Sports Authority Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

1.9

Operations Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority (Warwick, RI) in April 2014.

Interview

If I did not follow-up every day since I put in my application, I would not have heard back from them. You have to be consistent, and make sure to let them know what you can bring to the table. If you want to make more than 35K, don't bother applying for this job. My Interview was easy, but my former manager had no clue on what to ask and what not to ask. If i wouldn't have gotten hired, It would have been a law-suit.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to start?   1 Answer

Co Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

Talked with an SM at a location. He asked what position I was interested in. He asked why I wanted to work for the company, if I was currently working and why I left my last position. He then asked if I had questions. I asked alot of questions about the responsiblities of the position and related it to my background to give assurance. He then said that if they were interested that I would get a call in a month and that they were just seeing what was out there. He was professional.Two days later, I received a call from another MGR and went to a second interview. The SM spoke on and on about her personal life ( past injuries and family medical issues) for about an hour. I felt like a counselor. I then come to find out that she was interviewing for hourly team lead positions where I would need to relocate since the new store was extremely far away from where I live. I drove 49 miles one way for this interview where I thought I was interviewing for a salary position.She asked me: would I socialize outside of work with coworkers, about why I left a job where I had worked 10 years ago, and about what the 1st screener spoke about. Most of my time was listening to her rattle off her to do list for the new store that she was taking over and personal issues that were inappropriate for an interview.She came across as extremely anxious, overwhelmed with her work and apologized for having OCD.

Interview Questions

• Would I socialize with coworkers outside of work? She mentioned that people at her store play some sports together but they don't invite everyone????   Answer Question

Store Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

very easy answered basic retail questions. if you worked as a member of a retail store management team in the past its a piece of cake. first call from field hr for a simple phone interview. then a half hour in person with hr and district manager. about 2 days later recieved offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Saw an ad online and applied. Within the week, got a call and set up an interview. Interview pretty basic, didn't ask anything too difficult, or anything at all really besides: "Do you have any questions for me?" Was told I'd hear from them. Got an offer a few days later.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority (Denver, CO) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online, a week later the store manager called and asked if I could interview. Went in the next day, seemed like a normal interview (nothing you wouldn't expect). Then two weeks later I was offered the position over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you over the guy I'm interviewing directly after ypu .   Answer Question

Sales Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority (Orlando, FL) in February 2014.

Interview

Did phone interview and was asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview......Spent about 35 minutes discussing past work experiences and sale objectives.

Not enough Money

Senior Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in January 2014.

Interview

The hiring process is started through the online database. It is pretty standard work history and experience questionaire. The best thing is to call the store a day or two after this is submitted. Next they will schedule an interview. They want to see that you have retail experience or sales experience. If you don't have these abilities they want to see that you will be able to work well in this environment and will likely do some role playing scenarios. I was asked to pitch an Extended Coverage Plan to a "customer" for a bicycle and to close the sale to the best of my ability. It helps to know these products in advance.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a customer and sell them an Extended Coverage Plan?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiations expect for availability and hours.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority (Miami, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

Questions were sales focused and direct Both group interviews and one-on-one interviews depending on manager hiring Looking for specific traits in potential employees in regards to selling Assertive and convincing sellers chosen in groups Also searching for candidates passionate about products If you know about sports merchandise tell how you would sell to friends and family etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a customer to add on insoles from the register?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority (Nashua, NH) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online, received a call a few days later. Interview was set up with the Sales Mgr then with the Supervisor of cashiers. Sales Mgr was all excited about my experience, pretty much told me I had the job (cashier, with the money I wanted) then went to get the Supervisor to interview me and she was too busy. Was told that she would contact me in a day or so and have heard nothing. Figured what I wanted for money was more than the Supervisor wanted to pay for a cashier. Not happy about the whole experience since the Supervisor was the person who set the interview up.

Seasonal Customer Care Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority (Ontario, CA).

Interview

I applied online and got a call by the end of the week asking me on an interview the following Friday in the morning. I asked if I needed a copy of my resume and they said no. I prepare for the week by checking this website alongside Forbes and about.com. I wasn't informed that it would be a group interview until I arrived. There was about 15 of us. We interviewed with the sales and casher managers. They asked each of us to tell them about ourselves, and the rest of the questions were answer if you want to. Out of the 15, only four weren't hired. They weren't outspoken or dressed well. They told us on the spot for the rest of us that we were hired and that some of us could become permanent, if we performed well.

Interview Questions

• None were questions that were unexpected. They asked us "What is retail", "What would you do if you had a lot of customers all at once", and "What other department would you feel comfortable working in"   Answer Question

Negotiation

None