Square Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.2

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Internal recruiter reaches out for a short phone screen. He was about 10 minutes late. Mentioned that he is really busy and has back to back calls. (Makes me feel really valued) The call didn't seem to have a purpose other then informing me the recruiting process and ask why I was looking. I was invited to headquarters for a short 2 person interview. When receiving the email confirmation there is no schedule for who you will be meeting with. The schedule said it will be 1 hour and 15 minutes and if that goes well then another interview. When I arrived I ended up with a 3 hour interview with over 4 people. The coordinator picks you up from the lobby and gives a short tour and water. Very modern and high tech looking office with lots of space. The team is very nice and seem like a good bunch of people to work with. Most have been there 3+ years. Since they have a small group it appears they are looking for someone who fits their culture to a T. Not a lot of hustle and bustle going on in the office. At the end of the 1:1 interviews the internal recruiter picks you up and walks you out. When meeting with me he said he collected the feedback from most of the team already. I asked him if he could share it or if they would provide direct feedback to help me in future interviews. He responded they usually don't do that. (why tell me you got feedback already then?) All in all an ok interview process. They could have done a better job preparing candidates and screening upfront then wasting time bringing people in for short interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current position? Why work at Square? Tell me about your experience. General questions revolving around recruiting and process. Asked about what types of recruiting you want to focus on.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Square.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a week. Phone interview was bizarre. It felt extremely rushed and impersonal, lasting only 10 minutes. Surprised to find that I'd been invited onsite after what seemed to be a "let's just get this over with phone interview". Onsite was awesome, the other recruiters I met with were super friendly and I feel like they were genuinely interested in getting to know me and see if I was a good fit. Met my recruiter again at the end and felt like I was being rushed out the door. Overall a great experience, but with my recruiter I definitely felt a lack of "candidate as a first priority" credo that recruiters need to be successful in this industry.

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a Support team lead asking me to provide answers to a writing sample. After researching the Square support section and answering them, I submitted and sent them to him. I followed up and let the person know they were submitted, and nearly 2 weeks went by with no acknowledgement or update. I then emailed back asking if my answers were received and if I was or was not going to move forward. No answer. I do not mind if a position is no longer available for me, but not communicating it to me and ignoring my emails especially after I took the time to submit a writing sample was a bad look for this company, and not a practice that most other tech companies follow. (They are usually very good communicators with their applicants.)

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Square in July 2015.

Interview

Was very nervous at first about what I would be asked seeing as I hadn't interviewed in the past 3 years. I applied through a recruiter that then helped me schedule a Skype call with an engineer at square. I was afraid of the question I would be asked because I have read that the interview was very difficult. When presented with the question I was surprised because I was capable of solving it. There was a 45 min time limit and you were allotted 15 min at the end for questions. I was capable of solving the question but I took too long doing so and for this reason I failed. By the way I am a decent programmer and I think the question asked was very fair. Just make sure you do many practice problems so that you are quick on your toes when coding the solution.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Square (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online through Square's website. I was contacted by a recruiter from Square about the position. Had a short phone screen with that recruiter, who passed me onto a coordinator to set up a Skype interview with one of Square's engineers. The Skype interview was about 1 hour long. It was primarily focused on a problem with little to no introduction from the engineer. However, the engineer left time to make small talk about the company and myself. Received an rejection email about three days after the Skype interview. Overall, a pleasant interview process.

Interview Questions

• Which part/product of Square do you want to work on and why?   Answer Question

Build and Release Tools Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Square (Columbus, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

The first round was a telephonic interview that lasts about 35-45 minutes. Next is a Skype based interview with coding skills test for an hour - coderpad.io, using any preferred programming language. They ask to brush up CS fundamentals including algorithms etc before going for coding skills test.

Interview Questions

• Q. - Describe your current work role, the activities you performed. - Explain the last exciting issue that you encountered and how did you solve it? - What do you know about square and why square? -   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Square in June 2015.

Interview

First call was with recruiter to discuss my background. 2nd call with hiring manager who asked what feature I would want to build if I could build anything and deep dived into that. 3rd and 4th were via Google Hangout. 3rd interview with person on the team asked what feature I would launch and dove into the requirements gathering process. 4th interview was with marketing partner who asked questions around structuring pricing for a contract with a made up partner from the feature I suggested. I received a call from the recruiter the next day informing me other candidates had more experience in contracting which is the key area they were looking for. Overall it was a good experience. Everyone but the 3rd interviewer were very friendly and all were incredibly smart.

Interview Questions

• What is your superhuman power?   1 Answer
    • When do you partner vs when do you build?   1 Answer
    • If you could build anything, what would you build?   1 Answer

Some Operations Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I did multiple phone interviews with a recruiter. Then when in for the in person and ended up interviewing with 7 different people for a half hour or more each. Let me mention that most of these people lacked interview etiquette and only asked scripted questions. None of which seemed to be familiar with the role I was even there for and asked me questions about different roles and of I knew how to use certain software (I wasn't interviewing for a tech role either) and I answered honestly that I didn't know the aforementioned programs. The people that interviewed me seemed fresh out of college and must have felt high and mighty. They gave me time to ask questions and when I did they couldn't answer them. Then I get a call a few days ago saying I wasn't a good fit for the role and that they offered it to someone else, good, I was going to decline their offer anyways.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process involved me asking a friend in the company to pass along my resume. Then I got: Phone Call with internal recruiter --> phone call with head of product --> in person interviews

Interview Questions

• If you were to build X (in my case, adding line item refunds to Square Register), how would you do it? Take me through your process.   1 Answer

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Square.

Interview

Very thorough, organized process. It Took 3 hours and I spoke with 7 different people- some individually and some in a group to get a feel for the whole team. Very friendly atmosphere and I got a tour of the beautiful office. The interview felt very comfortable and I had a chance to ask a lot of questions too