Sport Chalet

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pleasanton, CA

Interviewed at Sport Chalet

Interview Details – I applied online and got called back in a few days. It was a group interview. There were 2 groups of interviewees of about 15 people each. They took us into the backroom; the interviewer asked a question and each person would have to answer the question.

Interview Question – Don't remember the questions.   Answer Question

La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sport Chalet in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in person and the manager said they would contact me within the next week, but didn't (application to interview time took about 2.5 weeks). I then called to follow up after a week of no contact and was told to ask for the hiring manager who I was told wasn't there that day (or for the following 2 days) and when I finally got a hold of him, he said that they weren't hiring at that time. 4 days later, I received a call to schedule for a group interview on one of the following 3 days, of which I chose the soonest date and time available.

Dress code seemed business casual (both me and fellow applicants wore dress shirts and slacks) for the interview. Store employees wore polos.

The interview itself was run a group format with 2 other applicants (and an apparent no-show) along with the store's hiring manager running the interview. The questions were pretty general (i.e., What interested you in working at Sport Chalet? What do you consider providing quality customer service to be? Do you play any sports or do any outdoor activities? What customer service/sales experiences do you bring to the table?) like they were trying to get a general idea of what department to place you, if hired. One of my fellow applicants was SCUBA certified and he asked more about that, but otherwise questions were pretty general.

The interview ended and the hiring manager said they had more applicants to interview later in the week and to follow up in a week if we hadn't heard from them. Once again, upon calling back, I had a difficult time reaching the hiring manager, until he eventually told me the position had been filled.

Interview Question – nothing very unexpected   Answer Question

Marina del Rey, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – Interview was easy - first I was called at 8pm and asked if I could come in the next day and interview. It was a group interview asking; What is your work history and tell me of a good/bad experience you had as a customer. They want to know if you know what Good customer service is and how to make customers happy. Then I was called to a one on one interview with the store manager. I would suggest you have an idea of what the company is about, read the sports chalet story on their website and have an idea of what department you would fit best at and why. Then you also have to take a phone interview, mostly asking if you take drugs or are late to work just answer common sense. Then your hired or not. good luck.

Interview Question – have you ever used a sales system and what did that system include?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, They offer you accept or decline.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – I was called within a week of applying. The woman interviewing clearly never read my application because I was applying for a job in the water sports department, yet I was interviewed for something different.

Interview Question – What sports do you play?   Answer Question

Mission Viejo, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sport Chalet in October 2012.

Interview Details – It took forever to get the job, I had to go back to the store 4 times after applying online. GO into the store. They don't review online applications. Interview was painless. Simple questions asked...What do you know? How could we benefit from hiring you? I've been in retail for a long time, nothing was unexpected.

Interview Question – What do you expect to be paid?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations or possibilities of raises at this moment.

Bakersfield, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sport Chalet in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called a few days after. Interview was very easy and personal. The store manager and I had conversations more than him asking questions and ,me answerirng them.

Interview Question – What do you know about Sport Chalet?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They just offered me what was expected.

Tempe, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sport Chalet in July 2010.

Interview Details – Things seemed to be unorganized with this company as to how interviews should be done. The managers at some of the locations seemed to not know what was going on or who was going to be doing the interviewing. This was the second store I interviewed at. The day I was asked to come in for the interview the manager was not even there that I was going to originally interview with, so there seemed to be no structure with the interview.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have that would benefit you in doing this job?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a good and bad experience that you may have had recently and why do you think I asked this question?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I choose to decline the offer because of how unorganized things were with interview process.

Las Vegas, NV

The process took a day - interviewed at Sport Chalet in September 2008.

Interview Details – Face to face interview with store Assistant and/or General Manager. Easy process.

Interview Question – What's your worst quality?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Slightly negotiable salary

West Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sport Chalet in February 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is long. I applied in person early in January 2010, and got my 1st call back around Feb. 2nd asking me to come in the next Thursday. The hiring process is cut into 3 stages. The 1st interview is by phone. The manager calls you in, takes you to the office, sits you down, gives you a number to dial, and you answer about 200 questions. If everything is cleared, you get a 2nd call asking you to come in a do a 1:1 interview with one of the assistant managers or dept. heads. If they like you, they will then give their recommendation to the general manager, who will call you in for a 3rd interview, which is 1:1 with him/her. If the general manager gives you the thumbs up, you will be called later with a firm job offer, starting wage, and orientation date. After that, it's all golden.

Interview Questions

• What made you apply, and want to work at Sport Chalet?   Answer Question
  • Give an example of a previous experience, where you either received or gave excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You aren't really able to negotiate. They will either have an opening for you, or they won't.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview Details – Why do you want to work here?
What activities do you participate in?

Interview Question – Why should I buy this coffee mug?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sport Chalet

Worked for Sport Chalet? Contribute to the Community!