Sprout Social Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2014
Updated Aug 15, 2014

3.2

Marketing Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social.

The interview process was more drawn out than my previous experiences, but I was told from the outset that Sprout's timeline was 1 to 2 months, which allowed me to explore other opportunities at the same time. The lines of communication with my contact were very open, and he was very friendly and accessible, but I was frequently waiting for him to gather input from other people as to whether I would move forward in the process.The thorough process did allow me to get to know Sprout well and develop an investment in joining the company.

I applied online and received an email back pretty quickly to set up a phone call. I had a great chat with the recruiter, and a week later was asked to complete a challenging work sample assignment. After that I had another phone conversation with an internal client that I would work closely with. Finally, I came in for in-person interviews with 4 different team members. And a week later I was offered a position! The role I interviewed for was a design + development position, but I was offered a more design-focused position which played more to my strengths, with the caveat that I would be able to learn more coding skills at Sprout if I wanted to.

Interview Questions
    • No questions stood out as being especially difficult or unexpected. What did surprise me was that I expected the in-person interview would be a group format, but when I arrived I found out I would be having 4 individual interviews!   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Sprout Social in July 2014.

I have very mixed feelings about posting this negative interview review since my initial impressions of Sprout were so overwhelmingly positive, but the way the process ultimately unfolded has tipped the scale for me. I initially reached out to the HR Manager via LinkedIn and he was very clear that they didn't have an immediate need for the positions I was interested in. This was great in the sense that they were very transparent from the beginning. We continued to exchange emails over the course of a few months and he asked if I wanted to stop by for an interview at their office. This was more of an intro interview than anything else and lasted about an hour. The experience was positive and he then suggested that I apply for the Customer Success Manager role several weeks later.

I applied for the role and received an email from a Talent Acquisition Specialist two weeks later, who I later found out had only been on the job for one month. I tried to ignore this fact, but my gut instinct was that it seemed a little weird that I had been going through the interview process longer than this person was actually employed in HR at Sprout. From start to finish, the process lasted six months. We set up a phone interview that mainly consisted of questions about my current role. He outlined the next steps in the process and made it seem like an on-site interview was a given. He then set up a brief phone interview with a Sales team member who literally said this interview was just to make sure you're a human and not a robot. I'll mention this guy again later.

After six months of consistent effort and positive interviews with no objections to my candidacy, I was extremely shocked to receive an e-mail the next day informing me that I would not be moving forward to the in-person interview. I never got that opportunity because they said, "No," every time. I got the standard canned email saying we value your background and experience but don't have a need for your skills at this time. I probed different interviewers at every point of the process if they had any objections to my candidacy and that I would be happy to share any information that may help resolve those objections.

I sent back a polite e-mail explaining my surprise that Sprout was passing on my candidacy given my background, the strong interest in my candidacy, and the extended period that I had been interviewing. Although it shouldn't come as a surprise since many companies won't give you candid feedback, it's worth noting that I never received a response to this e-mail asking for any candid feedback they could provide on why they passed on my candidacy. Interestingly enough, the Sales Team member who interviewed me last looked at my LinkedIn profile shortly after I sent this e-mail. My only guess is that he was a little surprised I wasn't moving on as well.

Interview Questions
    • What are some things that you've worked on in your current role that you're proud of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sprout Social.

The interview process is usually mediocre at best. That is not the case at Sprout Social. The process was as painless as an interview process could be. There were three reasons as to why this was such a great experience; time, transparency, and the employees I interviewed with. The whole entire process took about a week from first contact to hire. I have had interview processes take months so this was such a welcome surprise. The recruiter was very transparent about the process. How long the process will take, the next steps each time I advanced, and any other questions I had in general. They didn't give off an air of secrecy, like they were trying to keep me in the dark as much as they could. Finally, everyone from the recruiter, to the colleagues , and the managers I interviewed with were amazing. I never once felt like I was being grilled or tested. It felt like they were genuinely trying to get to know me. They asked questions relevant in figuring out if I was right for the position and for the company. They didn't throw ridiculous curveball questions at me. So overall, this was the best interview experience I have ever had. A+

Talent Acquisition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social.

The interview process was very straight forward and moved along quickly. It started with an initial phone call (20-30 minutes) with the hiring manager to gather more information about my experience and what I was looking for in my next role. After the first phone conversation, I had another phone conversation with another member of the talent team. The second conversation mirrored many of the things I touched on in the first. Each conversation not only covered my work history but I was also asked about what I enjoy doing outside of the office.

After the phone conversations I was asked to do two work samples. The first was conducting mock phone interview (acting as if I worked at Sprout) with a current employee at Sprout. I was to conduct the interview but also type up my notes from the interview. The other aspect of the work sample was to actually source individuals for a role they might hire for. I had to compile a list and also note; where I sourced the candidate, why they might fit the role and how I'd contact them initially.

