Square Enix

Updated Jan 30, 2015

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Square Enix

QA Tester Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Square Enix.

I responded to an ad online and was contacted by a representative of Wired Talent. After a short and pleasant conversation on the phone, I was asked to come in for a bug test at the Square Enix building in El Segundo.

The bug test is essentially a grammar proficiency exam, and it boils down to correcting errors in a sentence. It's also a good preview of the general structure for writing a suggested fix. After correcting errors in a series of example sentences, there is a written exam portion with a few available topics.

The following week I received word I had passed the exam and was asked in for a face-to-face interview. The interview was conducted by three members of the staff there and was pleasant and relaxed. I was asked to talk about a mechanic in a game I believe could use improvement. Other questions revolved around resolving work place disputes and how I might deal with extended periods of repetitive tasks. They went into greater detail on the position. The QA type work there is localization focused, meaning greater emphasis is put on correcting grammar, spelling, and syntax mistakes over functionality problems. That isn't to say there aren't functionality problems to be addressed (there are) but because many of the games are Japanese to English translated products, a greater number of the bugs and fixes revolve around text. Finally, I was asked why I was qualified to assess a text-heavy product.

About a week later, I was informed I had passed the interview process, and would be placed in a "talent pool." Later, I was told I had been selected and that the project would be starting in the following weeks. The whole process took about 3-4 weeks.

Friendly advice: On the days of the bug exams/interviews, you will be going to the Square Enix building in El Segundo. Make it a point to arrive early, as you will likely be parking in the street. The neighborhood streets surrounding the building fill up with other parked vehicles during the week. On top of that, you must be mindful of certain street being unavailable to park on due to street sweeping, depending on the day of the week you are there.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with work place disputes?   View Answer
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Square Enix.

The entire process was very straightforward. The actual interview was very pleasant. I think it would be hard for anyone to feel uncomfortable. There were no super hard questions, as long as you do your research beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to keep yourself focused when certain aspects of a job get repetitive?   View Answer

QA Tester Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Square Enix.

Applied online.
    Was brought in for a bug test.
    Passed test; brought back in for an interview.
    Was put into the talent pool for future projects.

No negotiation.

Art Director Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Square Enix.

the interview was very short and to the point

Interview Questions
    The offered an amount and I counter offered.