Splunk

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

Online Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

My interview process with Splunk was the strangest I've ever experienced, and that's coming from someone who has changed jobs 3 times in the past 6 years. In a nutshell, HR did an extremely poor job of communicating the process to me and dragged everything out for an obscene amount of time, ultimately resulting in no offer. Let me explain...

I applied through a friend and got a standard HR screen about two weeks later. Then they brought me into the office a week after that for interviews with the hiring manager and the other person on the team... so good so far. Those interviews went extremely well and I could tell they liked me a lot, so I left expecting good news but had no knowledge of whether I should be expecting a decision or more interviews. Turns out I had 4 more hours of interviews with people on crossfunctional teams that I would work with.

I can't blame them for being thorough but this is where it started to get weird. The first person I talked to didn't even know what role I was interviewing for and had never seen my resume, but it went well. The next person asked some Google-style questions about manhole covers, songs that describe me, etc. That went well and he even told me he'd recommend me for hire.

Next was a guy who flat out had an agenda to test my composure. I've been there before but he went over the top to the point of being degrading. He belittled my past experience saying things like "so you're saying you bridged the gap between engineering and sales... sounds like you weren't really doing anything." "We are very careful about who we hire and it doesn't seem like you have a lot of things on your resume that we're looking for. Explain why you even applied for this job." These kinds of questions went on for 45 minutes! Look, I get it, you want to see if I can handle the pressure but I felt totally worthless afterward because even the questions I answered well had a follow up that made me feel stupid.

The last interviewer was nicer but still had a similar agenda to get to the bottom of things. After all this I wrote the opportunity off assuming they didn't like me, but HR called to tell me that they did like me and hoped I wasn't put off by some people's "harsh interview tactics." "That's not what it would be like to work here." I was told I would hear within the next two weeks if I got the job or not. I kept following up but two weeks turned to six weeks. Then they asked me if I'd consider a temp-to-hire arrangement. Then they set up an interview with the SVP even though my interviews were supposedly done. Then the day before that interview they cancelled it and said "thanks for your time" with a copy-pasted two line email.... after all that!

I had a job at the time and wasn't desperate, but I fell in love with the industry they were in, the role, the office, and the hiring manager and wanted the job so badly from day one that I became naive and ended up wasting tons of time and energy. I don't think they meant for things to go as they did, but HR could have been much more transparent about what they were looking for and where I stood in the process. I have no interest in messing around and they blatantly took steps to lead me on when I wasn't what they wanted.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Splunk in September 2013.

Applied for front end engineer, contacted by the HR within 2 weeks of application, and scheduled for an interview days later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not hard. Asked about previous projects, basic JAVA concepts, and questions regarding Javascript.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

Interview process was long. Was told in first phone interview they were looking at a six to eight week hiring process. It took seven and felt like nine. By the time I made it to onsite interviews, I was really excited about the company and its culture. Onsite interviews were a brutal five hour affair, with five hourlong interviews with mostly higher-ups. In general I thought I did well, except with one project manager who was subbing for another interviewer that was a no show. He seemed like a typical corporate douche, and I worried that my judgement of him showed and made the interview go badly. Anyway, you never know. I made it into the final round and didn't get the offer. I was disappointed, but respected the explained motivation for the company's lengthy interview process - to guard their cool little culture while the company grows, fast (they were in the middle of taking over the third floor of their building).

Interview Questions
    • What do you do to get information from an engineer when email and visiting their cubicle doesn't work.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

2 Phone interviews and then they flew me out for a face to face interview. When I arrived I was greeted with some changes to the interview roster but nothing major. Unfortunately the position that I applied for had not been adequately explained in their job requirements. They had been asking for one type of role which I currently occupy at a different company and after conversations discovered they were looking for something completely different. Considering I would not have applied for the job had I known they needed a different skill set entirely than what they were asking for I would advise anyone applying to be very thorough during the phone screening process before wasting your time. As it is I lost some vacation time and some out of pocket expense money.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interviewed by four or five individuals. Moderate chit chat and discussion of background, interests, problem-solving techniques. Was highly impressed with consideration and politeness of interviewers. The company needs better communication between recruiters and interviewers.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Splunk in June 2013.

Had 4 rounds of Interview, although it was supposed to be a 6 round interview. Types of questions were mostly on Design, How do you design a product and something like that, which went for more than 1 hour. Then I had the 2nd round which was on the projects that I have worked on, kept digging deeper into the projects. The 3rd round was mostly on Web Technologies, on CSS and Java scripts..4th round was on Python and Django. And finally the HR personal told me that they are unable to proceed further.

Interview Questions
    • How do you design market place for an elevator? I couldnt understand what exactly that means, I kept asking for more inputs but all the time it was the same question, there are elevators in a building, how do you design apps for those elevators, how does the developers upload them to the market place...I couldnt answer this question, and this was the first question   View Answer

Field Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Splunk in March 2013.

The interview process was way too long. From the time I had my 1st phone screen to the time I had subsequent phone screens and onsite interviews took about 6 months. I had started losing interest in the position by then.
    The SF office is really nice and the people were very cool. There was free food for lunch and an overall fun atmosphere. The people working there did seem to enjoy their job and it seemed like a great place to work. I was offered a position but declined due to the extensive travel involved. The field support engineers travel at least 75% of the time. They did seem to realize how difficult this was and it was discussed that most field engineers do not keep that position long term. They work that job for a year or 2 and then transition into another role at Splunk. So had I been able to put up with the travel I do think this would have been a great opportunity with a great company. I had an offer on the table from another company without the travel so I went with that.

Interview Questions
    • The questions themselves were not difficult but I did feel a little intimidated by a couple of the interviewers. I could tell they were really looking for smart people and not going to accept anything less.   Answer Question

Too much travel and another offer on the table from another company.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in March 2013.

Contacted a HR through LinkedIn. She asked me to send my resume. Later got a call from her that a manager wants to interview me for a testing position he has.
    Interview- Started with basic questions on Quicksort, then, went into OS, we discussed thrashing. Asked some behavioral questions like, 'what motivates you to work?'.
    At the end asked a testing question- 'How will you test Gmail's login page?'

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Splunk in March 2013.

- Got contacted via LinkedIn
    - No technical phone interview. Only phone conversation was with HR.
    - In-person interview was set a few weeks later as the hiring manager was on vacation.
    - Spoke with 6 people around 5 hours in the office.

The in-office part was very dis-organized with one of the interviewers calling in sick. There were a few Skype interviews which were running late because the interviewers were not on-time.

On the whole a very dis-organized process.

I never heard back from anyone at the company following the interview. I looped back with them once to check and received no response.

Interview Questions
    • Standard technical troubleshooting questions. Some questions on iterators and constructors.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Splunk.

Very fast hiring process. Was interviewed directly by the team that was looking for interns on their project. Best part about all the interviews was that there were no trick questions, no math puzzles or other lateral thinking riddles. There were also no ridiculous questions like what are your weaknesses and strengths.
    All interviewers kept the questions very conceptual, engaging me in open discussions about my previous projects and the technologies that I am comfortable with.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unreasonably tough questions.   View Answer