Sports Authority

Relevance Date Difficulty

Footwear Sales Authority Interview

Footwear Sales Authority
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sports Authority in March 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, manager called me the next day, phone interview was very basic. Questions about sports and past working experience, scheduled an interview the next week. Interview went very well, manager and I were on the same track and after the first question he decided to hire me.

Interview Question – None, they were all very easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Starting pay was same as what I made at my other job, so they increased it by $0.25, not bad.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online after asking around the employees if there was an opening available. THey told me somebody just quit, so I went ahead and applied. I got contacted the very next day and was told to wait for an hour after the managers finish having a meeting. So I waited and finally got called in. First the sales manager interviewed me and asked me stuff like "Tell me a difficult experience of you dealing with a customer in one of your last jobs" and "Why do you want to work for Sports Authority?'. 2 other managers interviewed me including the Store Manager with almost the exact same questions. Overall it was pretty easy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer in one of your last jobs.   View Answer
  • Why do you want to work for Sports Authority?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Always ask for more dollar per hour that what you think they will give you. I started getting $9/hr while other employees were getting $8.50/hr and they have been there almost a whole year. I asked for $11.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Laurel, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in February 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with one of the managers. There is no specific hiring manager here. Asked about knowledge of sports, previous jobs, education, etc. The question that stood out the most was how did you have to lead in your previous jobs...even though I only applied as a sales associate.

Interview Question – How did you lead at your previous job?   Answer Question

Encinitas, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sports Authority in August 2010.

Interview Details – I filled out online application. Got a call back. I called them back and set up a time to meet. They met with me, liked me. Called me back again to set up a training day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Aim high.

Hyannis, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

Interview Details – Went onto the Site and filled out an application, a few days later I got call asking for me to come in for a interview. I sat down with the manger and we talked about my resume and a little about the store. She asked me one question. After it was all done she told me she would send in all the information to corporate. If it came back ok (background check) she would call me on Monday. She did and asked me which date would be best to come in for training and orientation.

Interview Question – If I called your last employer what would they tell me about you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't really negotiate. She asked what I would like for pay. I said 8.50+. When she called me on that Monday she said starting pay would be $9 an hr

New York, NY

Interview Details – I applied online 2 weeks later I received a call for an interview the following week . I went in did the interview and was told that I would receive a call for a second interview and I did get a call. My second interview was with the store manager. The second interview was basically her getting to know me and she sent me to get a drug test and I was hired the next day

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – They offered 9.25 but I wanted 9.50... They couldn't do it

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in June 2011.

Interview Details – I sent in my application and the next morning recieved a call from the hiring manager. She asked me to come in for an interview with her the following day. I went to the store in typical "interview" attire, and had a one on one interview with the manager. She was very sweet and the interview seemed more like a regular conversation than anything else, she made it very comfortable. Once we were done she told me she would like to set up an interview with the store manager for the next day. I met with him, and again, it was a very casual interview, very low key. He told me that he was going to talk with the hiring manager about me and that she would be in touch within the week. I got a call the very next day. Very low key interviews and when they know they want you they respond in a very timely manner.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was offered a little over min wage, part time employment. I told her that I would love to work as many hours as the would allow and they have been very good about calling me in whenever someone calls out or if they need more coverage. If you have a fairly open schedule and let them know you are willing to cover for others you are golden.

Warrington, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in June 2011.

Interview Details – was called almost immediately after i applied online. after that, i was quickly brought in for an in person interview, asked some very basic questions, and then was offered the job after discussing my qualifications. just go in wearing dressy casual clothes and with a smile on your face, and you will likely do well. it was very simple.

Interview Question – do you like sports?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – wasn't much to negotiate. i was told during the interview what the salary would be, and was asked if that was acceptable.

Manager-In-Training Interview

Manager-In-Training
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in March 2011.

Interview Details – I originally interviewed for a management position, but there were no management positions open. The interview itself was pretty short. I had previous experience with the company and I had recently graduated college. It was pretty apparent the store wanted me. I first met with the Operations Manager just to discuss my previous work and college experience. A few days later I met with the Store Manager and Hardlines managers just so they had an idea of who they were bringing on. I had to take a sales position, but I was promised the first management position that opened up in the district. After 5 open positions had come and gone and about 3 more interviews, I was finally promoted to the position I was promised 7 months earlier.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. I had a very thorough understanding of the business and what was expect of me.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Boulder, CO

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online at sportsauthority.com, and filled out a personality test. I went in to speak to the operations manager a few days later and was given an interview on the spot. My interview consisted of the ops manager looking over my past work experience (mostly customer service positions in food services) and her noting that I am definitely qualified for the position. She asked if I have any specific sports interests (I said mostly baseball and skiing). Finally (this is only 5-10 minutes later), she said if I passed the background test, I would be hired. Extremely easy interview (although it was end of August, when Sports Authority stores that have a Sniagrab are more desperate for extra work).

Interview Question – Are you available to start working on Monday?   View Answer