Square Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Square.

I was selected for first round technical interview with Square through my local campus recruiter. The first round is a series of technical challenges on an online platform, HackerRank. They give you 3 days and 1 hours to complete their challenge up to a certain standard. Still waiting to hear back...

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Very organized and thorough. Recruiters are prompt and the onsite process if well organized.

Smart people who are able to ask good questions within the 30 mins allotted to each interviewer. Each interviewer is tasked with testing you on a certain skill set: communications, cultural fit, strategic thinking, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a case study on a Friday, which I had to submit ahead of a Monday interview. I had to develop a go to market plan for a product.   View Answer
    Any increase in equity and salary must be reviewed by the board and it is nearly impossible to move the needle.

Accountant Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Square in July 2014.

I got contacted via LinkedIn by their recruiters. The communication was very quick and smooth. We set an interview with the Senior Accounting Manager. It seems I skipped the first interview with the HR. I assume it was because they contacted me and I met all the requirements of the position. The interview took half an hour, he was very nice and also the interview was quite pleasant, no stress or press from the side of the interviewer. From my point of view there were a few questions which were technically difficult or got me surprised and I think I did not answer them well structured or did not cover all the points I should have.

Interview Questions
    • If a company gets public from private what would you recommend not to forget in regards of the accounting point of view? It is not a difficult question but to answer it well structured and do not forget any important points is no so easy.   Answer Question

Treasury Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Square.

Took a week to arrange a phone interview and got a call for half an hour then not hear from them at all. Not even a feedback or decline email.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Square in May 2014.

I was contacted through LinkedIn. Phone screening went fast, and I was presented to the Hiring manager, to whom I spoke within a couple of days. Went well and I was asked to come in for face to face interview with 6 different people.
    I think I immediately felt Square was not the place for me: most questions from the various members were geared to understand my skills and past work history and that would relate to my position at Square, which is fine an common practice. What was completely missing was any sign of human connection or desire to understand if I would be a fit for the team from a more general standpoint than just my skills
    It feels like they believe in their own hype (the smartest people in the bay are work here, we all come from Google/Facebook/Apple/Twitter, our CEO is a genius, we have free coffee and lunch!!! etc)
    I never got any feedback (no reply at all) after my interview, not even after emailing the recruiter about the outcome of my interview, which sorts of validates the sense of arrogance and self righteousness I felt through the whole 3 hours I spent there

Software Engineer Interview

Short simple problems along with discussion, geared towards a complete rather than clever solution. Some very experienced interviewers that made for a pleasant experience. Set up as a "pairing" experience but without much direct help (as in normal pairing). Design questions were taken from the real world and very well chosen, it was clear the interviewers had a deeper knowledge about the subject and were open to variation.

Interview Questions
    • What day of the week was the Unix Epoch? (geared towards algorithm implementation)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Square in May 2014.

Quick phone call followed by a coderpad-based interview done over Skype. The interview consists of the guy from Square giving you the problem statement, and I was expected to write a working solution - including test cases - which is compiled and run within coderpad. I had to do two of these because the first one was inconclusive.

The first problem I got was writing an arithmetic expression parser with only parentheses and the '+' sign. This was fairly straightforward. Then, he asked to parse a list of expressions instead of just one. Then, some expressions could reference others in the list (e.g. A3 + 1) which was as far as we got. I successfully wrote the code but I think he was displeased with my messy design as it was "patched through" on the initial design. Eventually the recruiter informed me that I need to do another coderpad session.

The second interview was much like the first. The problem this time was to write a class scheduler, where each class could have multiple time slots and we need to choose a combination of times so that we can take each class. I tried this time to focus on designing it properly in OO but it took so much time that I was only able to reach one evolution of the problem - return all possible arrangements instead of just the first. I haven't received an official response yet but I'm pretty sure I effed this one up as I was probably expected to reach at least step 3 or 4. Oh well..

Interview Questions
    • Overall, both problems were non-trivial and the requirement of writing working code + tests in a one hour interview makes this probably the toughest interview I've done to date. If you're doing this, make sure you are able to solve the above problems quickly and properly OO. Use python (or similar) to save some time on list comprehension. Good luck!   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Square.

Phone screen followed by two face to face interviews with head of recruiting and another account executive. After that there was a phone call with Square's head of sales. Whole process lasted about 3-4 weeks. Recruiters are super friendly and communicative--very passionate about both the Square product and company culture.

Interview Questions
    • Who are Square's competitors?
      What have you learned about yourself from the college experience?
        Answer Question

Account Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Square in April 2014.

Went through a four step interview process. Had 3 phone interview before was flown out for onsite interview. Interview process was not that difficult, typical interview questions. The most important part to keep in mind when interviewing you need to show you passion for the products and Square and how your can add value to the team.

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Square.

Reached out to hiring manager, and was asked to write a fake blog post involving a real small business signing up with Square. Heard from recruiter the next business day and scheduled interviews quickly. Met with four people, who focused primarily on behavioral questions and lot of questions asking for feedback. ... Recruiting manager did not keep her appointment with me and I was excused early after hiring manager apparently decided during the interview that I wasn't the right fit. Rest of the hiring team was very nice. ... Couple of days later, I received a form rejection letter, with recruiting manager claiming in her email that she had called me, too. But she hadn't. ... All in all, it was an interesting place with lots of good people, but also and a few folks who were not entirely respectful or considerate. I felt like I was mined for a lots of consultative comments and ideas, then excused. That said, all the questions could be explained as very valid behavioral and analytical interview testing .... The culture seemed fast, and they were very proud of the dynamic office environment with high-end espresso stations and work "cabanas."

Interview Questions

Worked for Square? Contribute to the Community!