I have roughly a week to complete the samples and return them to Sprout. Once I did, I was brought in for an in person interview. I meet with the Senior VP of sales, the VP of Operations and the Senior Talent Manager. All the questions went over more of my experience and how I might fit in at Sprout. The first two meetings took a little over an hour total. I finished the day by meeting with the talent manager and we went over my work samples. The didn't feel like an interview and felt much more like a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • The idea of work samples for this role threw me for a bit of a loop. I was also asked "What is the most common misconception people have about you?" I thought that was really interesting and took me a minute or two to think of something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social in May 2014.

The interview process was pretty straight-forward and very pleasant. I submitted my resume online and was contacted within a week to be told that interviews would be starting in the near future. The entire interview process—from resume submission to offer—spanned a little over a month and it consisted of: an initial phone interview with the Sr. Talent Manager, a second phone interview with the Product Marketing Manager followed up by a work samples assignment. I was then brought in for an in-person interview with several team members, had one more brief follow-up phone call which was then followed up by an offer. Communication was very open throughout the whole process and all of my inquiries were responded to in a very timely manner.

The work sample assignment was great—it gave me exposure to the types of projects I would potentially be working on, and it also gave me the opportunity to demonstrate the appropriate skills for this role that are harder to portray simply through conversation/interview. The work sample assignment wasn't just conceptual either—it was detailed and very specific while still allowing for a certain level of creative freedom which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions
    • I was not thrown any curveballs or unexpected questions. The most difficult question—simply because there are so many ways to answer it, I think—was when I was asked to explain what I thought product marketing entailed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social in May 2014.

I applied for this position via LinkedIn as well as a direct message to the recruiter. There was a delay in the initial outreach but after the initial communication, things moved quickly. In about two weeks, I moved through a 1:1 call with the recruiter, then a 1:1 with the hiring manager, and finally an in-person interview. The process was incredibly efficient in comparison to others I have been involved in. The recruiter made sure I stayed up-to-date on the process and checked in to see if I had questions. The in-person interview was one of the best interviews I've been a part of--it was educational, fun, and diverse. And every person I met was insightful, welcoming, and challenging. It was a no-brainer to accept the position.

Interview Questions
    • I don't know that I have an answer to this. The interview was incredibly smooth and conversational so I never felt targeted with "impossible" questions.   Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Entire interview process was very professional and efficient. The underlying philosophy driving Sprout Social seems to be based on the assumption that satisfied, respected work force is critical to building healthy teams and providing excellent results. I agree!

Interview Questions
    • Asked to discuss technical challenges related with providing an AWS alternative   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social in April 2014.

I initially reached out to the company in early April about potentially joining the Sprout team for the summer as an intern for the marketing department. I was greeted with a quick response from their talent manager at which time we arranged a time to speak on the phone. A few days later I was interviewed on the phone for about 30 minutes or so. That interview went well so a follow up phone interview was arranged with the head of PR/Communications. That interview also seemed to go well and about a week later I was invited to interview with the VP of Marketing, head of PR/Communications, and the head of Product Marketing at the Sprout Social office. I unfortunately was not living in Chicago just yet so a Skype interview was arranged. The interview lasted 45 to 50 minutes. About a week or so later I found I had got the position. Every one was extremely friendly during the interview process and I was elated when I found out I had landed the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was challenged with thinking how roles that I had played at a previous job (mainly sales but some marketing) would transition into the marketing position   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sprout Social in April 2014.

The interview process (3 steps) consisted of a phone screening, on site interview with the Talent Manager and Hiring Manager, and concluded with a meeting with current employees with similar duties to the applied position. Communication with my application process was very thorough and timely. This process enabled me to see into daily expectations of associates holding similar positions, however, it was the mindset and vision of these associates that sold the company. It is clear to see that each employee maintains a high level of engagement and the expectation is that opportunities at Sprout Social are considered careers, not jobs.

Interview Questions
    • While much of the dialogue was concentrated on experience and skillset, Sprout Social is definitely prioritizing cultural fit. Finding a way to connect your personal interests and passion into the expected responsibilities of the position will be essential. Be open and honest about life beyond the office place during the interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sprout Social in April 2014.

Started out with a phone screen with recruiter, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Next step was to complete a robust case study that included writing a blog post, an email blast, and use case scenarios. After that, was brought in for an in person interview with the team that consisted of 3 interviewers for about 3 hours. Interview questions were pretty basic and a get-to-know, but the hiring manager in person interview was to go over the case study you completed which was more challenging since she picked your brain. However, I didn't think it was too hard and mainly common sense. The recruiter at SS was fantastic, stayed on top of everything, and very pleasant to work with.

Interview Questions
    • The in-person interview with the hiring manager was the most challenging. She kept probing "anything else? What would you change? What else would you consider? Would you change this and why? Walk me through everything." The interview with another team member was boring, I don't think he wanted to be there nor did he really have anything to say.   View Answer