Sports Authority Interview Questions

1.9

Shoe Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aventura, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in October 2012.

Received a phone call to come in for an interview. There was 8 other people in line for an interview. When it was my turn to walk inside I sat down and talked a little about the store to start things off. He asked me about my experience in a couple departments. Then He asked about my Favorited sport and why. Never got the "sell me a pen" interview It was pretty easy I think the point was to find a team member to join their family of a store.

He was definitely watching my every move but I took that as a compliment. He wanted to know if I had any questions. I'd say make sure you come prepared with questions. Since I've worked there before I asked If I would be able to take tests on other departments so I can fill in those spots when they need help. He seemed to like that a lot.

Interview Questions
    • If we put you into the golf department name me an item that would be popular to sell.   Answer Question

I would have gotten the job but It was my failure to answer their phone call. I just kept getting called back at the worst times. All around 9pm.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sports Authority.

I have over 20 years of retail leadership experience. I was called in to interview with a Store Manager and the District Manager. They asked me to talk through my past experience, and that was all that I was asked during the interview. From there they spent the next 30 minuets selling the company to me. You could tell that neither one had ever had any formal experience in interviewing so this made it fairly simple for me to control the interview. It ended with the District manager asking me if I would be interested in interviewing with HR, to which I agreed.

The second interview wasn't too much more challenging. We had to delay the interview because the HR manager was on the phone. I was sitting just outside her door, and hear her talking on a personal call where she was saying that she would be home a little late because she was getting a pedicure, so it would be close to 4 before she was there. My thought there was that HR was the job to have if getting home at 4pm was late?! When I met with her and the DM again (22 minuets later than scheduled), the questions were basic interview questions. She attempted to try a few behavioral based questions, but interrupted and interjected in to my answers as though she was completing my answers.

Interview Questions
    • The only question that was remotely challenging was why would I want to take a position that was below my experience level?   View Answer
    I turned down the first salary offer and explained that I would love to join their team, however, my family had received another offer that better suited us financialy. They asked the offer, and matched it a few hours later.

Co Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview process was terrible. This should have been a tip off of the horrible company culture. Went to two initial interviews, over a period of six weeks in which my phone calls were very rarely returned. It seemed as though they could not seem to make a timely decision on how to proceed, but kept stringing me along. Finally they told me I was definitely hired, then all of a sudden out of nowhere told me that the position had been filled.

They kept telling me however that I was perfect for the company and should be patient. Eventually they did contact me again and after another two months and three additional interviews, again with few phone calls returned, I was finally hired.

Interview Questions
    No real negotiation, just an offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tacoma, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in September 2009.

I applied the first time in person and called about a week and a half later. The manager told me to re-apply on their online website because my application some how got lost. I re-applied online and was called back for an interview. I met with the store manager and he gave me a fairly quick and easy interview. He asked if I had prior retail experience and how free my schedule was for shifts.

There was no negotiation since I hadn't had any retail experience before. I was offered minimum wage and I accepted.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sports Authority in January 2012.

Basic Questions - One on One with the Store Manager & then an interview with the District Manager. They were all sales related questions.

What do you know about the company?
    What products do we sell?
    How would you approach a customer?
    Are you a team player?
    Why would you be an asset to Sports Authority?

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company? Tell us the products that we sell   View Answer
    They asked me what I wanted to get paid, I was offered what I asked for.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sports Authority in December 2012.

A third party recruiter set my interview up. I met with three people, one of them being a director in the department. The interview took about an hour, they asked basic interview questions and went over my experience. I showed several pieces of my portfolio and they asked questions about my work. Other than that pretty straight forward. Everyone was really nice.

Three and a half weeks later I was asked to do a simple skills test to demonstrate that I had the knowledge to perform within the position. Shortly after I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation since I knew the terms of the contract they had already decided through the recruiting company..

Softlines Team Lead Interview

A joke, never once asked be anything legit just talked about our lives. Very quick process took 3 days and no drug test involved. Pretty unprofessional manager was dressed sloppy and out of shape, not who I would expect to work for a sporting goods retailer.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in September 2012.

It was short and simple. Why do you want to work here? have you worked in clothes? do you know anything about sports?

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in November 2012.

Applied online, got a call to come in. Had a group interview with 5 other people. Manager asked same questions to all of us.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, why do you want to work here? What do you do in your free time? in 3 words how would you describe yourself?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Team Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sports Authority.

Overall easy interview. I was asked about my former work experiences that made me qualified for my new position. They have a default list of questions for all hires. I did most of the hiring in our store. None of the questions are over the top.

Interview Questions
    • No real tough questions, maybe a few scenario questions. Easy job to get and keep.   Answer Question
    They told me over phone I had the job and then told me what they would pay me. It was an acceptable amount so I took it. One thing about this company they don't negotiate much, so don't expect to get more than they say. Every salary needs to be approved by the district manager.