Square

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Started with a phone screen in which an engineer asked the typical questions. Spent a day on-site working on pair coding problems and some design questions. Most of the people were fairly friendly and I liked the pair coding format. They let you use whatever language you are most comfortable programming in.

Interview Questions
    • In the interest of professionalism and confidentiality, I refuse to provide hints as to what they ask in their interviews. One thing that I would mention is that the interview was difficult, and included somewhat typical CS-related questions. Some of the questions were somewhat pointless and would be poor predictors of success at the company. Being completely devoted to Ruby on Rails is probably a better predictor of success at Square.   Answer Question
    They didn't budge a lot on the negotiation side.

Software Engineering Interview

Two phone interviews and one onsite. Recruiters were all friendly. One phone interviewer ditched me and no explanation was offered- simply had to reschedule again. At the onsite, I had trouble with one of the questions and the interviewer felt slightly adversarial. The second interviewer was actually worse- complaining about having to do interviews early Friday morning, was on his phone while I walked through and completed the question by myself (not sure why they bother to call this a pair programming interview?). Since they hold the "pair programming interviews" in a big room, another interviewee actually told me afterwards how rude it was that they could see my interviewer on the phone! He absolutely hated my Q&A questions at the end- apparently you can't ask them to answer to some criticisms of the company. Perhaps I should have felt it out better since he was clearly already in a bad mood and didn't want to be there, but come on! Overall, it really was a negative experience compared to other company onsites I've had.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Square in December 2014.

Had a series of six interviews. The first two were after an online programming challenge and were via skype and coderpad.io. The interviewers were friendly albeit seemingly distracted at time, (and some skype troubles). Then I had two interviews on my college campus. These were fantastic to actually be able to work with them in the room and bounce ideas around. Finally I was brought onsite for a final two interviews where the interviewers not only considered the problem but when I mentioned what I was interested in went above and beyond to find other team members that could talk to me more specifically about the work. Overall it was an incredible experience not to mention their campus is fantastic.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were overly difficult however one involved a delayed process scheduler which was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Square.

I applied on Piazza by sending a message. They then gave me a coding challenge where I had to implement the count-out-loud sequence, which was fairly straight forward. Next I had an interview with an engineer. I had to implement an inorder tree iterator in java. I had a hiccup with it along the way which screwed me over.

Support Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Square.

I applied on the Square site, and about a week later a recruiter contacted me to set up a half-hour phone screen. Beth asked about 4 questions, and then asked if I had any questions. The whole thing took 20 minutes. A few days later, she emailed me back, and wanted to set up a phone interview with someone who'd been in this position for a while. That went very well, we got on great, he asked a lot of behavioral questions, and then happily answered any questions I had. After 40 minutes, he apologized, and said he really needed to get to another meeting. Fair enough.

Then Beth got back to me, and wanted to set up a 3 hour, in-person interview with a number of people and asked when would be good "next week"? I gave three possibilities (Wednesday morning, Thursday afternoon, or all day Friday), and also offered to meet early the next week if none of those worked. I got scheduled for Friday of the next week. It seemed a bit weird to ask me for a time, and then completely disregard it, but that happens.

I showed up, and the first half-hour was with two people. Another peer interview. They were both extremely awkward, read questions off their notes, and stepped all over each other. It felt like they weren't used to interviewing and didn't particularly want to be there. The second half-hour was another peer interview with a wonderful person, who had excellent questions (mostly behavioral and about my experience/history), and was very happy to answer questions as well. After 15 minutes, she had to go to another meeting. Then I waited for another 15 minutes until the third interview was supposed to start, and then the person who let me in said that next interviewer had another meeting and wouldn't make it, that the recruiter wasn't in the office that day, and she'd walk me out.

Yep, a 3 hour interview got whittled down to 45 minutes, because people couldn't be asked to show up to the interview. I never talked to any manager, just peer interviews, and the recruiter wasn't even in the office on the day she scheduled me. It was glaringly obvious they already had someone, and were just going through the motions. I'd rather they had just canceled so I didn't have to come in.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you messed up and were corrected for it. How did you react?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. Performed coding challenge online, which wasn't so difficult and showed competency. Two phone interviews which were more difficult, but still manageable with knowledge of basic data structures. On-site in San Fransisco.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Square.

Applied online and a recruiter contacted replied within a week. She asked me to complete a 1 hour Hackerrank online challenge within the next day. I was really busy, but still made time to complete it. I solved the question adequately and it passed every test case. I followed up but did not receive a response. Kind of rude on their part.

Interview Questions
    • Question was based on darts. You're given 2 players' throws as input and should output the result of the match. Hard to explain since the prompt was very long.   View Answer

Software Security Engineer Interview

Basic problems for processing data which may contain errors.
    Their interview process is very engineer / developer oriented.
    Even though I have a PhD in computer security, they did not seem to care, they only were interested in how fast I could develop a S/W.

Moreover, their interview process was a bit messy. I am surprised they get such good reviews on Glassdoor.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Square.

Applied online. First step was completing a coding challenge on HackerRank. Next was a one-hour phone screen. Interviewer seemed genuinely interested in my past projects. Spent first 10 minutes talking about current and past projects. Then did a coding question on a shared coding environment. The environment compiled and ran code so the code you write has to work. Unfortunately I didn't do so well during the phone screen and didn't make it past this stage.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Square in October 2014.

Applied via college/university. Recruiter reached out with a coding exam, which was pretty easy to solve. Next, a phone screen was scheduled, but I did not make it past this stage. The phone screen consisted of some resume questions and a programming question based on CoderPad, so the interviewer can watch you write your solution, though you are also free to implement your solution on an IDE first.

It does seem that they want people who can think of a good solution and code pretty quickly, and if you use API docs, that you use them properly by making the correct calls that are appropriate for what you want to do and that provide the best theoretical performance. The technical questions themselves weren't too bad, but they set the bar at a pretty high level for the solution that you deliver. So in this case, simply being able to deliver a workable solution isn't enough.

Interview Questions
    • In implementing the solution, the interviewer did ask how I could optimize my solution further. It was kind of a unique case.   Answer Question