Sports Authority Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

I applied being a college student in need of a job during the Fall semester. I got a call about a month later asking about an interview. I wore a dress shirt and tie. I asked alot of questions which made me seem interested. Laid back interview process.

Interview Questions
    • What previous customer service experience do you have? Tell me about your last boss? Did you have a review process at your last job?   View Answer
    They offered 8.00 an hour and I accepted. Much better then my last job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority in September 2013.

Typical interview, nice people

Sales Authority Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in September 2013.

The interview was a joke. I was asked very few questions, and they seemed desperate for employees. The whole process was extremely unorganized. Aside from that i could tell immediately that the management team was unprofessional due to the lack of interest in the process and type of questions i was asked.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority.

3 interviews.

Softlines Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in July 2013.

I really liked the way the whole processes was set up. I applied for the position, then was sent an invitation by email to their hiring event. The interview was scheduled and I arrived promptly on time. The process was orderly and well planned. My interviewer read his questions from a script, which I did not mind at all. The questions were standard questions with no big surprises.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any of the questions difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Loyalty Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sports Authority.

I was contacted by a recruiter via email as he had seem my resume posted. He scheduled time to do a phone interview wtih me. The interview went great and the recruiter was very excited for me to talk to the hiring manager. He said he would get back with me as to when the interview would be. Then I heard nothing. And nothing some more. And then nothing more. Eventually, he emailed me that he had been out of the office and had to try to schedule something. So I waited longer. And longer. I still have yet to hear if I will be having an interview, but given the few months that it has been, my assumption is that I did not receive the chance to interview further.

Interview Questions
    • They were all straight forward and generic interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in June 2013.

Since I had already worked in retail, my interview was basically to describe my experiences with customer service. They look for things like leadership, competitive nature, self-set goals, resilience, etc. They also want you to ask MANY questions

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Applied online and a month later received a call. Had a small phone interview and asked questions which took about 10 min. Then i was scheduled to go into the store for an interview 2 days later. Basic interview questions, asked my availability and was hired on the spot as seasonal but decided to keep me after.

Interview Questions
    • Why choose sports authority?
      Describe good customer service.
      How would you approach a customer.
        Answer Question
    Asked for 25 cents over minimum wage. Overall received $9. First job so I didn't ask for much.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

I have over 20 years of retail leadership experience. I was called in to interview with a Store Manager and the District Manager. They asked me to talk through my past experience, and that was all that I was asked during the interview. From there they spent the next 30 minuets selling the company to me. You could tell that neither one had ever had any formal experience in interviewing so this made it fairly simple for me to control the interview. It ended with the District manager asking me if I would be interested in interviewing with HR, to which I agreed.

The second interview wasn't too much more challenging. We had to delay the interview because the HR manager was on the phone. I was sitting just outside her door, and hear her talking on a personal call where she was saying that she would be home a little late because she was getting a pedicure, so it would be close to 4 before she was there. My thought there was that HR was the job to have if getting home at 4pm was late?! When I met with her and the DM again (22 minuets later than scheduled), the questions were basic interview questions. She attempted to try a few behavioral based questions, but interrupted and interjected in to my answers as though she was completing my answers.

Interview Questions
    • The only question that was remotely challenging was why would I want to take a position that was below my experience level?   View Answer
    I turned down the first salary offer and explained that I would love to join their team, however, my family had received another offer that better suited us financialy. They asked the offer, and matched it a few hours later.

Co Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview process was terrible. This should have been a tip off of the horrible company culture. Went to two initial interviews, over a period of six weeks in which my phone calls were very rarely returned. It seemed as though they could not seem to make a timely decision on how to proceed, but kept stringing me along. Finally they told me I was definitely hired, then all of a sudden out of nowhere told me that the position had been filled.

They kept telling me however that I was perfect for the company and should be patient. Eventually they did contact me again and after another two months and three additional interviews, again with few phone calls returned, I was finally hired.

Interview Questions
    No real negotiation, just an offer.