Sports Authority

1.9

Training/Ops Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Applied on S.A. Elite website. Was contacted by store manager 2 weeks later as a position became available. Set up an in - person interview at the location. Interview was a one - on one process with the store manager. It was very candid but, professional. Manager didn't ask me any "What if..." or "How would you act in this situation" type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straight forward interview. Talked about my accomplishments and what I wanted out of the job. Talked about what I expected from S.A. that wasn't accomplished at my other positions. Talked about the company's direction and expectations.   Answer Question

Sales Associate At Sports Authority Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holyoke, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holyoke, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority in November 2012.

Applied for position online. Three days later, got an call for an interview to speak to hiring manager. (1-1) interview. Conducted off sales floor in backroom. Questions easy. interview very informal and extrememly short. Company hires seasonal, part-time and full-time the hiring manager explained.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any experience selling golf equipment? How are you money handling skills? Do you need timeoff in the next three months?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, mimimum wage, raises are given based on meret based pay how long you've been with company. Very fair. It would be helpful to know someone that works there or a good reference to tell good things about you as an employeee. Company wants good workers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in November 2012.

Applied online, got a call to come in. Had a group interview with 5 other people. Manager asked same questions to all of us.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, why do you want to work here? What do you do in your free time? in 3 words how would you describe yourself?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Shoe Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sports Authority in October 2012.

Received a phone call to come in for an interview. There was 8 other people in line for an interview. When it was my turn to walk inside I sat down and talked a little about the store to start things off. He asked me about my experience in a couple departments. Then He asked about my Favorited sport and why. Never got the "sell me a pen" interview It was pretty easy I think the point was to find a team member to join their family of a store.

He was definitely watching my every move but I took that as a compliment. He wanted to know if I had any questions. I'd say make sure you come prepared with questions. Since I've worked there before I asked If I would be able to take tests on other departments so I can fill in those spots when they need help. He seemed to like that a lot.

Interview Questions
    • If we put you into the golf department name me an item that would be popular to sell.   Answer Question

I would have gotten the job but It was my failure to answer their phone call. I just kept getting called back at the worst times. All around 9pm.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sports Authority in September 2012.

It was short and simple. Why do you want to work here? have you worked in clothes? do you know anything about sports?

Senior Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

The Co-Store manager who interviewed me liked me right of the start. At the time the store was in search of Footwear associates and I happen to have a lot of knowledge in the subject.

Interview Questions
    • When the manager asked me to sell him a pen from the office we were holding the interview in.   Answer Question

Footware Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority in September 2012.

After submitting a resume, i received a call for an interview. The interview is short and usually a job is offered without much hassle, takes about 20 minutes. Need to pass a drug test after.

Interview Questions
    • Just questions based upon knowledge of a certain department they would like to put you   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority in August 2012.

In my initial interview, my hiring manager only asked the basics (availability, expected pay, experience). He asked "are you sure you want to work here?" with a surprised look, implicating my experience/personal qualifications overqualified me for the position. This immediately led me to believe that I would not be working in a very "professional" atmosphere (I don't believe my qualifications are all that great to begin with).

Interview Questions
    • "What kind of shoe would sell someone who suppinates?" I had never sold shoes before, so naturally I was at a loss for words.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. When I asked what pay I would be receiving he said he "could not really tell me until my background check went through" which made no sense to me but I was desperate for a job and was going to take it regardless. I was however, led to believe I would be making at least $.25 to $.50 more than I actually started with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in July 2012.

Called the day after I applied to set up and interview. When I went in I first met with the area supervisor of the position I was applying for, then I interviewed with the store manager (same day). After the interviews I was required to take a drug test that same day. Once my drug test came back clear I was told I got the job and I needed to fill out some paperwork. I went in exactly when they told me, and I was turned away because "the system was down" (I do wish the had called me to let me know this). A few days later I went back in and completed my paperwork. Shortly after that I started work.

Interview Questions
    • How would you suggest additional merchandise to a customer? (this was tough for me because I had never worked retail before)   Answer Question

Senior Sales Authority Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority in June 2012.

Not too bad of an interview process. Had a bunch of different higher ups in a room sitting at desks. Was a one on one interview each but in a room full of people. Liked the interview. Asked a lot of questions about sports knowledge, appropriately. Great interview. Seemed like a lot of upbeat people.