Square Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014
104 interviews

3.2

Accountant Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Square in July 2014.

I got contacted via LinkedIn by their recruiters. The communication was very quick and smooth. We set an interview with the Senior Accounting Manager. It seems I skipped the first interview with the HR. I assume it was because they contacted me and I met all the requirements of the position. The interview took half an hour, he was very nice and also the interview was quite pleasant, no stress or press from the side of the interviewer. From my point of view there were a few questions which were technically difficult or got me surprised and I think I did not answer them well structured or did not cover all the points I should have.

Interview Questions
    • If a company gets public from private what would you recommend not to forget in regards of the accounting point of view? It is not a difficult question but to answer it well structured and do not forget any important points is no so easy.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Square in November 2012.

Pretty standard. First phone screen with recruiter. Second phone screen with an engineer. Then whole day onsite from 9am to 5pm. Free lunch in the company.

Pros:
    1. They moved very fast.
    2. The programming questions were pretty fun to work on. Use IDE, not whiteboard. Great.
    3. The lunch was good.
    4. The hand crafted coffee was awesome!
    5. The office was nice.

Cons:
    1. I didn't feel the excitement about the company from the recruiters.
    2. The onsite was too long: 10am to 5pm. They were mostly coding questions. Though they were fun, I was very tired at the end of the day. I think three 1-hour long coding sessions should be enough for evaluating one's code skills.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult: A question that I solved with dynamic programming. I got it anyway.
      Unexpected question: Describe what happen when someone requests a web page from browser. Man, this question is too common. I was asked many times in other places. I expected Square is more creative.
        Answer Question

I was working on Big Data with Hadoop, Hive, Cassandra, etc with a lot of data. But, they were still tuning their PostgreSQL. Their traffic was not in the big scale that I wanted to work on. And, they didn't have the culture of contributing code back into open source. I thought it would be very fun to work there because they had raised so much money so that employees can enjoy nice office and good in a relaxing environment. But, I thought I wouldn't be technically challenged.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Square in May 2014.

I was contacted through LinkedIn. Phone screening went fast, and I was presented to the Hiring manager, to whom I spoke within a couple of days. Went well and I was asked to come in for face to face interview with 6 different people.
    I think I immediately felt Square was not the place for me: most questions from the various members were geared to understand my skills and past work history and that would relate to my position at Square, which is fine an common practice. What was completely missing was any sign of human connection or desire to understand if I would be a fit for the team from a more general standpoint than just my skills
    It feels like they believe in their own hype (the smartest people in the bay are work here, we all come from Google/Facebook/Apple/Twitter, our CEO is a genius, we have free coffee and lunch!!! etc)
    I never got any feedback (no reply at all) after my interview, not even after emailing the recruiter about the outcome of my interview, which sorts of validates the sense of arrogance and self righteousness I felt through the whole 3 hours I spent there

Account Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Square in April 2014.

Went through a four step interview process. Had 3 phone interview before was flown out for onsite interview. Interview process was not that difficult, typical interview questions. The most important part to keep in mind when interviewing you need to show you passion for the products and Square and how your can add value to the team.

Treasury Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Square.

Took a week to arrange a phone interview and got a call for half an hour then not hear from them at all. Not even a feedback or decline email.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Square in May 2014.

Quick phone call followed by a coderpad-based interview done over Skype. The interview consists of the guy from Square giving you the problem statement, and I was expected to write a working solution - including test cases - which is compiled and run within coderpad. I had to do two of these because the first one was inconclusive.

The first problem I got was writing an arithmetic expression parser with only parentheses and the '+' sign. This was fairly straightforward. Then, he asked to parse a list of expressions instead of just one. Then, some expressions could reference others in the list (e.g. A3 + 1) which was as far as we got. I successfully wrote the code but I think he was displeased with my messy design as it was "patched through" on the initial design. Eventually the recruiter informed me that I need to do another coderpad session.

The second interview was much like the first. The problem this time was to write a class scheduler, where each class could have multiple time slots and we need to choose a combination of times so that we can take each class. I tried this time to focus on designing it properly in OO but it took so much time that I was only able to reach one evolution of the problem - return all possible arrangements instead of just the first. I haven't received an official response yet but I'm pretty sure I effed this one up as I was probably expected to reach at least step 3 or 4. Oh well..

Interview Questions
    • Overall, both problems were non-trivial and the requirement of writing working code + tests in a one hour interview makes this probably the toughest interview I've done to date. If you're doing this, make sure you are able to solve the above problems quickly and properly OO. Use python (or similar) to save some time on list comprehension. Good luck!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Short simple problems along with discussion, geared towards a complete rather than clever solution. Some very experienced interviewers that made for a pleasant experience. Set up as a "pairing" experience but without much direct help (as in normal pairing). Design questions were taken from the real world and very well chosen, it was clear the interviewers had a deeper knowledge about the subject and were open to variation.

Interview Questions
    • What day of the week was the Unix Epoch? (geared towards algorithm implementation)   View Answer

Customer Support Representative Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Square in April 2014.

I was emailed by an account coordinator and had my first interview at the end of March. I was asked to submit a writing sample (these were sample customer emails meant to evaluate my ability to use their knowledge base). Had a telephone interview with a team member in SF, and then an in-person interview in their offices in New York. Was called at the end of April by Beth, who let me know that I was the second runner up for the role, and asking if she could call me when they started hiring again. Called me back a month later.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell us about a time that you made a mistake, and how you handled it?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Square in April 2014.

Initial communication was with Amy back in February. Received an e-mail the first week of April from Beth that they temporarily stopped hiring for the role. E-mailed the following week to come in for an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe Square to your Grandma? If you were stranded on a deserted island what three things would you bring? Describe Squares culture?   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Square.

Phone screen followed by two face to face interviews with head of recruiting and another account executive. After that there was a phone call with Square's head of sales. Whole process lasted about 3-4 weeks. Recruiters are super friendly and communicative--very passionate about both the Square product and company culture.

Interview Questions
    • Who are Square's competitors?
      What have you learned about yourself from the college experience?
        Answer Question

Worked for Square? Contribute to the Community!