Sports Authority

121 candidate interviews

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in May 2008.

Interview Details – I was looking for a company with more advancement opportunities. This new company provided more opportunity for advancement as well as a more suitable product to my preferences and hobbies. I interviewed with three store managers as well as the district manager and was offered a job within a week of the interview.

Interview Question – What experience do you have?   Answer Question

Co-Mngr Interview

Co-Mngr
East Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sports Authority in February 2009.

Interview Details – generel interview. I was internal so it more of a checklist. Bottom line, was I got the ball rolling by sending out a few emails to my HR contact and the DM. I was careful not to use the internal company email for everyone to see. I made a point of improving dept impact before making the approach. I also realized that I was the one who made my plight known to begin with. My Gm and CO and no input until mid way. Even while I was trying to get my foot in the door of a promotion the CO (even with his stamp of approval) was attempting to get an old co-workier into the company. The company is all about office politics and some merit.

Interview Question – Whose your replacement   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none, it was all on the HR and DM. I had no say

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager
Sarasota, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in November 2008.

Interview Details – Initial interview was by phone. Had a 1:1 interview with manager & a 1:1 interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – It depends   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Based Interview

Project Based
Englewood, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in May 2009.

Interview Details – Flew in from out of state to interview on a new project, so I felt pretty confident they were excited about my skills. But as I began the interview process, it became very apparent that they did not yet have an idea of what they wanted to do or where they wanted to go. Interviewers did not seem very prepared to question me about my skillset. It unfortunately seemed to be a complete waste of time.

Interview Question – What sort of experience do you have with Merchandising systems?   Answer Question

Regional Manager Interview

Regional Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sports Authority in June 2009.

Interview Details – One interview with HR dept. One interview with hiring manager. Typical questions.

Interview Question – What do you like about sporting goods?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. It was there offer or nothing else.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in March 2010.

Interview Details – It was not a long interview. No personality test. They had me fill out a skill quiestionaire online. I thought it was not as painful as other interviews I have had.

Interview Question – There were no real difficult questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in September 2008.

Interview Details – Dress like you want the job not flip flops or shorts. Be ready to show your selling skills because the offer extended coverage plans and ask you to sell on on something you have on you like a phone or the computer just to show you read the booklet and show your try

Interview Question – Look over this ECP brochure and sell my and ECP   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negatiation...you take what they offer to pay you

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was quite short. I was asked general questions about previous employment, why i wanted to work here, why I felt I was best for the job, etc. The manager looked over my resume and asked me to explain any gaps in employment. Other questions included How much salary are you expecting?
What are your strengths/weaknesses? Why should we hire you? What would previous supervisor say about you?

Interview Questions

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in May 2008.

Interview Details – I had one interview. It was very unprofessional. There were others the manager was interviewing and few were chosen. We had one day of filling out paperwork and then I was asked to close that night without any training. Was not informed how to use the page system, make phone calls or answer them. No product knowledge was given and I had to learn on my own. There is an online training that I did a few days later that my manager told me how to cheat so that I didnt have to waste payroll time so I can get back on the floor.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. Take it or leave it.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in March 2010.

Interview Details – I already worked with the company and Sports Authority sent a letter in the mail letting me know they were interested in interviewing me and others for oppurtunities to move up. The interview process included having to write an essay on a list of options: What leadership means to me, What do I see myself doing in the next 5 years, What is my greatest accomplishment, and there were a few other options as well. Before the interview I was also given a senario and describe how i would handle the stituation. Once the interview began each of the four interviewers would ask questions about sales management, my accomplishments with the company follow-up questions to the senario that was laid out before the interview. Talked about dealing with associates that aren't meeting expectations.

Negotiation Details – I was given a couple of choices as far as positions they were looking at me to fill. Wish there was more of a training program for the postion I was put in. There wasn't much of a negotiation when it came to the pay.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!