Square Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.2

Product Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Square.

Long, chaotic and full day interviews. Was supposed to have a lunch interview but the recruiter and interviewers forgot to look at the schedule. Was ravenous by the time I got to 3 PM.

The interview panel did not ask really good questions. There was more of an emphasis on behavioral questions. No one on the panel could respond with ways in which Squate could compete strategically.

The scheduling and follow up was chaotic.

The good - the office is phenomenally beautiful. If they spent as much time on focusing on the product and strategy as they did the decor, they would not be in limbo right now.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Square.

Got a referral to a recruiter. Did online coding challenge on HackerRank, but made one small mistake that caused me to fall short of getting all test cases. Later did Skype interview, but was rejected afterwards. Questions were standard stuff, algos and string manipulation.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Square.

First, I applied online and then talked to a recruiter at a career fair. Next, I was led through an online coding challenge which led to two Skype interviews with current Square engineers. These Skype interviews were done through a shared coding environment and were expected to run by the end of the 45 minute/1 hour interview which was a bit daunting at first, but definitely doable. Next, I went into the headquarters in SF for two in person pair-programming interviews which were difficult and were also expected to run by the end of the interview. Overall, it was a very different interview process, but I really enjoyed it

Customer Support Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Square.

Recruiter was 7 minutes late for the phone screening. (1st red flag) During the course of the conversation, the recruiter sounded very unengaged and unenthusiastic throughout the entire time. At one point, there was a long 3-4 second pause after I answered one of the questions which I proceeded to ask if I may ask questions about the company itself. (2nd red flag) Overall, the interview cut short 16 min of the total expected time after I had asked everything I could do to prepare. (3rd red flag) I knew right away I was not going to proceed since it seemed that they already had a list of candidates to go through to the next round.

If that is truly the case, it is very unprofessional to give me a pity call and not respect my time that I prepared. Easily, they could have told me prior to my schedule that they've already moved on and it wouldn't have been a problem. A true blessing in disguise I didn't get through if this type of unprofessionalism is part of the company culture.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Square.

Its about online code challenge I met. I did not pass the code challenge so did not get the opportunity for an interview. But I hope the experience of code challenge can help someone else who will apply the same company. The code challenge is only one hour and one question online. And have to pass all the test cases.

Interview Questions
    • There's a tree, a squirrel, and several nuts. Positions represented by a matrix, like x, y. And the goal is to find the minimal distance for the squirrel find the nuts and put them into the tree one by one.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Square.

sign up through university online and then get called in for an on site interview. before the on site interview, had to do a test online to code for certain functions. 1 hour long test of pure coding knowledge. can be coded in any language. then went to the on site interview. 2 hours long coding session

Interview Questions
    • How to code a program that gives you the day of the week given a date   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Applied online. Sent a link to a simple timed problem which took about an hour, and afterwards a technical interview over skype. Nothing too out of the ordinary and the person I interacted with was very nice.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Square.

Went through a phone interview and then had a face to face. The phone interview was series of high level technical questions to make sure I actually was a tech guy. That's what it seems like.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of high level technical questions about web-services and javascript frameworks. Stuff about full javascript stacks using things like mongoDB, express, node, angular, react, go. Also have some backend services using Java technology. Questions about software architecture, i/o optimization, linux admin stuff.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Square in February 2015.

Applied online through Square website for software engineering internship, receieved a coding question on HackerRank a week later. Square said they would pursue on campus interviews with prospective hires. Completed the coding question in an hour but didn't do great. Did not receive any additional information/notification but assumed that I was not going to receieve an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Technical coding problem on HackerRank with language of your choice   Answer Question

Software Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Square.

I was contacted by Square for an interview after submitting a resume on their website. The email they sent prior to the phone interview was extremely in-depth, so there were no surprises during the interview. Coding challenge for 50 minutes on a tree manipulation question, and talked about Square and their needs for the last 10.