Spot Trading

Updated Nov 11, 2014
Updated Nov 11, 2014

2.8

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Spot Trading.

Spoke with a recruiter at a career fair, heard back a month later for a phone interview. Involved basic questions about past school projects and background. From there I was invited onsite for an interview. Process took about 4 hours as I spoke with different members of their IT team.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about experience with open source tools. Unicast and Multicast concepts. Scripting and other OOp languages I've used (they primarily use python).   Answer Question

Developer Intern Interview

Phone interview with basic questions about object oriented programming

Software Developer Intern Interview

Initial interview was pretty straightforward - basic C++ questions, resume questions, and runtime questions. Questions included - Trees, Graphs, and Linked Lists. No coding was involved, just C++ trivia including malloc, free, new, and other basic questions. Pretty simple overall. Nothing seemed too difficult, and the offer seems pretty good.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was probably regarding trees and runtimes.   Answer Question

QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Spot Trading in February 2014.

Applied on Linkedin and got a call

Interview Questions
    • A simple phone screen followed by an intense 7 round (different people from Spot - 6 technical) face to face interview.

Most of the questions were around multithreading, concurrency control, past automation experience. There was a linked list question( find dups in L.L. and eliminate those) which I could easily write the code for. Another coding question which was also very easy (had to implement queue using stack) . Interviewer liked my approach.

Some scenario questions where how would you solve a fast sender and slow receiver problem with complexities added as you elaborate. Some data structure related questions like arrays vs linked list /hash maps/queues. Had to write a couple of SQL queries on the white board.

Nothing was difficult , one gentleman asked me a puzzle which was not properly elaborated. I mis-assumed something and got it wrong.

All n all, I gave a solid interview according to me. I don't have ANY c++/python experience and that may be a basis of rejection.
        Answer Question

Financial Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Spot Trading.

I had two 1:1 behavioral/technical first round interviews in person, then phone interview with one of the senior financial engineers. really nice people, great to work with, great company with good business model, free breakfast/lunch, lots of company events

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Spot Trading in October 2012.

The interview process started with a technical phone screen (after initially talking with the recruiter at a career fair). Most of the questions concerned OOP and C++ and Java in particular. A few questions along those lines were:
    - "What are the three principles of OOP?" (Polymorphism, Encapsulation, Inheritance)
    - "How is malloc (in C) different from new in Java?" (Variables can be initialized with new, not with malloc)
    - "What is the difference between a stack and queue?" (FIFO vs. FILO)

They also asked about common networking topics, primarily focused around TCP/UDP (differences between then, advantages/disadvantages, etc).

Following the phone interview, they invite potential hires to the Chicago campus. Here candidates meet with current team members/recent hires, listen to presentations, and go through another round of interviews.

STP Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Spot Trading in March 2012.

First had a phone interview, then they fly out their candidates for further interviews in the Chicago office. These consist of sitting on the desk, then 4 1:1 or 2:1 interviews. Mostly fit questions, some math/probability questions.

Interview Questions
    • I am playing a game in which I roll a die up to 3 times and pay you the number of pips on the die. You can stop after any roll. How much would you pay to play this game?   View Answers (7)

Data Technology Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Spot Trading in March 2012.

After being contacted by the HR, I had a phone interview with the Database Architect who asked me questions on the database.

After that, in the second round - I had Skype interviews with the HR, Project Manager and Database Analyst. The interview with HR consisted of various doubts I had for the organization and my dates of availability.
    The interview with Database Analyst consisted of various questions about my database experience and how I could apply my skills in Spot.
    The interview with Project Manager was behavioral, I was asked about my past experience in detail.

Interview Questions
    Yes, I negotiated my salary because of the high average salary of my University. If you have statistics that can help you negotiate, they will hear you out.

STP Trader Interview

Was my first time interviewing for a trading position and was caught off guard by the questions. Didn't make it past the first interview. Interview with a trader over the phone who asked a lot of mental math and statistical questions. Was also asked questions like what news articles I read, what the S&P closed at that day, what my favorite company was.

Interview Questions
    • I have 2 dice. I roll both of them at the same time. Whats the probability of rolling a 7?   View Answer