Spotify

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

3.2

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Spotify.

After a month long interview process, I was informed that the team was moving forward with another candidate. I understood the decision but it was upsetting that the "rejection" came in the form of an email which is unheard of for many other tech companies in the area.

I received no feedback about why this was not a good fit, despite reaching out for more information.

When asked to give feedback about this experience via Google Docs, I proceeded to take the survey and was directed to a page that said that feedback was no longer needed and that "for right now we've gathered all the information we need."

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Spotify.

I applied online in April, heard back from them a month or so later, shortly thereafter I had a phone interview, then an in person interview and it's now August and needless to say I think its safe to say that I didn't get the job.

I had a great phone interview and was invited to come in for an in person interview. Long story short the entire process was very unprofessional. I understand that Spotify is a young, fun and casual company, but everyone that works there has worked elsewhere and therefore should know better. Neither of my interviewers were attentive. The 1st interviewer obviously didn't take me seriously and was asking me really awkward questions so I gave equally awkward responses. The second interviewer dismissed all of my responses. The whole ordeal made me really uncomfortable.

Usually when a company responds to your application they give you some information with regards to what benefits are offered by the company, not Spotify. Spotify uses a software program for all of their applications and its so easy to send updates about the status of applications to applicants with this software and most companies regularly update applicants, not Spotify. Most companies interview applicants in a quiet private space, not Spotify.

Long story short I would recommend that a friend apply to Spotify because it seems like a cool atmosphere to work in. However I would warn them that things are really unprofessional and the company is going through a lot of growing pains so if this is a person's introduction to the company, what would working there actually be like?

Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Spotify.

Spotify stood me up three times for three interviews. On two occasions, I turned up to Spotify's offices, and the interviewer was either not in the office, or not willing to meet with me at that time. These two interviews required me to take time off of my current job, and so I was very disappointed and frustrated that the interviews ended up getting cancelled. A couple hours before my third scheduled interview, I got an email from the recruiter telling me that they filled the position so my interview was cancelled. The entire process was extremely unprofessional, disingenuous, and a misuse of my time.

Interview Questions
    • "Who are you and who are you here to see?" This is the only interview question I got, and it came from Spotify reception staff.   Answer Question

Web Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Spotify in June 2014.

I was contacted by an in-house recruiter after applying to a position on the Spotify web site. The recruiter asked about work experience, programming language and other technical knowledge. They also answered several questions about company culture and organization.

A week later I did a video interview with two engineers. They asked various questions about PHP and JavaScript programming as well as a few questions about CSS, HTML and other web-based programming experiences. There was also a live coding component using a Google doc.

I didn't hear back from the organization after the interview (although I don't think I was a good fit for the role).

Interview Questions
    • Various PHP and JavaScript programming questions, including both verbal and live coding exercises.   Answer Question

Spotify Uinfluencer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Spotify.

In general, it was very easy. I just applied online and heard back in a week, usually there isn't a phone-interview, just an application. The main point is to emphasize your campus presence and the experience you have had with project management.

Interview Questions
    • what are some events you would do to publicize on campus?   Answer Question

User Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Spotify in February 2014.

I only had one phone interview with the recruiter and it took 7 emails to coordinate that. Finally when on the phone, the recruiter was running late, so the call lasted roughly 20 min and the recruiter came totally not prepared. I asked few questions about the position and how is the research department structured, she was clueless. She apologised as she was new to the design department previously was working on engineering, but still quite shocking I'd say. However I've never got any feedback after that call, although when she described the interview process she mentioned the hiring manager would have been in contact with me within one week.

User Experience Researcher Interview

After dozens of e-mails and over 6 weeks of waiting, I have yet to be reimbursed for my $146 in out-of-pocket trip expenses by Spotify's HR department in Stockholm.

I have, however, had my private banking information sent by plaintext e-mail without my consent, exposing me to the risk of identity theft.

Interview Questions
    • Of all of our many candidates, what makes you the best one for the job?   Answer Question

Summer2014 - Data Infrastructure (Monitoring and Alerting) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Spotify in December 2013.

Found the position posted online at InternMatch.com. Submitted the application. It took several hours to complete but was overall not too difficult. Did not ask too many technical questions but was more about general topics.

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Fast response from recruiter, asked me a small to medium number of topical questions about career goals and experience and compensation expectation. Solved a couple of online programming challenges, which were straightforward but not very well specified. I suppose the idea is to get you find all the edge cases.

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Spotify in November 2013.

I had a phone interview. I was contacted by the HR director via email, after applying through their website. The interview was straight forward, the questions were basic and pretty simple. The interview, somehow, didn't seem to flow (i.e. the questions, while simple, were either all over the place or redundant). It seemed like the interviewer was preoccupied. There were moments of long awkward pauses, that I found myself trying to fill, often wondering if someone was still on the other end, or if the line had been disconnected.