Sport Chalet

2.3

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and got called back in a few days. It was a group interview. There were 2 groups of interviewees of about 15 people each. They took us into the backroom; the interviewer asked a question and each person would have to answer the question.

Other Interview Reviews for Sport Chalet

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet in January 2014.

Applied in person and the manager said they would contact me within the next week, but didn't (application to interview time took about 2.5 weeks). I then called to follow up after a week of no contact and was told to ask for the hiring manager who I was told wasn't there that day (or for the following 2 days) and when I finally got a hold of him, he said that they weren't hiring at that time. 4 days later, I received a call to schedule for a group interview on one of the following 3 days, of which I chose the soonest date and time available.

Dress code seemed business casual (both me and fellow applicants wore dress shirts and slacks) for the interview. Store employees wore polos.

The interview itself was run a group format with 2 other applicants (and an apparent no-show) along with the store's hiring manager running the interview. The questions were pretty general (i.e., What interested you in working at Sport Chalet? What do you consider providing quality customer service to be? Do you play any sports or do any outdoor activities? What customer service/sales experiences do you bring to the table?) like they were trying to get a general idea of what department to place you, if hired. One of my fellow applicants was SCUBA certified and he asked more about that, but otherwise questions were pretty general.

The interview ended and the hiring manager said they had more applicants to interview later in the week and to follow up in a week if we hadn't heard from them. Once again, upon calling back, I had a difficult time reaching the hiring manager, until he eventually told me the position had been filled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marina del Rey, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marina del Rey, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

Interview was easy - first I was called at 8pm and asked if I could come in the next day and interview. It was a group interview asking; What is your work history and tell me of a good/bad experience you had as a customer. They want to know if you know what Good customer service is and how to make customers happy. Then I was called to a one on one interview with the store manager. I would suggest you have an idea of what the company is about, read the sports chalet story on their website and have an idea of what department you would fit best at and why. Then you also have to take a phone interview, mostly asking if you take drugs or are late to work just answer common sense. Then your hired or not. good luck.

Interview Questions
    • have you ever used a sales system and what did that system include?   View Answer
    No negotiation, They offer you accept or decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Sport Chalet.

I was called within a week of applying. The woman interviewing clearly never read my application because I was applying for a job in the water sports department, yet I was interviewed for something different.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet in October 2012.

It took forever to get the job, I had to go back to the store 4 times after applying online. GO into the store. They don't review online applications. Interview was painless. Simple questions asked...What do you know? How could we benefit from hiring you? I've been in retail for a long time, nothing was unexpected.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations or possibilities of raises at this moment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sport Chalet in June 2012.

I applied online and was called a few days after. Interview was very easy and personal. The store manager and I had conversations more than him asking questions and ,me answerirng them.

Interview Questions
    They just offered me what was expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet in July 2010.

Things seemed to be unorganized with this company as to how interviews should be done. The managers at some of the locations seemed to not know what was going on or who was going to be doing the interviewing. This was the second store I interviewed at. The day I was asked to come in for the interview the manager was not even there that I was going to originally interview with, so there seemed to be no structure with the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What type of experience do you have that would benefit you in doing this job?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a good and bad experience that you may have had recently and why do you think I asked this question?   Answer Question

I choose to decline the offer because of how unorganized things were with interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sport Chalet in February 2010.

The hiring process is long. I applied in person early in January 2010, and got my 1st call back around Feb. 2nd asking me to come in the next Thursday. The hiring process is cut into 3 stages. The 1st interview is by phone. The manager calls you in, takes you to the office, sits you down, gives you a number to dial, and you answer about 200 questions. If everything is cleared, you get a 2nd call asking you to come in a do a 1:1 interview with one of the assistant managers or dept. heads. If they like you, they will then give their recommendation to the general manager, who will call you in for a 3rd interview, which is 1:1 with him/her. If the general manager gives you the thumbs up, you will be called later with a firm job offer, starting wage, and orientation date. After that, it's all golden.

Interview Questions
    • What made you apply, and want to work at Sport Chalet?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a previous experience, where you either received or gave excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    You aren't really able to negotiate. They will either have an opening for you, or they won't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sport Chalet in September 2008.

Face to face interview with store Assistant and/or General Manager. Easy process.

Slightly negotiable salary

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sport Chalet.

Why do you want to work here?
    What activities do you participate in?