Sports Authority

Updated Nov 3, 2014

1.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

I did the application via internet on their website under careers. At first you choose what jobs you want to apply for and where then you fill out basic information name, phone number, previous work experience, etc. After that you fill out if you have been convicted of a crime etc. After that information is all finished you take a personality test, I think they call it, and then wait for a phone call. They called while I was away at school and asked for an interview that week but I told them I could not come home because I was in Iowa. They were completely fine with that and told me to call back a week before I would be coming home. I called at that time and scheduled an interview at the store. I went to the store and was asked about my previous work experience, why I wanted to work there, and what made me fit for the job. The manager told me to come the next day and to bring my id, social security etc. I then came the next day with those things and went to take a drug test after.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions asked that were out of the ordinary.   Answer Question
    It was a part time job seasonal and they offered me 25 cents over minimum wage so I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyannis, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyannis, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

Went onto the Site and filled out an application, a few days later I got call asking for me to come in for a interview. I sat down with the manger and we talked about my resume and a little about the store. She asked me one question. After it was all done she told me she would send in all the information to corporate. If it came back ok (background check) she would call me on Monday. She did and asked me which date would be best to come in for training and orientation.

Interview Questions
    • If I called your last employer what would they tell me about you?   View Answer
    Didn't really negotiate. She asked what I would like for pay. I said 8.50+. When she called me on that Monday she said starting pay would be $9 an hr

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sports Authority in March 2012.

Submitted application online to three different stores. Got a call from one of them to come in for an interview. Came in, met with the store manager. Interviewed with him, received a tour of the store, and was told I seemed like a good fit and would receive a call in a few days.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer describes a situation such as a disagreement with a customer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in March 2012.

I applied online 2 weeks later I received a call for an interview the following week . I went in did the interview and was told that I would receive a call for a second interview and I did get a call. My second interview was with the store manager. The second interview was basically her getting to know me and she sent me to get a drug test and I was hired the next day

They offered 9.25 but I wanted 9.50... They couldn't do it

Footwear Sales Authority Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Applied online, manager called me the next day, phone interview was very basic. Questions about sports and past working experience, scheduled an interview the next week. Interview went very well, manager and I were on the same track and after the first question he decided to hire me.

Interview Questions
    Starting pay was same as what I made at my other job, so they increased it by $0.25, not bad.

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in February 2012.

You usually are contacted by a company recruiter and have a 15 to 20 minute conversation about the role and your skills. If the hiring manager identifies you as a candidate, then you are brought back for a face to face with the hiring manager. After this step would be an interview with the hiring manager's direct supervisor(s).

Interview Questions
    They sent an email with the official offer description and I asked for 1 week to think about it, and they agreed. I didn't counter their offer since it was higher than my stated requirement.

Footware Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority in February 2012.

Very easy just talking about past jobs and why you would be a good fit with the company. The interview consisted of one manager essentially telling you what you are responsible for. It was very straight forward and nothing unexpected. There was no drug test.

None

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Honestly just sound somewhat competent and called back a few times to make yourself sound very interested. I can't give too much advice due to the fact that the sales manager that gave me my interview just bragged about how great he was at being a salesman. They didn't seem to have the highest standards when hiring. Just show up and seem pretty well put together and able to hold a conversation and you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, they offered $8 an hour and you could take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority in January 2012.

No drug test, super easy, laid back interview. Just make sure you say you are willing to cross sell and sell service plans. There are a lot of opportunities for spiffs so make sure you are enthusiastic about that. Generally they tell you right away if you are hired or not. Make sure to ask a few questions to show that you are interested.

No negotiation

Visual Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority in January 2012.

Basic Questions - One on One with the Store Manager & then an interview with the District Manager. They were all sales related questions.

What do you know about the company?
    What products do we sell?
    How would you approach a customer?
    Are you a team player?
    Why would you be an asset to Sports Authority?

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company? Tell us the products that we sell   View Answer
    They asked me what I wanted to get paid, I was offered what I asked for.