Sports Authority

123 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview Details – Applied online and a month later received a call. Had a small phone interview and asked questions which took about 10 min. Then i was scheduled to go into the store for an interview 2 days later. Basic interview questions, asked my availability and was hired on the spot as seasonal but decided to keep me after.

Interview Question – Why choose sports authority?
Describe good customer service.
How would you approach a customer.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for 25 cents over minimum wage. Overall received $9. First job so I didn't ask for much.

Corporate Merchandising Training Program Interview

Corporate Merchandising Training Program
Fort Collins, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in March 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty basic. A couple questions about who I am and why I am qualified for this position. Interviewer was dressed laid back and approached the interview the same way. I felt more at ease which allowed my personality to flow through and I guess they liked it.

Interview Question – When you have a bunch of projects all at once how do you make sure you get them done on time?   View Answer

Shoe Associate Interview

Shoe Associate
Aventura, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in October 2012.

Interview Details – Received a phone call to come in for an interview. There was 8 other people in line for an interview. When it was my turn to walk inside I sat down and talked a little about the store to start things off. He asked me about my experience in a couple departments. Then He asked about my Favorited sport and why. Never got the "sell me a pen" interview It was pretty easy I think the point was to find a team member to join their family of a store.

He was definitely watching my every move but I took that as a compliment. He wanted to know if I had any questions. I'd say make sure you come prepared with questions. Since I've worked there before I asked If I would be able to take tests on other departments so I can fill in those spots when they need help. He seemed to like that a lot.

Interview Question – If we put you into the golf department name me an item that would be popular to sell.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I would have gotten the job but It was my failure to answer their phone call. I just kept getting called back at the worst times. All around 9pm.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview Details – I have over 20 years of retail leadership experience. I was called in to interview with a Store Manager and the District Manager. They asked me to talk through my past experience, and that was all that I was asked during the interview. From there they spent the next 30 minuets selling the company to me. You could tell that neither one had ever had any formal experience in interviewing so this made it fairly simple for me to control the interview. It ended with the District manager asking me if I would be interested in interviewing with HR, to which I agreed.

The second interview wasn't too much more challenging. We had to delay the interview because the HR manager was on the phone. I was sitting just outside her door, and hear her talking on a personal call where she was saying that she would be home a little late because she was getting a pedicure, so it would be close to 4 before she was there. My thought there was that HR was the job to have if getting home at 4pm was late?! When I met with her and the DM again (22 minuets later than scheduled), the questions were basic interview questions. She attempted to try a few behavioral based questions, but interrupted and interjected in to my answers as though she was completing my answers.

Interview Question – The only question that was remotely challenging was why would I want to take a position that was below my experience level?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I turned down the first salary offer and explained that I would love to join their team, however, my family had received another offer that better suited us financialy. They asked the offer, and matched it a few hours later.

Co Manager Interview

Co Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview Details – Interview process was terrible. This should have been a tip off of the horrible company culture. Went to two initial interviews, over a period of six weeks in which my phone calls were very rarely returned. It seemed as though they could not seem to make a timely decision on how to proceed, but kept stringing me along. Finally they told me I was definitely hired, then all of a sudden out of nowhere told me that the position had been filled.

They kept telling me however that I was perfect for the company and should be patient. Eventually they did contact me again and after another two months and three additional interviews, again with few phone calls returned, I was finally hired.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation, just an offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Tacoma, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in September 2009.

Interview Details – I applied the first time in person and called about a week and a half later. The manager told me to re-apply on their online website because my application some how got lost. I re-applied online and was called back for an interview. I met with the store manager and he gave me a fairly quick and easy interview. He asked if I had prior retail experience and how free my schedule was for shifts.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation since I hadn't had any retail experience before. I was offered minimum wage and I accepted.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Visual Merchandiser

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sports Authority in January 2012.

Interview Details – Basic Questions - One on One with the Store Manager & then an interview with the District Manager. They were all sales related questions.

What do you know about the company?
What products do we sell?
How would you approach a customer?
Are you a team player?
Why would you be an asset to Sports Authority?

Interview Question – What do you know about the company? Tell us the products that we sell   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked me what I wanted to get paid, I was offered what I asked for.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Englewood, CO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sports Authority in December 2012.

Interview Details – A third party recruiter set my interview up. I met with three people, one of them being a director in the department. The interview took about an hour, they asked basic interview questions and went over my experience. I showed several pieces of my portfolio and they asked questions about my work. Other than that pretty straight forward. Everyone was really nice.

Three and a half weeks later I was asked to do a simple skills test to demonstrate that I had the knowledge to perform within the position. Shortly after I was offered the position.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since I knew the terms of the contract they had already decided through the recruiting company..

Softlines Team Lead Interview

Softlines Team Lead

Interviewed at Sports Authority

Interview Details – A joke, never once asked be anything legit just talked about our lives. Very quick process took 3 days and no drug test involved. Pretty unprofessional manager was dressed sloppy and out of shape, not who I would expect to work for a sporting goods retailer.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Visual Merchandiser
Tulsa, OK

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in September 2012.

Interview Details – It was short and simple. Why do you want to work here? have you worked in clothes? do you know anything about sports?

Interview Question – N/a   Answer Question