Sport Chalet Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview

asked about a job in person, filled out an application on the spot, and interviewed the next day
5 person group interview
interviewer arrived late
got offered the job on my way home from the interview, and higher pay than I'd expected

Interview Questions

Negotiation

you might be able to negotiate for a higher rate of pay, I didn't try, but they generally do not give raises once you work there.

Other Interview Reviews for Sport Chalet

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview

submitted an interview as it was my first job in high school. I showed up and was interviewed my the manager on duty. I was asked basic behavioral questions along with situational questions. The interviewer proceeded to ask me about my past expierences and what I now about the company. All standard questions for anyone going into an interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

straight offer with an hourly salalry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet (Valencia, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

About a two weeks after I applied I was called in for a group interview. It was a pretty basic interview; Tell me about yourself, why you're best for the job, etc. They also gave a couple hypotheticals which were also pretty basic. (Talk about passion and you're golden.). I got a call later that afternoon asking if I wanted to come in for an individual interview later that week. That interview was also pretty easy. They asked questions like: What's your favorite subject in school and how can you apply that to your job?, what can you bring to this job? They also asked me to sell them the product they had on the table (Socks and the custom orthotics they sell in the footwear dept.)

Interview Questions

• You're the manager of a small business and you have two employees training right now. You can only keep one of them. Employee A has pretty good sales numbers but isn't very friendly. He/She is not rude but is a bit stand-offish. Employee B is extremely friendly and customers love to see him/her. His/Hers numbers aren't bad but they're a bit below where they should be. Which employee would you choose to stay with the company and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Interview

I applied online and got called back in a few days. It was a group interview. There were 2 groups of interviewees of about 15 people each. They took us into the backroom; the interviewer asked a question and each person would have to answer the question.

Anonymous Employee in La Canada Flintridge, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet (La Canada Flintridge, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied in person and the manager said they would contact me within the next week, but didn't (application to interview time took about 2.5 weeks). I then called to follow up after a week of no contact and was told to ask for the hiring manager who I was told wasn't there that day (or for the following 2 days) and when I finally got a hold of him, he said that they weren't hiring at that time. 4 days later, I received a call to schedule for a group interview on one of the following 3 days, of which I chose the soonest date and time available.

Dress code seemed business casual (both me and fellow applicants wore dress shirts and slacks) for the interview. Store employees wore polos.

The interview itself was run a group format with 2 other applicants (and an apparent no-show) along with the store's hiring manager running the interview. The questions were pretty general (i.e., What interested you in working at Sport Chalet? What do you consider providing quality customer service to be? Do you play any sports or do any outdoor activities? What customer service/sales experiences do you bring to the table?) like they were trying to get a general idea of what department to place you, if hired. One of my fellow applicants was SCUBA certified and he asked more about that, but otherwise questions were pretty general.

The interview ended and the hiring manager said they had more applicants to interview later in the week and to follow up in a week if we hadn't heard from them. Once again, upon calling back, I had a difficult time reaching the hiring manager, until he eventually told me the position had been filled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marina del Rey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sport Chalet (Marina del Rey, CA).

Interview

Interview was easy - first I was called at 8pm and asked if I could come in the next day and interview. It was a group interview asking; What is your work history and tell me of a good/bad experience you had as a customer. They want to know if you know what Good customer service is and how to make customers happy. Then I was called to a one on one interview with the store manager. I would suggest you have an idea of what the company is about, read the sports chalet story on their website and have an idea of what department you would fit best at and why. Then you also have to take a phone interview, mostly asking if you take drugs or are late to work just answer common sense. Then your hired or not. good luck.

Interview Questions

• have you ever used a sales system and what did that system include?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, They offer you accept or decline.

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sport Chalet (Costa Mesa, CA).

Interview

I was called within a week of applying. The woman interviewing clearly never read my application because I was applying for a job in the water sports department, yet I was interviewed for something different.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet (Mission Viejo, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

It took forever to get the job, I had to go back to the store 4 times after applying online. GO into the store. They don't review online applications. Interview was painless. Simple questions asked...What do you know? How could we benefit from hiring you? I've been in retail for a long time, nothing was unexpected.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations or possibilities of raises at this moment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sport Chalet (Bakersfield, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online and was called a few days after. Interview was very easy and personal. The store manager and I had conversations more than him asking questions and ,me answerirng them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They just offered me what was expected.

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet (Tempe, AZ) in July 2010.

Interview

Things seemed to be unorganized with this company as to how interviews should be done. The managers at some of the locations seemed to not know what was going on or who was going to be doing the interviewing. This was the second store I interviewed at. The day I was asked to come in for the interview the manager was not even there that I was going to originally interview with, so there seemed to be no structure with the interview.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have that would benefit you in doing this job?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a good and bad experience that you may have had recently and why do you think I asked this question?   Answer Question

I choose to decline the offer because of how unorganized things were with interview process.