Sports Authority Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

I filled out application online and within 2 weeks I was called in for the easiest interview of my life. Keep In mind I have had 5 jobs before. They only asked a few questions such as my prior work history and why would I be a good fit to the company. One week after that I was hired. Sports authority does hire felons! I have multiple felony convictions and I was still hired.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

i applied online.
    i visited the store the next day.
    i wanted to know if there was an extra step i could do in order to get noticed.
    they said yes! an associate gave me a piece of paper to write my name:___ phone #:_____ & last 4 digits of my social so that the manager can access my application.
    the associate told me i'll get a call in a few days..
    a week passed and no call.
    so i went again and i was lucky enough to talk to the manager. i introduced myself and he knew who i was..he had reviewed my application and he was about to contact me for an interview!
    he asked me if it was okay if i did an interview right now..
    i said of course! the only issue is that i'm not professionally dressed for an interview, i apologize.
    he said not to worry about it, it was unexpected.
    his assistant interviewed me. it was sooo easy.
    she asked me my availability and where have i worked before? and if i would be good at signing customers up for the rewards card. i said yes! she said she will discuss it with the manager and they will call me back. i left the store and 10min later i got the call and they offered me a job!

Visual Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority (Englewood, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

30 minutes of "get to know you" and experience related dialogue. Met with 2 individuals and had an easy conversation regarding my previous employment, areas of expertise, and personal background. All the people I met from the front desks, through the interview were very kind and seem happy. It was mutually decided that this was not the right position for me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the Sports Authority? Why are you the right person for the position? Where would you like to be in 5 years?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

After getting through a phone interview with HR, I was selected to be interviewed in person. I was scheduled for a two and a half hour interview with 5 different people at half hour intervals. One person was out, so that cut short my interview by a half an hour.
    I made it through the first two interviews fine, and it was a lot of telling my story over and over again to different people. I did make the faux pas of not brining in my resume, but the first two candidates were okay with that since they had the soft copy in a Word document.
    Then I got to a VP who picked apart my resume and my experience. She kept repeating a lot of the same questions that I had given her answers to previously as if my original answer was not satisfactory to her. A lot of the really nit picky questions were not relevant to the job I was applying for, and the interview went downhill fast as I struggled with the pressure to come up with examples for every little thing she was asking. I felt like I was being interrogated more than interviewed since she was very intimidating in her interview style.
    In the end, I ended up being questioned about my integrity as far as what I had on my resume and walked out of the door by the VP and my interview ended before I could see the last person.
    I feel as though the situation could have been handled in a better manner by the VP and her comments towards me could have been either framed in a different manner or not discussed in front of me. I know I could have handled it better on my end by being better prepared with all of those examples so they could roll off of my tongue much easier than they did in that interview.
    Needless to say, I will not apply for another job with this company again, however, it did give me some lessons on how to better prepare for my next interview with hopefully a less difficult person.
    Also, it gave me insight into what would be a good fit for me as far as field wise and culture wise. This company is a high pressure retail environment, and it would not have been a good fit for me in the end, so it was a lesson learned on many levels.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here? Have you ever worked with an angry customer and how did you resolve the issue? Why should I hire you? They never even asked me anything about sports.

Negotiation

Asked me how much Im expecting to get paid. I asked him what was the average salary for my position and he said 8.50 so I took it.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

Desperate. The company can't pay quality people. They;'re desperate for desperate people. RM was completely unprofessional and pseudo-intimidating. (Read: Tried to come off as a tough guy, however he was really just protecting his own salary).

Negotiation

Suitable.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, NH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority (Amherst, NH).

Interview

First, you have to apply online. The hiring manager reviews new applications every week or so, depending on if there is a need to fill positions, sometimes daily if there is a particularly urgent need. They look for applicants with prior customer service experience first, just because it generally means less training. They also take into consideration how many jobs the person has held over a certain period of time, since it can hint at a potential problem if there were many in a short period of time.

During the interview, the hiring manager (typically the operations manager) has a packet of questions corporate requires them to ask the applicants, and record/comment on the responses. This packet gets inserted into the individual's personnel file should they get hired. The questions consist of things such as general opinion questions as well as scenario questions. The scenario questions are what most managers focus on, because they show how an employee would act and handle themselves in certain situations. Basically, what it comes down to is if you have common sense and know how to politely and appropriately respond to irate or unruly customers, then you're golden.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where you suspect a customer of stealing, but have no proof?   1 Answer

Warehouse Lead Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

The interviews were an enjoyable experience. The company is very good about being friendly to anyone looking to work there. For the Warehouse Lead position, two interviews were had: one with the store manager and one with the district manager. An offer was made in a timely manner. They asked good questions and were responsive to question I had for them and the company in general.

Interview Questions

• "Name one time where you exceeded your expectations in a previous job and were recognized accordingly."

There's no difference between exceeding and doing in my mind, and also, if the second part of the question never happened, I'd feel the need to lie about it.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Phone call

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

One interview lasting about 15 minutes. This took place instore with the department manager i would work under. There were a few questions but nothing too wild. I was called in for the interview because i was able to provide a level of expertise that no one else in the store had.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond to solve a problem at a previous job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sports Authority (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

very easy interview. They'll just ask what sport or department you feel most comfortable working in. I choose footwear because certain shoes you sale you can get commission for.

Interview Questions

• whats your favorite sport? Not hard at all   1 Answer