Spotify

Relevance Date Difficulty

Ios Software Engineer Interview

Ios Software Engineer
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Spotify in April 2014.

Interview Details – First step was interview with team lead about company team setup, requirements, possibilities. I was also talking about my experience, relocation possibilities and motivation.
I resolved spotify puzzles but it seems it does not count during interview process.
Second step was phone interview with engineer. He was asking some basic questions about delegate, KVO, KVC and blocks.
In my opinion for this team spotify is looking rather c/c++ engieneers with objective-c iphone development knowledge.

Interview Question – What gives the quickest access: CPU register, CPU cache, RAM, HDD.
Write -1 as a 4 bytes integer using hexadecimal notation
  Answer Question

Agile Coach Interview

Agile Coach
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Spotify in April 2014.

Interview Details – Reached out by the in house recruiter on LinkedIn. First round was scheduled over skype and interviewer was a relatively fresh agile coach in their Stockholm office. Questions mostly based on the profile and past experience. Also, asked couple of case study like questions like "How will you handle situation X?".

Interview Question – Give us an example of how you've tweaked an existing process and made it work for your setup?   Answer Question

Test Automation Developer Interview

Test Automation Developer
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Spotify in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through their website and got an email the next day to book a Skype interview. Had the interview two days later with their head of recruitment, mostly generel questions about me and My questions about spotify. Passed this passé and had a programming test after, got a week to do this. Did not pass this phase.

Interview Question – Programming test   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Spotify in January 2014.

Interview Details – Regular 4-step process, 3 of them remotely, and the last required to happen at Spotify HQ (Stockholm).

First, an introductory interview with company HR (talking about work experience, career, salary, etc.), then a 1 hour of intensive technical test (topics about SW Engineering, Unix, FOSS, NoSQL, algorithms, etc), followed by a live programming demo.

While they were mostly kind and verbose about the process, they showed a bit inflexible on the available inverview timeslots (always within strictly 9am-5pm, hard deal with for someone currently employed). At the end of the process they became rather informal, and in fact the HR contact called me several times for meetings that were ultimately (and unannouncedly) suspended.

Interview Question – A number of wide-range technical questions about very varied topics.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Spotify.

Interview Details – After a few emails and then a Skype interview with HR in Stockholm, reviewing interview process, team culture and timeframe (expected 3 months for me, American, to be hired into the Stockholm HQ). After the initial screening had 2 more interviews via Skype with the hiring manager. She was very smart, passionate about the space. It seemed like great team and opportunity. Then I was passed to another/different HR dude, who informed me he would be in touch regarding next steps (which would have been the f2f in Stockholm). I got the distinct feeling I was being put on the back burner ... A few weeks later I was told that an offer had indeed been extended to and accepted by another candidate. While the 2nd HR dude expressed interest in me as a candidate for other positions, when I pinged him in the future, he never responded. Oh well.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected really, but be prepared to discuss the competitive landscape in-depth and lay out (i.e. give away for free) your vision for the growth of a feature set/product over time.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

System Engineer Interview

System Engineer
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Spotify in August 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter through Linkedin asking if I was interested in a System Engineer position at their Stockholm offices. I quickly replied but couldn't manage to arrange an interview since recruiter never ansewered my mail nor the company sent me a "Thanks, but no thanks" rejection letter.
I am not sure if this company is for real, seems no one has been hired yet for that position.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Spotify in October 2013.

Interview Details – A head hunter contacted me through LinkedIn asking for a resumé, introduced me to the job description with was pretty much matching my profile.
A week later I did a one hour technical interview through Skype where I was asked about http requests, threads, memories, java x php, typed vars x untyped vars, apache x nginx and other subjects related to web development in general.
Another week later I was contacted by a js/php dev leader to test me using an online colab PHP editor and I there were three tests to be done:
- Identify unique integers in an array. (easy)
- Sort an array (easy). (without using array_sort).
- Check nested strings following this examples: (intermediate).
'{}' -> is nested
'{{}}' -> is nested
'{}{}' -> is nested
'{}}{' -> not nested
'}{{}' -> not nested
'{{{}}}' -> is nested

Interview Question – To sort an array is theorically easy but I didn't know if I could use php's sort() function (I should have made this question).
So I tried the create a bubble sort and selection sort but I was too nervous to manage doing it.
  View Answers (2)

- Interview

Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Spotify.

Interview Details – Got an email on Linkedin from the Spotify recruiter and sent her my CV. She followed up with some work experience questions on email and the we set up an interview on Skype pretty soon. It was a nice and relaxed interview, mostly work experience questions and job related disscutions. Got the feeling that they are very nice people and nice company culture. The only negative thing is that they said they would give an answer in a few days and then never bother to contact me again .

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Spotify in February 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process consisted of online application, HR interview and interview with hiring manager.

After applying I had a Skype interview with HR after 2 weeks to check cultural fit. The questions were behavioural; the "tell me about a situation when..."-type of questions. By the end of the interview, HR invited me to an interview with the hiring manager at Spotify HQ the upcoming week. It was an hour long interview session where we went through my resume and I was asked some role specific questions, but we mostly discussed the music industry and emerging tech trends in general. I received my offer shortly after the interview.

The whole process was very fast, relaxed and professional.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship
Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Spotify.

Interview Details – First a phone interview that was conversational and relaxed. After that a on-site interview that was also very relaxed. Standard questions, such as background, achievments, strengths & weaknesses as well as some more Spotify specific questions about the product and their company.

Interview Question – What metrics would you use to track user engagement?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Spotify

Worked for Spotify? Contribute to the Community!