Sports Authority

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tacoma, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in September 2009.

Interview Details – I applied the first time in person and called about a week and a half later. The manager told me to re-apply on their online website because my application some how got lost. I re-applied online and was called back for an interview. I met with the store manager and he gave me a fairly quick and easy interview. He asked if I had prior retail experience and how free my schedule was for shifts.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation since I hadn't had any retail experience before. I was offered minimum wage and I accepted.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call to come in. Had a group interview with 5 other people. Manager asked same questions to all of us.

Interview Question – Standard questions, why do you want to work here? What do you do in your free time? in 3 words how would you describe yourself?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Frederick, MD

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sports Authority in July 2012.

Interview Details – Called the day after I applied to set up and interview. When I went in I first met with the area supervisor of the position I was applying for, then I interviewed with the store manager (same day). After the interviews I was required to take a drug test that same day. Once my drug test came back clear I was told I got the job and I needed to fill out some paperwork. I went in exactly when they told me, and I was turned away because "the system was down" (I do wish the had called me to let me know this). A few days later I went back in and completed my paperwork. Shortly after that I started work.

Interview Question – How would you suggest additional merchandise to a customer? (this was tough for me because I had never worked retail before)   Answer Question

Mission Viejo, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sports Authority in September 2008.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called for an interview with the store manager within a week. Atmosphere was friendly upon arrival for interview. Interview was in store managers office. Very relaxed, simple interview. Asked basic question like why are you interested in Sports Authority, where else have you worked, which sports did you play, and desired pay. Was offered a position with pay between the rates asked for.

Interview Question – None, interview was very simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, was offered rate within requested amount.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

Interview Details – I did the application via internet on their website under careers. At first you choose what jobs you want to apply for and where then you fill out basic information name, phone number, previous work experience, etc. After that you fill out if you have been convicted of a crime etc. After that information is all finished you take a personality test, I think they call it, and then wait for a phone call. They called while I was away at school and asked for an interview that week but I told them I could not come home because I was in Iowa. They were completely fine with that and told me to call back a week before I would be coming home. I called at that time and scheduled an interview at the store. I went to the store and was asked about my previous work experience, why I wanted to work there, and what made me fit for the job. The manager told me to come the next day and to bring my id, social security etc. I then came the next day with those things and went to take a drug test after.

Interview Question – There were no questions asked that were out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a part time job seasonal and they offered me 25 cents over minimum wage so I did not negotiate.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out an interview online the manger called within 2 days to set up an interview. The interview was very easy, and nothing to complain about. It is held in the manager’s office. There is nothing out of the ordinary in the interview. As with any interview come dressed nicely, show up on time, and know a little bit about the company. Just be who you are and you should be fine.

Interview Question – There really wasn't really any unexpected questions just they typical interview questions that can be found on glassdoor, monster, etc. It always help to know about any company before going in. Just the basics and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negioate pay, though I should've.

Alexandria, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Sports Authority in August 2012.

Interview Details – In my initial interview, my hiring manager only asked the basics (availability, expected pay, experience). He asked "are you sure you want to work here?" with a surprised look, implicating my experience/personal qualifications overqualified me for the position. This immediately led me to believe that I would not be working in a very "professional" atmosphere (I don't believe my qualifications are all that great to begin with).

Interview Question – "What kind of shoe would sell someone who suppinates?" I had never sold shoes before, so naturally I was at a loss for words.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. When I asked what pay I would be receiving he said he "could not really tell me until my background check went through" which made no sense to me but I was desperate for a job and was going to take it regardless. I was however, led to believe I would be making at least $.25 to $.50 more than I actually started with.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sports Authority in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online after asking around the employees if there was an opening available. THey told me somebody just quit, so I went ahead and applied. I got contacted the very next day and was told to wait for an hour after the managers finish having a meeting. So I waited and finally got called in. First the sales manager interviewed me and asked me stuff like "Tell me a difficult experience of you dealing with a customer in one of your last jobs" and "Why do you want to work for Sports Authority?'. 2 other managers interviewed me including the Store Manager with almost the exact same questions. Overall it was pretty easy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer in one of your last jobs.   View Answer
  • Why do you want to work for Sports Authority?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Always ask for more dollar per hour that what you think they will give you. I started getting $9/hr while other employees were getting $8.50/hr and they have been there almost a whole year. I asked for $11.

Encinitas, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sports Authority in August 2010.

Interview Details – I filled out online application. Got a call back. I called them back and set up a time to meet. They met with me, liked me. Called me back again to set up a training day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Aim high.

Hyannis, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sports Authority in May 2012.

Interview Details – Went onto the Site and filled out an application, a few days later I got call asking for me to come in for a interview. I sat down with the manger and we talked about my resume and a little about the store. She asked me one question. After it was all done she told me she would send in all the information to corporate. If it came back ok (background check) she would call me on Monday. She did and asked me which date would be best to come in for training and orientation.

Interview Question – If I called your last employer what would they tell me about you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't really negotiate. She asked what I would like for pay. I said 8.50+. When she called me on that Monday she said starting pay would be $9 an hr

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sports Authority