Sports Authority Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

1.9

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

After getting through a phone interview with HR, I was selected to be interviewed in person. I was scheduled for a two and a half hour interview with 5 different people at half hour intervals. One person was out, so that cut short my interview by a half an hour.
    I made it through the first two interviews fine, and it was a lot of telling my story over and over again to different people. I did make the faux pas of not brining in my resume, but the first two candidates were okay with that since they had the soft copy in a Word document.
    Then I got to a VP who picked apart my resume and my experience. She kept repeating a lot of the same questions that I had given her answers to previously as if my original answer was not satisfactory to her. A lot of the really nit picky questions were not relevant to the job I was applying for, and the interview went downhill fast as I struggled with the pressure to come up with examples for every little thing she was asking. I felt like I was being interrogated more than interviewed since she was very intimidating in her interview style.
    In the end, I ended up being questioned about my integrity as far as what I had on my resume and walked out of the door by the VP and my interview ended before I could see the last person.
    I feel as though the situation could have been handled in a better manner by the VP and her comments towards me could have been either framed in a different manner or not discussed in front of me. I know I could have handled it better on my end by being better prepared with all of those examples so they could roll off of my tongue much easier than they did in that interview.
    Needless to say, I will not apply for another job with this company again, however, it did give me some lessons on how to better prepare for my next interview with hopefully a less difficult person.
    Also, it gave me insight into what would be a good fit for me as far as field wise and culture wise. This company is a high pressure retail environment, and it would not have been a good fit for me in the end, so it was a lesson learned on many levels.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in July 2014.

Interview

Phone screen, then completion of very cumbersome, IT dated on-line application. Safety questions included which gives you a yellow, red or green light to move to the next step.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle routinely laying warehouse employees off and then calling up to return to work. How will you address 6 hour days for hourly.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

Desperate. The company can't pay quality people. They;'re desperate for desperate people. RM was completely unprofessional and pseudo-intimidating. (Read: Tried to come off as a tough guy, however he was really just protecting his own salary).

Negotiation

Suitable.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here? Have you ever worked with an angry customer and how did you resolve the issue? Why should I hire you? They never even asked me anything about sports.

Negotiation

Asked me how much Im expecting to get paid. I asked him what was the average salary for my position and he said 8.50 so I took it.

Warehouse Lead Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

The interviews were an enjoyable experience. The company is very good about being friendly to anyone looking to work there. For the Warehouse Lead position, two interviews were had: one with the store manager and one with the district manager. An offer was made in a timely manner. They asked good questions and were responsive to question I had for them and the company in general.

Interview Questions

• "Name one time where you exceeded your expectations in a previous job and were recognized accordingly."

There's no difference between exceeding and doing in my mind, and also, if the second part of the question never happened, I'd feel the need to lie about it.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Phone call

Store Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority (Englewood, CO).

Interview

After having 5 interviews for a different position my resume was passed over to Store Operations for this position. I had 1 phone interview with the recruiter and 1 in person. It took about 3 week to receive a response.

Interview Questions

• What did you tell your current boss where you are right now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Spoke with recruiter on the phone. The hiring manager refused to discuss salary in the interview, although I did not ask.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

I applied online and received a call within 2 weeks. The most difficult part of the interview was picking any item in the store and try to "sell" it to another person participating in the group interview. I picked a sports bra because I know which ones are best for running. The managers loved that I was different and made it funny when I was "selling" it to a male interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Describe the item and features of it and sell it to your "customer" (the interviewee).   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my hours but not pay. Pay was minimum wage with commission.

Co Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

Interview process was terrible. This should have been a tip off of the horrible company culture. Went to two initial interviews, over a period of six weeks in which my phone calls were very rarely returned. It seemed as though they could not seem to make a timely decision on how to proceed, but kept stringing me along. Finally they told me I was definitely hired, then all of a sudden out of nowhere told me that the position had been filled.

They kept telling me however that I was perfect for the company and should be patient. Eventually they did contact me again and after another two months and three additional interviews, again with few phone calls returned, I was finally hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No real negotiation, just an offer.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority (Laurel, MD) in February 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with one of the managers. There is no specific hiring manager here. Asked about knowledge of sports, previous jobs, education, etc. The question that stood out the most was how did you have to lead in your previous jobs...even though I only applied as a sales associate.

Sales Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in February 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, interview with store manager, and interview with district manager