Sports Authority Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

1.9

Footware Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority in September 2012.

After submitting a resume, i received a call for an interview. The interview is short and usually a job is offered without much hassle, takes about 20 minutes. Need to pass a drug test after.

Interview Questions
    • Just questions based upon knowledge of a certain department they would like to put you   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority in August 2012.

In my initial interview, my hiring manager only asked the basics (availability, expected pay, experience). He asked "are you sure you want to work here?" with a surprised look, implicating my experience/personal qualifications overqualified me for the position. This immediately led me to believe that I would not be working in a very "professional" atmosphere (I don't believe my qualifications are all that great to begin with).

Interview Questions
    • "What kind of shoe would sell someone who suppinates?" I had never sold shoes before, so naturally I was at a loss for words.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. When I asked what pay I would be receiving he said he "could not really tell me until my background check went through" which made no sense to me but I was desperate for a job and was going to take it regardless. I was however, led to believe I would be making at least $.25 to $.50 more than I actually started with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in July 2012.

Called the day after I applied to set up and interview. When I went in I first met with the area supervisor of the position I was applying for, then I interviewed with the store manager (same day). After the interviews I was required to take a drug test that same day. Once my drug test came back clear I was told I got the job and I needed to fill out some paperwork. I went in exactly when they told me, and I was turned away because "the system was down" (I do wish the had called me to let me know this). A few days later I went back in and completed my paperwork. Shortly after that I started work.

Interview Questions
    • How would you suggest additional merchandise to a customer? (this was tough for me because I had never worked retail before)   Answer Question

Senior Sales Authority Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority in June 2012.

Not too bad of an interview process. Had a bunch of different higher ups in a room sitting at desks. Was a one on one interview each but in a room full of people. Liked the interview. Asked a lot of questions about sports knowledge, appropriately. Great interview. Seemed like a lot of upbeat people.

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodside, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodside, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in June 2012.

Got a voicemail a week after I applied online. Very hard to get in touch with the general manager again. Interview a week later. Very focused questions and interested in education. Unspecific about hours. Started me at a slightly higher wage because of past experience, $8.25 an hour. I had to describe excellent customer service and speak about a time I dealt with a unsatisfied customer.

Interview Questions

They hired 8 other people at the same time as me, so I knew that they have high turnover and few hours for each person.

Lead Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in June 2012.

The interview process was very amateur, he kept telling me they are looking for people who were nice and smile and would treat customers well and as many times as I said yes, he kept repeating it like I was deaf. Very frustrating to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think your personality is like.   View Answer
    pretty poor. He simply wrote on a piece of paper that i could see and handed it to me instead of just telling me. We were in an office by ourselves and he couldnt even tell me the number just kept handing me paper with the amount on it and i could clearly see.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

I filled out an interview online the manger called within 2 days to set up an interview. The interview was very easy, and nothing to complain about. It is held in the manager’s office. There is nothing out of the ordinary in the interview. As with any interview come dressed nicely, show up on time, and know a little bit about the company. Just be who you are and you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't really any unexpected questions just they typical interview questions that can be found on glassdoor, monster, etc. It always help to know about any company before going in. Just the basics and you will be fine.   Answer Question
    I did not negioate pay, though I should've.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

I did the application via internet on their website under careers. At first you choose what jobs you want to apply for and where then you fill out basic information name, phone number, previous work experience, etc. After that you fill out if you have been convicted of a crime etc. After that information is all finished you take a personality test, I think they call it, and then wait for a phone call. They called while I was away at school and asked for an interview that week but I told them I could not come home because I was in Iowa. They were completely fine with that and told me to call back a week before I would be coming home. I called at that time and scheduled an interview at the store. I went to the store and was asked about my previous work experience, why I wanted to work there, and what made me fit for the job. The manager told me to come the next day and to bring my id, social security etc. I then came the next day with those things and went to take a drug test after.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions asked that were out of the ordinary.   Answer Question
    It was a part time job seasonal and they offered me 25 cents over minimum wage so I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyannis, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyannis, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

Went onto the Site and filled out an application, a few days later I got call asking for me to come in for a interview. I sat down with the manger and we talked about my resume and a little about the store. She asked me one question. After it was all done she told me she would send in all the information to corporate. If it came back ok (background check) she would call me on Monday. She did and asked me which date would be best to come in for training and orientation.

Interview Questions
    • If I called your last employer what would they tell me about you?   View Answer
    Didn't really negotiate. She asked what I would like for pay. I said 8.50+. When she called me on that Monday she said starting pay would be $9 an hr

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in March 2012.

Submitted application online to three different stores. Got a call from one of them to come in for an interview. Came in, met with the store manager. Interviewed with him, received a tour of the store, and was told I seemed like a good fit and would receive a call in a few days.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer describes a situation such as a disagreement with a customer.   View Answer