Square Root

2 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Management Guru Interview

Austin, TX

I interviewed at Square Root in February 2012.

Interview Details – There were three phases to the interview process. The first was a very informal meeting in a group setting. The second was a series of interviews with key people in the company and on the team. The third was a fairly real world weekend assignment--open ended, yet a good indicator of what kind of work to expect, both from me and from Oceanus.

Throughout the process I continued to develop a good sense of the company's positive, engaging, and collaborative atmosphere and how I might fit in with it. The interviews were conversational, yet focused. Overall, I came out of the process with a great impression of the company.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was the one I liked the most--a customized weekend homework assignment. I wish this was a more common practice, when applicable. Told not to spend too much time on it, it was intended to be a quick barometer of how my experience translated into their environment beyond interview questions. From my perspective it also helped assure me that my own experience translated as well.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My current company proposed an unexpected, substantial counter.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Office Manager/Executive Assistant Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Square Root in January 2012.

Interview Details – Initial 30 minute interview set up via email. Emailed for invitation to interview the team. Was told to block off 2 hours but it took 2 1/2 due to disorganization and having to wait for late interviewer. Met with 4 people. Two of the 4 seamed rushed and distracted. Perception of the people: theword "frenetic" was used on multiple occasions and left a perception of a disorganized and workaholic culture. My impression was that they are a group of passionate people committed to what they do but are all too focused on their own projects to lift their head and take interest in each other. Witnessed a lack of interactive human element present because one interviewer said they certainly didn't have or want any "Chatty Cathy's" disturbing them while they were zoned in on the computer....walked directly past two of the interviewers upon exit and was ignored on the way out. Seemed to be a "sink or swim" environment where people are given a desk and left to fend for themselves with no direction. Seemed like they were hiring an office manager to "do" the culture for them because no one else wanted to contribute to it because they were all "too busy.". It also occurred as if they likely would not want to interact much with the person unless they needed something. Definitely did not seem like a "feel-good" place to work even though they described it as a "collaborative" environment.

Interview Question – Was asked to name a time when something blew up into a major mess at work and how I handled it.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Square Root? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Square Root interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Square Root employees and interview candidates.