Square Root Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2014

3.7

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Square Root in July 2014.

I was referred by staffing agency and they scheduled phone interview with me. After having phone interview for 45 minutes, Interviewer was very impressed as I answered all the questions correct. He complimented me and gave me hope directly about having knowledge of multiple skills. Next day I got email from my staffing agency that I was rejected for this position. I am not sure what they looking for. I was upset for the fact that they were dishonest and giving false hope to job seekers.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Square Root in February 2014.

First there was a phone screen for about 30 min. Followed by a home work assignment. They provided a fairly large fudged data set to analyze and provide some insights regarding top business in the set. Large amount of latitude was provided in technology used, methods employed and performance criteria used. Third was a in person interview where multiple people interviewed singly and in panels. Interview questions were interesting and reasonable predictors of success at the company.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. Folks were nice about the whole process, though the process lasted quite a while (over 4 weeks).   View Answer

Data Management Guru Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

interviewed at Square Root in February 2012.

There were three phases to the interview process. The first was a very informal meeting in a group setting. The second was a series of interviews with key people in the company and on the team. The third was a fairly real world weekend assignment--open ended, yet a good indicator of what kind of work to expect, both from me and from Oceanus.

Throughout the process I continued to develop a good sense of the company's positive, engaging, and collaborative atmosphere and how I might fit in with it. The interviews were conversational, yet focused. Overall, I came out of the process with a great impression of the company.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the one I liked the most--a customized weekend homework assignment. I wish this was a more common practice, when applicable. Told not to spend too much time on it, it was intended to be a quick barometer of how my experience translated into their environment beyond interview questions. From my perspective it also helped assure me that my own experience translated as well.   Answer Question

My current company proposed an unexpected, substantial counter.

Office Manager/Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Square Root in January 2012.

Initial 30 minute interview set up via email. Emailed for invitation to interview the team. Was told to block off 2 hours but it took 2 1/2 due to disorganization and having to wait for late interviewer. Met with 4 people. Two of the 4 seamed rushed and distracted. Perception of the people: theword "frenetic" was used on multiple occasions and left a perception of a disorganized and workaholic culture. My impression was that they are a group of passionate people committed to what they do but are all too focused on their own projects to lift their head and take interest in each other. Witnessed a lack of interactive human element present because one interviewer said they certainly didn't have or want any "Chatty Cathy's" disturbing them while they were zoned in on the computer....walked directly past two of the interviewers upon exit and was ignored on the way out. Seemed to be a "sink or swim" environment where people are given a desk and left to fend for themselves with no direction. Seemed like they were hiring an office manager to "do" the culture for them because no one else wanted to contribute to it because they were all "too busy.". It also occurred as if they likely would not want to interact much with the person unless they needed something. Definitely did not seem like a "feel-good" place to work even though they described it as a "collaborative" environment.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to name a time when something blew up into a major mess at work and how I handled it.   View Answer