Sprout Social Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

3.2

Bilingual Customer Advocate Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview. The phone interview was on time and lasted about 30 minutes. The Talent Strategist who interviewed me was very well prepared and engaged in our conversation. In person, I was interviewed by 3 key members of the team, and one of these interviews was partly in Portuguese and Spanish, based on the needs of the position I was interviewing for. Every person who interviewed me took their time to get to know my strengths and shared relevant information about the company.

Interview Questions

• For the phone interview, most questions revolved around my understanding of the work Sprout does, and my experience and education background. Questions such as: "What do you know about Sprout?" and "Tell me about your work experience" were asked.
      My in-person interviews addressed questions about my background, knowledge of social media, and experience with different browsers and softwares. Another questions was about how I prioritize tasks, and my strengths and weaknesses.

1 Answer

Mobile Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at an on-campus recruiting event. After giving them my resume the same recruiter reached out to me about a mobile development position at Sprout. She scheduled a phone interview to speak with me about my skills and told me some general stuff about the company. After making it past the first round, I was scheduled to speak with their VP of engineering. Again, mostly telling me about Sprout and trying to gauge my skills and interest in the position. About a day after the interview with the VP of engineering, their recruiter sends me a coding challenge to be completed within a week's time. The challenge basically wanted me to create an iOS app that pulls data from Twitter's API and displays it based on their design mockups. All in all it was not a very difficult challenge. But I'm also a student, so finding time to work on it was a bit difficult and I ended up taking an extra day. The recruiter didn't seem to mind, and after working out some bugs I sent them my final version of the challenge.

About a week went by and I didn’t heard anything. A few more days go by, and I decided to send the recruiter an email about the status of my interview. Another week goes by, still no email. A few days later I reached out a second time concerning the status of the interview. Still nothing. In total, it’s been two and a half weeks since I submitted my coding challenge, I have sent two follow up emails, and I still haven’t heard anything back. I can only assume this means I didn’t get the position.

I find it quite unprofessional that I didn’t even receive a simple “thanks, but we’re not interested at this time yada yada yada” email. Especially considering that I sunk a decent chunk of time into making the app for them. I would have at least liked to hear feedback on my code, which admittedly wasn’t great but like I said I’m a student and time was a factor. Needless to say I’m pretty disappointed with this one. This entire thing was a pretty big waste of my time, so unless you want to waste some of your own I would avoid these guys.

Interview Questions

• General stuff about my interest in the company. Second round had me make an iOS app that pulled twitter data.   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the recruiter, followed by a phone interview with the Director, and then came in for an in-person interview with the Director, member of the team that I'd be joining, as well as a Product Specialist.

Interview Questions

• No crazy questions or curveballs. Asked about my social media interests, what was important to me in a company environment, and why I applied.   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Step One: After expressing interest and sending in my resume I was reached out to and a phone interview with the head of HR was scheduled. This was partially a gague-interest/check out the fit interview, but also involved some more serious knowledge questions. It was about an hour and very pleasant!

Step Two: A phone interview with the head of the team I would be joining. We talked about my past experience, the things I liked the most, and what I liked doing. He had clearly looked through my resume sincerely and also done some online research, looking at my github and codepen. It was a really pleasant conversation as well as a chance to talk about my experience and abilities. Because most of my background is explicitly development they asked me to send in a portfolio of design work I had done.

Step Three: They sent me a code test! The code test for my position involves using a json file and taking a wireframe of a loose product concept to a working reality and designing it along the way. I was on vacation during it so they gave me a few days to get it done. I had a good time writing it out, it wasn't overly challenging, but still had fun problems to solve.

Step Four: Because I lived elsewhere at the time, I flew in to Chicago for a day of interviews. I met with 7 people, two on the team I would be joining, a front end developer, the art director, a project manager, the CTO and HR. We talked about my passions and ambitions, my code test, design. I was run through a whiteboard exercise and some javascript exercises by the more technical and asked about design choices, etc by the more design. Afterwards I had some social time with the team because I had flown in from out of town. It was a great chance to decompress a bit and feel out the social vibe more.

Interview Questions

• Prepare in a common sense manner! Think constructively about the app and what you like and don't like about the design and UX. Go through your front end dev skills and be prepared to talk about your javascript abilities. Be genuine!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

After filling out the online application, one of the talent folks at Sprout reached out to call me in for interviews. There were a couple of one-on-one interviews as well as a couple of panel interviews all at the Sprout offices in downtown Chicago. The interviews were a mix of technical and non-technical questions. Nothing too complicated on the technical questions, just some quick whiteboarding.

Marketing Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social.

