Splunk Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

Contacted on LinkedIn.. Process was smooth..But they ask junior engineer to take initial rounds.
Only 1 phone coding interview. I have close to 12.5 years experience. The interviewer was junior software engineer.
These juniors do not understand the big picture OR don't know what to ask..They just ask some coding program which they have done during college days and they judge people with great experience on that. I was initially told there will be 2 interviews and after one interview another junior guy said they were not going ahead.. I was laughing and felt good that I did not have work with such people.. But Splunk looses good people who want to work for company..
Actually I solved the programming interview questions in 2 different ways..told him that I have made some assumptions to keep it simple..I can make it complex if required.
He seemed to be not happy :)

Interview Questions
  • No difficult questions...Standard question - How to check if 2 strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Splunk

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Splunk in March 2014.

I applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Setup a phone screen.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. multi-threading and be prepared to write code.
      How to avoid deadlocks.
        Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Splunk in June 2013.

Had 4 rounds of Interview, although it was supposed to be a 6 round interview. Types of questions were mostly on Design, How do you design a product and something like that, which went for more than 1 hour. Then I had the 2nd round which was on the projects that I have worked on, kept digging deeper into the projects. The 3rd round was mostly on Web Technologies, on CSS and Java scripts..4th round was on Python and Django. And finally the HR personal told me that they are unable to proceed further.

Interview Questions
    • How do you design market place for an elevator? I couldnt understand what exactly that means, I kept asking for more inputs but all the time it was the same question, there are elevators in a building, how do you design apps for those elevators, how does the developers upload them to the market place...I couldnt answer this question, and this was the first question   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Splunk in December 2012.

First round: telephone screening
    Second round: In person technical interview
    Third round: In person interview with broader management team and project team.