3 weeks later. She told me she had been out of town for a few weeks, something had come up and the hiring manager was busy, but all the feedback on me was really great and she would be back in touch in a day or two. Never heard from her again. Really unprofessional considering the amount of time that I had put in. Until the negative second interview experience, I thought that it seemed like a good place to work with smart people but the process left me thinking that they are disorganized and maybe not handling growth well.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions - don't recall anything difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Splunk in April 2014.

I had a phone interview. The recruiter asked about some conceptual questions on Java and Python. He asked some general questions and then tell me to do a coding question next day. The question asked me to sort a log based on the date using two languages. It was not hard.

Interview Questions
    • The coding question is a little tricky, since they do not give you any limits.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in April 2014.

Applied through company's career site, and got reply right after the application was submitted. Scheduled the a phone screen for the following week. However, the experience was horrible. I applied for the Software Engineer Intern, but the hiring manager told me that there was only a position for QA left, without any early notice. And the whole process was less than 10 minutes. It was a very unpleasant interview, and I think they should at least inform me about the position before the interview. It turned out to be a waste of time.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in March 2014.

I applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Setup a phone screen.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. multi-threading and be prepared to write code.
      How to avoid deadlocks.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Front End Interview

1 Phone Screen, followed by three back to back on site interviews. Chill guys, awesome work environment, but it seemed like they were interviewing me for a job I wasn't even qualified for.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Splunk in October 2013.

1 technical phone screen with no technical questions

Online Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

My interview process with Splunk was the strangest I've ever experienced, and that's coming from someone who has changed jobs 3 times in the past 6 years. In a nutshell, HR did an extremely poor job of communicating the process to me and dragged everything out for an obscene amount of time, ultimately resulting in no offer. Let me explain...

I applied through a friend and got a standard HR screen about two weeks later. Then they brought me into the office a week after that for interviews with the hiring manager and the other person on the team... so good so far. Those interviews went extremely well and I could tell they liked me a lot, so I left expecting good news but had no knowledge of whether I should be expecting a decision or more interviews. Turns out I had 4 more hours of interviews with people on crossfunctional teams that I would work with.

I can't blame them for being thorough but this is where it started to get weird. The first person I talked to didn't even know what role I was interviewing for and had never seen my resume, but it went well. The next person asked some Google-style questions about manhole covers, songs that describe me, etc. That went well and he even told me he'd recommend me for hire.

Next was a guy who flat out had an agenda to test my composure. I've been there before but he went over the top to the point of being degrading. He belittled my past experience saying things like "so you're saying you bridged the gap between engineering and sales... sounds like you weren't really doing anything." "We are very careful about who we hire and it doesn't seem like you have a lot of things on your resume that we're looking for. Explain why you even applied for this job." These kinds of questions went on for 45 minutes! Look, I get it, you want to see if I can handle the pressure but I felt totally worthless afterward because even the questions I answered well had a follow up that made me feel stupid.

The last interviewer was nicer but still had a similar agenda to get to the bottom of things. After all this I wrote the opportunity off assuming they didn't like me, but HR called to tell me that they did like me and hoped I wasn't put off by some people's "harsh interview tactics." "That's not what it would be like to work here." I was told I would hear within the next two weeks if I got the job or not. I kept following up but two weeks turned to six weeks. Then they asked me if I'd consider a temp-to-hire arrangement. Then they set up an interview with the SVP even though my interviews were supposedly done. Then the day before that interview they cancelled it and said "thanks for your time" with a copy-pasted two line email.... after all that!

I had a job at the time and wasn't desperate, but I fell in love with the industry they were in, the role, the office, and the hiring manager and wanted the job so badly from day one that I became naive and ended up wasting tons of time and energy. I don't think they meant for things to go as they did, but HR could have been much more transparent about what they were looking for and where I stood in the process. I have no interest in messing around and they blatantly took steps to lead me on when I wasn't what they wanted.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Splunk in September 2013.

Applied for front end engineer, contacted by the HR within 2 weeks of application, and scheduled for an interview days later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not hard. Asked about previous projects, basic JAVA concepts, and questions regarding Javascript.   Answer Question