Square

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.6

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Square.

sign up through university online and then get called in for an on site interview. before the on site interview, had to do a test online to code for certain functions. 1 hour long test of pure coding knowledge. can be coded in any language. then went to the on site interview. 2 hours long coding session

Interview Questions
  • How to code a program that gives you the day of the week given a date   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Square

Software Engineer Interview

Started with a phone screen in which an engineer asked the typical questions. Spent a day on-site working on pair coding problems and some design questions. Most of the people were fairly friendly and I liked the pair coding format. They let you use whatever language you are most comfortable programming in.

Interview Questions
    • In the interest of professionalism and confidentiality, I refuse to provide hints as to what they ask in their interviews. One thing that I would mention is that the interview was difficult, and included somewhat typical CS-related questions. Some of the questions were somewhat pointless and would be poor predictors of success at the company. Being completely devoted to Ruby on Rails is probably a better predictor of success at Square.   Answer Question
    They didn't budge a lot on the negotiation side.

Software Engineering Interview

Two phone interviews and one onsite. Recruiters were all friendly. One phone interviewer ditched me and no explanation was offered- simply had to reschedule again. At the onsite, I had trouble with one of the questions and the interviewer felt slightly adversarial. The second interviewer was actually worse- complaining about having to do interviews early Friday morning, was on his phone while I walked through and completed the question by myself (not sure why they bother to call this a pair programming interview?). Since they hold the "pair programming interviews" in a big room, another interviewee actually told me afterwards how rude it was that they could see my interviewer on the phone! He absolutely hated my Q&A questions at the end- apparently you can't ask them to answer to some criticisms of the company. Perhaps I should have felt it out better since he was clearly already in a bad mood and didn't want to be there, but come on! Overall, it really was a negative experience compared to other company onsites I've had.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Square.

I applied on Piazza by sending a message. They then gave me a coding challenge where I had to implement the count-out-loud sequence, which was fairly straight forward. Next I had an interview with an engineer. I had to implement an inorder tree iterator in java. I had a hiccup with it along the way which screwed me over.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Square.

Applied online and a recruiter contacted replied within a week. She asked me to complete a 1 hour Hackerrank online challenge within the next day. I was really busy, but still made time to complete it. I solved the question adequately and it passed every test case. I followed up but did not receive a response. Kind of rude on their part.

Interview Questions
    • Question was based on darts. You're given 2 players' throws as input and should output the result of the match. Hard to explain since the prompt was very long.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Square.

Applied online. First step was completing a coding challenge on HackerRank. Next was a one-hour phone screen. Interviewer seemed genuinely interested in my past projects. Spent first 10 minutes talking about current and past projects. Then did a coding question on a shared coding environment. The environment compiled and ran code so the code you write has to work. Unfortunately I didn't do so well during the phone screen and didn't make it past this stage.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Square in October 2014.

Applied via college/university. Recruiter reached out with a coding exam, which was pretty easy to solve. Next, a phone screen was scheduled, but I did not make it past this stage. The phone screen consisted of some resume questions and a programming question based on CoderPad, so the interviewer can watch you write your solution, though you are also free to implement your solution on an IDE first.

It does seem that they want people who can think of a good solution and code pretty quickly, and if you use API docs, that you use them properly by making the correct calls that are appropriate for what you want to do and that provide the best theoretical performance. The technical questions themselves weren't too bad, but they set the bar at a pretty high level for the solution that you deliver. So in this case, simply being able to deliver a workable solution isn't enough.

Interview Questions
    • In implementing the solution, the interviewer did ask how I could optimize my solution further. It was kind of a unique case.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Square.

I was selected for first round technical interview with Square through my local campus recruiter. The first round is a series of technical challenges on an online platform, HackerRank. They give you 3 days and 1 hours to complete their challenge up to a certain standard. Still waiting to hear back...

Software Engineer Interview

Short simple problems along with discussion, geared towards a complete rather than clever solution. Some very experienced interviewers that made for a pleasant experience. Set up as a "pairing" experience but without much direct help (as in normal pairing). Design questions were taken from the real world and very well chosen, it was clear the interviewers had a deeper knowledge about the subject and were open to variation.

Interview Questions
    • What day of the week was the Unix Epoch? (geared towards algorithm implementation)   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Square in May 2014.

Quick phone call followed by a coderpad-based interview done over Skype. The interview consists of the guy from Square giving you the problem statement, and I was expected to write a working solution - including test cases - which is compiled and run within coderpad. I had to do two of these because the first one was inconclusive.

The first problem I got was writing an arithmetic expression parser with only parentheses and the '+' sign. This was fairly straightforward. Then, he asked to parse a list of expressions instead of just one. Then, some expressions could reference others in the list (e.g. A3 + 1) which was as far as we got. I successfully wrote the code but I think he was displeased with my messy design as it was "patched through" on the initial design. Eventually the recruiter informed me that I need to do another coderpad session.

The second interview was much like the first. The problem this time was to write a class scheduler, where each class could have multiple time slots and we need to choose a combination of times so that we can take each class. I tried this time to focus on designing it properly in OO but it took so much time that I was only able to reach one evolution of the problem - return all possible arrangements instead of just the first. I haven't received an official response yet but I'm pretty sure I effed this one up as I was probably expected to reach at least step 3 or 4. Oh well..

Interview Questions
    • Overall, both problems were non-trivial and the requirement of writing working code + tests in a one hour interview makes this probably the toughest interview I've done to date. If you're doing this, make sure you are able to solve the above problems quickly and properly OO. Use python (or similar) to save some time on list comprehension. Good luck!   Answer Question