Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Splunk.

Interview process was long. Was told in first phone interview they were looking at a six to eight week hiring process. It took seven and felt like nine. By the time I made it to onsite interviews, I was really excited about the company and its culture. Onsite interviews were a brutal five hour affair, with five hourlong interviews with mostly higher-ups. In general I thought I did well, except with one project manager who was subbing for another interviewer that was a no show. He seemed like a typical corporate douche, and I worried that my judgement of him showed and made the interview go badly. Anyway, you never know. I made it into the final round and didn't get the offer. I was disappointed, but respected the explained motivation for the company's lengthy interview process - to guard their cool little culture while the company grows, fast (they were in the middle of taking over the third floor of their building).

Interview Questions
    • What do you do to get information from an engineer when email and visiting their cubicle doesn't work.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Splunk.

2 Phone interviews and then they flew me out for a face to face interview. When I arrived I was greeted with some changes to the interview roster but nothing major. Unfortunately the position that I applied for had not been adequately explained in their job requirements. They had been asking for one type of role which I currently occupy at a different company and after conversations discovered they were looking for something completely different. Considering I would not have applied for the job had I known they needed a different skill set entirely than what they were asking for I would advise anyone applying to be very thorough during the phone screening process before wasting your time. As it is I lost some vacation time and some out of pocket expense money.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Splunk in June 2013.

Had 4 rounds of Interview, although it was supposed to be a 6 round interview. Types of questions were mostly on Design, How do you design a product and something like that, which went for more than 1 hour. Then I had the 2nd round which was on the projects that I have worked on, kept digging deeper into the projects. The 3rd round was mostly on Web Technologies, on CSS and Java scripts..4th round was on Python and Django. And finally the HR personal told me that they are unable to proceed further.

Interview Questions
    • How do you design market place for an elevator? I couldnt understand what exactly that means, I kept asking for more inputs but all the time it was the same question, there are elevators in a building, how do you design apps for those elevators, how does the developers upload them to the market place...I couldnt answer this question, and this was the first question   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interviewed by four or five individuals. Moderate chit chat and discussion of background, interests, problem-solving techniques. Was highly impressed with consideration and politeness of interviewers. The company needs better communication between recruiters and interviewers.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Splunk in March 2013.

- Got contacted via LinkedIn
    - No technical phone interview. Only phone conversation was with HR.
    - In-person interview was set a few weeks later as the hiring manager was on vacation.
    - Spoke with 6 people around 5 hours in the office.

The in-office part was very dis-organized with one of the interviewers calling in sick. There were a few Skype interviews which were running late because the interviewers were not on-time.

On the whole a very dis-organized process.

I never heard back from anyone at the company following the interview. I looped back with them once to check and received no response.

Interview Questions
    • Standard technical troubleshooting questions. Some questions on iterators and constructors.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Splunk in March 2013.

Contacted a HR through LinkedIn. She asked me to send my resume. Later got a call from her that a manager wants to interview me for a testing position he has.
    Interview- Started with basic questions on Quicksort, then, went into OS, we discussed thrashing. Asked some behavioral questions like, 'what motivates you to work?'.
    At the end asked a testing question- 'How will you test Gmail's login page?'

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Splunk in December 2012.

First round: telephone screening
    Second round: In person technical interview
    Third round: In person interview with broader management team and project team.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Splunk.

Very fast hiring process. Was interviewed directly by the team that was looking for interns on their project. Best part about all the interviews was that there were no trick questions, no math puzzles or other lateral thinking riddles. There were also no ridiculous questions like what are your weaknesses and strengths.
    All interviewers kept the questions very conceptual, engaging me in open discussions about my previous projects and the technologies that I am comfortable with.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unreasonably tough questions.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Splunk.

Applied for the position through LinkedIn, within a week an HR contacted me about the opportunity. For the following week I had two technical phone interviews with the technical members in the team. I cleared both the interviews and was called for a day long onsite interview.

The onsite interview process was pretty smooth. Mostly open ended questions like how would you design a search tool and some question about debugging skills.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were bit tricky, like the open ended ones when there is no right and wrong answer.   View Answer

Developer In Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Splunk.

Behavioral and programming background questions at phone screen. Five in-person interviews in SF. Questions about regular expressions, data sorting, irrelevant 'math' problems, merge sort. After interview was called over the phone to interview in another division. Asked a dynamic programming question; but I doubt the interviewer knew it was a dynamic programming problem rather than simply a 'well-known' algorithm.

Too much 'coding' and parroting out answers to well-known problems; little to no original problem-solving.