Splunk Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2014

3.4

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Typical bay area software engineer interview process involving nearly 10 interviewers with 5 or 6 rounds of interviews. Interview is based on algorithms & data structures, systems & multi threading.

Other Interview Reviews for Splunk

Software Engineer Interview

Good interview, the interviewing team was quite friendly, good questions asked, they let me know the next day that wouldn't be making an offer. Though, I had performed decently, that was expected since I just had 2 years of experience and a Master's degree for a role requiring 5 years of experience. I knew the work culture from a friend who had interned there before and he told me that they are very particular about the quality of their code (since they just have this one big data product.). The interview mostly involved coding questions which you have to solve on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • Practice coding questions and make sure you get it right in the very first attempt.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Splunk in October 2013.

1 technical phone screen with no technical questions

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Splunk in September 2013.

Applied for front end engineer, contacted by the HR within 2 weeks of application, and scheduled for an interview days later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not hard. Asked about previous projects, basic JAVA concepts, and questions regarding Javascript.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interviewed by four or five individuals. Moderate chit chat and discussion of background, interests, problem-solving techniques. Was highly impressed with consideration and politeness of interviewers. The company needs better communication between recruiters and interviewers.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Splunk.

Applied for the position through LinkedIn, within a week an HR contacted me about the opportunity. For the following week I had two technical phone interviews with the technical members in the team. I cleared both the interviews and was called for a day long onsite interview.

The onsite interview process was pretty smooth. Mostly open ended questions like how would you design a search tool and some question about debugging skills.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were bit tricky, like the open ended ones when there is no right and wrong answer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Splunk in March 2011.

Splunk people are not organised.They dont know what they need from candidate.
    Eventhough they knew that i did not have the skills they were looking for they called me for personal interview and wasted my 1 full day.
    Beware of it and make sure your skillset matches before going for an interview.
    Otherwise you will waste your time.....

Interview Questions
    • Sorting algorithms,Performace,scalability,Unix and Linux   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

First round phone interview. Data structure and algorithm.
    Second round on site, more questions about operating system.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Splunk in May 2012.

Career fair meeting. Then the person who I met at the career fair called me (cold, no warning), to ask me some technical questions. After I answered these, they wanted to set up a time to do a programming skills test. They then sent me an email with the specs for this test. They gave 4 hours to complete the task of writing this in two different languages. It was very easy. After completing this, they asked me to implement it in a different way than I had at first. This was also relatively easy. However, I guess it wasn't that easy, because they didn't call me back for a further interview. Not sure what I did, as there was no communication about this.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between final and finally in Java?   View Answer
    • Explain mutability in Python with examples.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Splunk in April 2011.

It's just like any other tech interview - came in the morning, met with a few people, talked about what they did, what I've done in previous jobs, got asked some technical questions. Had lunch with some employees.

Splunk is uber laid back - it's very informal, there's always something going on, and just a good place to be around.

Overall, people were very nice and willing to answer questions.

Negotiate a job, team and work that you're passionate about. Everything else just works out afterwards.