Sports Authority

1.9

Shoe Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sports Authority in October 2012.

Received a phone call to come in for an interview. There was 8 other people in line for an interview. When it was my turn to walk inside I sat down and talked a little about the store to start things off. He asked me about my experience in a couple departments. Then He asked about my Favorited sport and why. Never got the "sell me a pen" interview It was pretty easy I think the point was to find a team member to join their family of a store.

He was definitely watching my every move but I took that as a compliment. He wanted to know if I had any questions. I'd say make sure you come prepared with questions. Since I've worked there before I asked If I would be able to take tests on other departments so I can fill in those spots when they need help. He seemed to like that a lot.

Interview Questions
    • If we put you into the golf department name me an item that would be popular to sell.   Answer Question

I would have gotten the job but It was my failure to answer their phone call. I just kept getting called back at the worst times. All around 9pm.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sports Authority in September 2012.

It was short and simple. Why do you want to work here? have you worked in clothes? do you know anything about sports?

Senior Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

The Co-Store manager who interviewed me liked me right of the start. At the time the store was in search of Footwear associates and I happen to have a lot of knowledge in the subject.

Interview Questions
    • When the manager asked me to sell him a pen from the office we were holding the interview in.   Answer Question

Footware Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority in September 2012.

After submitting a resume, i received a call for an interview. The interview is short and usually a job is offered without much hassle, takes about 20 minutes. Need to pass a drug test after.

Interview Questions
    • Just questions based upon knowledge of a certain department they would like to put you   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority in August 2012.

In my initial interview, my hiring manager only asked the basics (availability, expected pay, experience). He asked "are you sure you want to work here?" with a surprised look, implicating my experience/personal qualifications overqualified me for the position. This immediately led me to believe that I would not be working in a very "professional" atmosphere (I don't believe my qualifications are all that great to begin with).

Interview Questions
    • "What kind of shoe would sell someone who suppinates?" I had never sold shoes before, so naturally I was at a loss for words.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. When I asked what pay I would be receiving he said he "could not really tell me until my background check went through" which made no sense to me but I was desperate for a job and was going to take it regardless. I was however, led to believe I would be making at least $.25 to $.50 more than I actually started with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in July 2012.

Called the day after I applied to set up and interview. When I went in I first met with the area supervisor of the position I was applying for, then I interviewed with the store manager (same day). After the interviews I was required to take a drug test that same day. Once my drug test came back clear I was told I got the job and I needed to fill out some paperwork. I went in exactly when they told me, and I was turned away because "the system was down" (I do wish the had called me to let me know this). A few days later I went back in and completed my paperwork. Shortly after that I started work.

Interview Questions
    • How would you suggest additional merchandise to a customer? (this was tough for me because I had never worked retail before)   Answer Question

Senior Sales Authority Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority in June 2012.

Not too bad of an interview process. Had a bunch of different higher ups in a room sitting at desks. Was a one on one interview each but in a room full of people. Liked the interview. Asked a lot of questions about sports knowledge, appropriately. Great interview. Seemed like a lot of upbeat people.

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodside, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodside, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in June 2012.

Got a voicemail a week after I applied online. Very hard to get in touch with the general manager again. Interview a week later. Very focused questions and interested in education. Unspecific about hours. Started me at a slightly higher wage because of past experience, $8.25 an hour. I had to describe excellent customer service and speak about a time I dealt with a unsatisfied customer.

Interview Questions

They hired 8 other people at the same time as me, so I knew that they have high turnover and few hours for each person.

Lead Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in June 2012.

The interview process was very amateur, he kept telling me they are looking for people who were nice and smile and would treat customers well and as many times as I said yes, he kept repeating it like I was deaf. Very frustrating to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think your personality is like.   View Answer
    pretty poor. He simply wrote on a piece of paper that i could see and handed it to me instead of just telling me. We were in an office by ourselves and he couldnt even tell me the number just kept handing me paper with the amount on it and i could clearly see.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

I filled out an interview online the manger called within 2 days to set up an interview. The interview was very easy, and nothing to complain about. It is held in the manager’s office. There is nothing out of the ordinary in the interview. As with any interview come dressed nicely, show up on time, and know a little bit about the company. Just be who you are and you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't really any unexpected questions just they typical interview questions that can be found on glassdoor, monster, etc. It always help to know about any company before going in. Just the basics and you will be fine.   Answer Question
    I did not negioate pay, though I should've.