Sport Chalet

26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pleasanton, CA

Interviewed at Sport Chalet

Interview Details – I applied online and got called back in a few days. It was a group interview. There were 2 groups of interviewees of about 15 people each. They took us into the backroom; the interviewer asked a question and each person would have to answer the question.

Interview Question – Don't remember the questions.   Answer Question

Scuba Sales (Previous Employee 2005-2008) Interview

Scuba Sales (Previous Employee 2005-2008)
Oxnard, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – First there is the usual retail interview. Then they have a really lame personality test. Its funny I worked at Sport Chalet for 3 great years and I was one of their best employees. I had to leave for a 2 years and when I tried to come back I failed the personality test. WTF

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? How would you handle an upset customer? When have you gone above and beyond for a customer. Have you ever turned an mad customer into a happy customer...Enplane.   Answer Question

La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sport Chalet in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in person and the manager said they would contact me within the next week, but didn't (application to interview time took about 2.5 weeks). I then called to follow up after a week of no contact and was told to ask for the hiring manager who I was told wasn't there that day (or for the following 2 days) and when I finally got a hold of him, he said that they weren't hiring at that time. 4 days later, I received a call to schedule for a group interview on one of the following 3 days, of which I chose the soonest date and time available.

Dress code seemed business casual (both me and fellow applicants wore dress shirts and slacks) for the interview. Store employees wore polos.

The interview itself was run a group format with 2 other applicants (and an apparent no-show) along with the store's hiring manager running the interview. The questions were pretty general (i.e., What interested you in working at Sport Chalet? What do you consider providing quality customer service to be? Do you play any sports or do any outdoor activities? What customer service/sales experiences do you bring to the table?) like they were trying to get a general idea of what department to place you, if hired. One of my fellow applicants was SCUBA certified and he asked more about that, but otherwise questions were pretty general.

The interview ended and the hiring manager said they had more applicants to interview later in the week and to follow up in a week if we hadn't heard from them. Once again, upon calling back, I had a difficult time reaching the hiring manager, until he eventually told me the position had been filled.

Interview Question – nothing very unexpected   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Bike Tech Interview

Bike Tech

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – I put in a app they called me the next week had the interview interview was really easy didnt ask me anything just took me into the back and had me take a phone test when i passed he said i was hired.

Negotiation Details – just took the offer it was my first job

Floor Sales Interview

Floor Sales
Redlands, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – First they will review applications, usually take about 3 weeks, then call you in for a group interview. The group interview is with about 5 other candidates and lasts an hour. Next they will have you come in and do a phone screening asking basic questions based on personality. Last you will interview with the general manager one on one.

Interview Question – What do you know about Sport Chalet?   View Answers (2)

SALES ASSOCIATE SPORT CHALET Interview

SALES ASSOCIATE SPORT CHALET

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sport Chalet in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied with a hard copy application and submitted it to an in-store manager. I recieved a call to be part of a group interview. Mostly personality questions and some experience questions. Be ready to go in the interview by expressing your awesome personality.

Interview Question – What can you say that will help me remember you for the decision on the hiring process?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sport Chalet in September 2011.

Interview Details – Asked about customer service questions
Straight forward interview
Be specific with what you want to do

Interview Question – Pick an item in the room and sell me an item   Answer Question

General Manager In Training Interview

General Manager In Training

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – Applying for the position was a simple process and was simply submitting a resume. After applying I connected with a recruiter through LinkedIn and within a week set up an interview with the hiring District Manager. There was only one interview. The interview was informal. I was offered a position a week later.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions, but what was unexpected were the negative comments about the company and position. It seemed as though I was trying to be scared away from the position to see if I was truly interested.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay is not competitive for Specialty Big Box retail, the company has raises, bonuses, and 401(k) matching frozen, and the training for the position was near non-existant.

Marina del Rey, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – Interview was easy - first I was called at 8pm and asked if I could come in the next day and interview. It was a group interview asking; What is your work history and tell me of a good/bad experience you had as a customer. They want to know if you know what Good customer service is and how to make customers happy. Then I was called to a one on one interview with the store manager. I would suggest you have an idea of what the company is about, read the sports chalet story on their website and have an idea of what department you would fit best at and why. Then you also have to take a phone interview, mostly asking if you take drugs or are late to work just answer common sense. Then your hired or not. good luck.

Interview Question – have you ever used a sales system and what did that system include?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, They offer you accept or decline.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair where they did a group interview first. Two General Managers from two other stores were the interviewer. They would ask 3 questions to each person. If they like you, then they would call you for another interview which will be 1 on1.

Interview Question – What do you know about Sport Chalet?
What are some of your core values?
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sport Chalet

Worked for Sport Chalet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sport Chalet interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sport Chalet employees and interview candidates.