Sport Chalet

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

2.0

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

submitted an interview as it was my first job in high school. I showed up and was interviewed my the manager on duty. I was asked basic behavioral questions along with situational questions. The interviewer proceeded to ask me about my past expierences and what I now about the company. All standard questions for anyone going into an interview.

Interview Questions
    straight offer with an hourly salalry.

General Athletics Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

I applied online and was called in for an interview about a week later. It was a group interview with about 7 people. The questions were basic and mostly consisted of past customer service situations. They ended up hiring all 7 of us.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you used customer service to deal with an irate customer.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It was minimum wage.

Retail Sales Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

Walk in and fill out an application and then ask to speak with the store manager or assistant manager. If you specialize in a certain sport area find the dept and talk to the department head and then ask them to introduce you to the store manager while submitting your resume.

minimum wage part time

Footwear Department Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

My friend referred me. I filled out an application. Went in constantly, got to know the other employees and managers. Some of the people are chill. Got called in. Manager said since I have so much retail experience that he would pay me $8.50/hr (I didn't care I just wanted a job) come to find out later, that the same footwear full time co-worker got paid $12.50/hr and has worked less time than me! Plus, he sometimes didn't do anything! I am sweating my butt off while sometime they just put go backs and leave them there. Oh, and I kept trying to ask the managers if they can bump me up into full time cause I was part time and they said sport chalet doesn't have that many full timers.... And by the way, the managers are super busy though, but call them after the interview and let them know you are still interested.

Honestly, I wish I could've negotiated with my manager, but it is what it is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and got called back in a few days. It was a group interview. There were 2 groups of interviewees of about 15 people each. They took us into the backroom; the interviewer asked a question and each person would have to answer the question.

Scuba Sales (Previous Employee 2005-2008) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxnard, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxnard, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

First there is the usual retail interview. Then they have a really lame personality test. Its funny I worked at Sport Chalet for 3 great years and I was one of their best employees. I had to leave for a 2 years and when I tried to come back I failed the personality test. WTF

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? How would you handle an upset customer? When have you gone above and beyond for a customer. Have you ever turned an mad customer into a happy customer...Enplane.   Answer Question

Bike Tech Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

I put in a app they called me the next week had the interview interview was really easy didnt ask me anything just took me into the back and had me take a phone test when i passed he said i was hired.

just took the offer it was my first job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet in January 2014.

Applied in person and the manager said they would contact me within the next week, but didn't (application to interview time took about 2.5 weeks). I then called to follow up after a week of no contact and was told to ask for the hiring manager who I was told wasn't there that day (or for the following 2 days) and when I finally got a hold of him, he said that they weren't hiring at that time. 4 days later, I received a call to schedule for a group interview on one of the following 3 days, of which I chose the soonest date and time available.

Dress code seemed business casual (both me and fellow applicants wore dress shirts and slacks) for the interview. Store employees wore polos.

The interview itself was run a group format with 2 other applicants (and an apparent no-show) along with the store's hiring manager running the interview. The questions were pretty general (i.e., What interested you in working at Sport Chalet? What do you consider providing quality customer service to be? Do you play any sports or do any outdoor activities? What customer service/sales experiences do you bring to the table?) like they were trying to get a general idea of what department to place you, if hired. One of my fellow applicants was SCUBA certified and he asked more about that, but otherwise questions were pretty general.

The interview ended and the hiring manager said they had more applicants to interview later in the week and to follow up in a week if we hadn't heard from them. Once again, upon calling back, I had a difficult time reaching the hiring manager, until he eventually told me the position had been filled.

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sport Chalet in January 2014.

first interview is with a assistant manager then if you pass that. which you should. then you interview with the store manager. then you get a call from the store manager hopefully giving you a offer.

Can't negotiate

Floor Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

First they will review applications, usually take about 3 weeks, then call you in for a group interview. The group interview is with about 5 other candidates and lasts an hour. Next they will have you come in and do a phone screening asking basic questions based on personality. Last you will interview with the general manager one on one.