Spotify

3.3

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Spotify in August 2014.

Some time ago I was contacted by a recruiter via Linkedin, asking if I'm looking for a new opportunities. Back that time I was not up to a new job (due to the personal situation), but half a year later I contacted the recruiter again and to my surprise the position was still open, so we started the process.
    It was a bit long, due to the summer holidays time, but once all the people were in place, everything went quite fast. I had 2 skype interviews with my potential managers, had just general questions about my experience and why I'm changing the job. As well some situational questions. Nothing complicated.
    After that I was invited onsite. The whole process was very professional, have to say! I didn't have to bother about booking anything, collecting receipts and waiting for reimbursement, not at all. The travel agency they are working with, handled everything, I had only to be in time at the airport :-)
    The onsite interview was quite exhausting, tbh. Started at 9 with 2 agile coaches checking for my cultural fit for one hour, followed by another pair of curious people checking other soft skills of mine. Another pair were my potential developers checking my basic dev skills and at the end it was a pair who were curious about the way I think and resolve complicated problems. Then we had a lunch with my potential team.
    The whole interview was very interesting and friendly, no cliché questions "how do you see yourself in 10 years", no trying to figure out what I *don't* know. People were focused on getting what I *do* know, I find it very professional.
    Unfortunately 5 hours for me was too much, as well I really wanted that job, and the last hour I was a bit too nervous and couldn't focus on the task.

Ios Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Spotify in April 2014.

First step was interview with team lead about company team setup, requirements, possibilities. I was also talking about my experience, relocation possibilities and motivation.
    I resolved spotify puzzles but it seems it does not count during interview process.
    Second step was phone interview with engineer. He was asking some basic questions about delegate, KVO, KVC and blocks.
    In my opinion for this team spotify is looking rather c/c++ engieneers with objective-c iphone development knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • What gives the quickest access: CPU register, CPU cache, RAM, HDD.
      Write -1 as a 4 bytes integer using hexadecimal notation
        Answer Question

Test Automation Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Spotify in April 2014.

Applied through their website and got an email the next day to book a Skype interview. Had the interview two days later with their head of recruitment, mostly generel questions about me and My questions about spotify. Passed this passé and had a programming test after, got a week to do this. Did not pass this phase.

Agile Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Spotify in April 2014.

Reached out by the in house recruiter on LinkedIn. First round was scheduled over skype and interviewer was a relatively fresh agile coach in their Stockholm office. Questions mostly based on the profile and past experience. Also, asked couple of case study like questions like "How will you handle situation X?".

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of how you've tweaked an existing process and made it work for your setup?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Spotify.

After a few emails and then a Skype interview with HR in Stockholm, reviewing interview process, team culture and timeframe (expected 3 months for me, American, to be hired into the Stockholm HQ). After the initial screening had 2 more interviews via Skype with the hiring manager. She was very smart, passionate about the space. It seemed like great team and opportunity. Then I was passed to another/different HR dude, who informed me he would be in touch regarding next steps (which would have been the f2f in Stockholm). I got the distinct feeling I was being put on the back burner ... A few weeks later I was told that an offer had indeed been extended to and accepted by another candidate. While the 2nd HR dude expressed interest in me as a candidate for other positions, when I pinged him in the future, he never responded. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected really, but be prepared to discuss the competitive landscape in-depth and lay out (i.e. give away for free) your vision for the growth of a feature set/product over time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Spotify in February 2014.

The initial step of the interview process was an email of a recruiter scheduling an initial talk which covered topics like: personal interests, experience, pretensions.

The next step was an interview with a member of the technical team covering technologies and protocols: HTTP, PHP, Python, Web Architecture, MVC, etc.

Third step was the algorithms test with another member of the technical team, with problems about data structure, sorting, graphs, big O, etc.

Interview Questions
    • To make some kind of a parser of a string, checking if opened brackets were correctly closed.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Spotify in January 2014.

Regular 4-step process, 3 of them remotely, and the last required to happen at Spotify HQ (Stockholm).

First, an introductory interview with company HR (talking about work experience, career, salary, etc.), then a 1 hour of intensive technical test (topics about SW Engineering, Unix, FOSS, NoSQL, algorithms, etc), followed by a live programming demo.

While they were mostly kind and verbose about the process, they showed a bit inflexible on the available inverview timeslots (always within strictly 9am-5pm, hard deal with for someone currently employed). At the end of the process they became rather informal, and in fact the HR contact called me several times for meetings that were ultimately (and unannouncedly) suspended.

Interview Questions
    • A number of wide-range technical questions about very varied topics.   Answer Question

- Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Spotify.

Got an email on Linkedin from the Spotify recruiter and sent her my CV. She followed up with some work experience questions on email and the we set up an interview on Skype pretty soon. It was a nice and relaxed interview, mostly work experience questions and job related disscutions. Got the feeling that they are very nice people and nice company culture. The only negative thing is that they said they would give an answer in a few days and then never bother to contact me again .

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Spotify.

First a phone interview that was conversational and relaxed. After that a on-site interview that was also very relaxed. Standard questions, such as background, achievments, strengths & weaknesses as well as some more Spotify specific questions about the product and their company.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Spotify in October 2013.

A head hunter contacted me through LinkedIn asking for a resumé, introduced me to the job description with was pretty much matching my profile.
    A week later I did a one hour technical interview through Skype where I was asked about http requests, threads, memories, java x php, typed vars x untyped vars, apache x nginx and other subjects related to web development in general.
    Another week later I was contacted by a js/php dev leader to test me using an online colab PHP editor and I there were three tests to be done:
    - Identify unique integers in an array. (easy)
    - Sort an array (easy). (without using array_sort).
    - Check nested strings following this examples: (intermediate).
    '{}' -> is nested
    '{{}}' -> is nested
    '{}{}' -> is nested
    '{}}{' -> not nested
    '}{{}' -> not nested
    '{{{}}}' -> is nested

Interview Questions
    • To sort an array is theorically easy but I didn't know if I could use php's sort() function (I should have made this question).
      So I tried the create a bubble sort and selection sort but I was too nervous to manage doing it.
        View Answers (2)