Interview

The interview process was more drawn out than my previous experiences, but I was told from the outset that Sprout's timeline was 1 to 2 months, which allowed me to explore other opportunities at the same time. The lines of communication with my contact were very open, and he was very friendly and accessible, but I was frequently waiting for him to gather input from other people as to whether I would move forward in the process.The thorough process did allow me to get to know Sprout well and develop an investment in joining the company.

I applied online and received an email back pretty quickly to set up a phone call. I had a great chat with the recruiter, and a week later was asked to complete a challenging work sample assignment. After that I had another phone conversation with an internal client that I would work closely with. Finally, I came in for in-person interviews with 4 different team members. And a week later I was offered a position! The role I interviewed for was a design + development position, but I was offered a more design-focused position which played more to my strengths, with the caveat that I would be able to learn more coding skills at Sprout if I wanted to.

Interview Questions

• No questions stood out as being especially difficult or unexpected. What did surprise me was that I expected the in-person interview would be a group format, but when I arrived I found out I would be having 4 individual interviews!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sprout Social.

Interview

The interview process is usually mediocre at best. That is not the case at Sprout Social. The process was as painless as an interview process could be. There were three reasons as to why this was such a great experience; time, transparency, and the employees I interviewed with. The whole entire process took about a week from first contact to hire. I have had interview processes take months so this was such a welcome surprise. The recruiter was very transparent about the process. How long the process will take, the next steps each time I advanced, and any other questions I had in general. They didn't give off an air of secrecy, like they were trying to keep me in the dark as much as they could. Finally, everyone from the recruiter, to the colleagues , and the managers I interviewed with were amazing. I never once felt like I was being grilled or tested. It felt like they were genuinely trying to get to know me. They asked questions relevant in figuring out if I was right for the position and for the company. They didn't throw ridiculous curveball questions at me. So overall, this was the best interview experience I have ever had. A+

Talent Acquisition Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward and moved along quickly. It started with an initial phone call (20-30 minutes) with the hiring manager to gather more information about my experience and what I was looking for in my next role. After the first phone conversation, I had another phone conversation with another member of the talent team. The second conversation mirrored many of the things I touched on in the first. Each conversation not only covered my work history but I was also asked about what I enjoy doing outside of the office.

After the phone conversations I was asked to do two work samples. The first was conducting mock phone interview (acting as if I worked at Sprout) with a current employee at Sprout. I was to conduct the interview but also type up my notes from the interview. The other aspect of the work sample was to actually source individuals for a role they might hire for. I had to compile a list and also note; where I sourced the candidate, why they might fit the role and how I'd contact them initially.

I have roughly a week to complete the samples and return them to Sprout. Once I did, I was brought in for an in person interview. I meet with the Senior VP of sales, the VP of Operations and the Senior Talent Manager. All the questions went over more of my experience and how I might fit in at Sprout. The first two meetings took a little over an hour total. I finished the day by meeting with the talent manager and we went over my work samples. The didn't feel like an interview and felt much more like a conversation.

Interview Questions

• The idea of work samples for this role threw me for a bit of a loop. I was also asked "What is the most common misconception people have about you?" I thought that was really interesting and took me a minute or two to think of something.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight-forward and very pleasant. I submitted my resume online and was contacted within a week to be told that interviews would be starting in the near future. The entire interview process—from resume submission to offer—spanned a little over a month and it consisted of: an initial phone interview with the Sr. Talent Manager, a second phone interview with the Product Marketing Manager followed up by a work samples assignment. I was then brought in for an in-person interview with several team members, had one more brief follow-up phone call which was then followed up by an offer. Communication was very open throughout the whole process and all of my inquiries were responded to in a very timely manner.

The work sample assignment was great—it gave me exposure to the types of projects I would potentially be working on, and it also gave me the opportunity to demonstrate the appropriate skills for this role that are harder to portray simply through conversation/interview. The work sample assignment wasn't just conceptual either—it was detailed and very specific while still allowing for a certain level of creative freedom which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions

• I was not thrown any curveballs or unexpected questions. The most difficult question—simply because there are so many ways to answer it, I think—was when I was asked to explain what I thought product marketing entailed.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position via LinkedIn as well as a direct message to the recruiter. There was a delay in the initial outreach but after the initial communication, things moved quickly. In about two weeks, I moved through a 1:1 call with the recruiter, then a 1:1 with the hiring manager, and finally an in-person interview. The process was incredibly efficient in comparison to others I have been involved in. The recruiter made sure I stayed up-to-date on the process and checked in to see if I had questions. The in-person interview was one of the best interviews I've been a part of--it was educational, fun, and diverse. And every person I met was insightful, welcoming, and challenging. It was a no-brainer to accept the position.

Interview Questions

• I don't know that I have an answer to this. The interview was incredibly smooth and conversational so I never felt targeted with "impossible" questions.   Answer Question