Splunk Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

2.6

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

Interview

Contacted on LinkedIn.. Process was smooth..But they ask junior engineer to take initial rounds. Only 1 phone coding interview. I have close to 12.5 years experience. The interviewer was junior software engineer. These juniors do not understand the big picture OR don't know what to ask..They just ask some coding program which they have done during college days and they judge people with great experience on that. I was initially told there will be 2 interviews and after one interview another junior guy said they were not going ahead.. I was laughing and felt good that I did not have work with such people.. But Splunk looses good people who want to work for company.. Actually I solved the programming interview questions in 2 different ways..told him that I have made some assumptions to keep it simple..I can make it complex if required. He seemed to be not happy :)

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions...Standard question - How to check if 2 strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Splunk

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Splunk in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Setup a phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. multi-threading and be prepared to write code. How to avoid deadlocks.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Splunk in June 2013.

Interview

Had 4 rounds of Interview, although it was supposed to be a 6 round interview. Types of questions were mostly on Design, How do you design a product and something like that, which went for more than 1 hour. Then I had the 2nd round which was on the projects that I have worked on, kept digging deeper into the projects. The 3rd round was mostly on Web Technologies, on CSS and Java scripts..4th round was on Python and Django. And finally the HR personal told me that they are unable to proceed further.

Interview Questions

• How do you design market place for an elevator? I couldnt understand what exactly that means, I kept asking for more inputs but all the time it was the same question, there are elevators in a building, how do you design apps for those elevators, how does the developers upload them to the market place...I couldnt answer this question, and this was the first question   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

First round: telephone screening Second round: In person technical interview Third round: In person interview with broader management team and project team.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Splunk in August 2015.

Interview

Pretty much the worst interview process I've ever had. I applied online, and they came back within a few days asking for my availability for a phone interview. Things were looking ok up to here, but then out of nowhere they mistakenly send me someone else's job offer (?!?!?) In hindsight this is when I should have turned back. Two more weeks went past with complete silence from them -- how hard can it be to schedule a phone call? Then, again out of nowhere I get an e-mail really late night saying two phone interviews were "confirmed" both for next day, despite the fact I had explicitly asked for advance notice. I ended up taking a last minute day-off from my current job to attend. So, I wait for them to call me, first interview surprise surprise.. no call, no email excuse, nothing! I send an e-mail asking what happened, no reply. Time for second interview comes up, this time they call me about half an hour late for a 45min interview. I ask why the first interviewer didn't call me, but they say they didn't even know that happened. The first thing they tell me during the interview is that the job isn't what was in the job description. It's a "debugging" job investigating server issues, devops/IT not senior software engineering/programming as advertised (seriously?!?). Then the interviewer asked two simple questions and said they were going to forward me to a different position. Two more weeks pass with no reply. Get your stuff together Splunk, you have a good product and interesting tech, but what is going on with your HR? Also a tip for you, make sure you don't put junior engineers to interview senior people.

Interview Questions

• Fibonacci and BFS traversal, the interview was junior and it took longer for him to understand my solution than for me to write it.   Answer Question