SquareTrade

Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.8

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SquareTrade in August 2014.

Cancelled my 1st interview on my way there and seemed unapologetic about it. Then when I interviewed the next week they seemed uninterested content with mediocrity. I felt like this was one big waste of my time and this company, although it has a good service, has a poor infrastructure with disgruntled employees.

Interview Questions

I was just amazed that this company actually saw it as less of a value for a person to add value. It really seemed like this company was ok existing in a vacuum. The marketing department does a great job painting an inaccurate picture of this organization. I would take a job at this company no matter how much they paid. Oh and the pay is LOW! You can tell alot about a company by the way they treat their guests. First off my initial interview was cancelled less than an hour before it was scheduled and they were not even apologetic about it. I actaully contacted them to see if we could proceed.

Then after getting there I wasn't offered a drink of water or anything until half way into the interview. To top it all off they were fairly unapologetic about what happened with my cancelled interview. The biggest turn off was that two of the individuals had their phones on vibrate and picked it up during the interview.

I felt as though I had a great deal to bring to the table to improve the organization and they seemed to shun that. One individual even debated with me that in a company that is growing as fast as they are that the manager should keep to task and not spend any strategic time.

To Top it off the pay range is extremely LOW!

No Thanks!

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SquareTrade.

Found on Craigslist. Initial response was fast with 30min phone screen. The interview was comprehensive. Met 4 people on first visit. Questions were technical in nature and social for a culture fit.

Interview Questions
    • Though not a difficult question, they did ask to resolve a current issue with a netapp filer. It ended up being a networking question and was straight forward to resolve.   Answer Question
    Straight forward with no little back and forth. It was a fair market offer inline with expectations

Technical Support Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SquareTrade in May 2014.

1. Submitted Resume on LinkedIn
    2. HR screened
    3. Scheduled Interview
    4. 3-4 Hour interview with customer service managers/line managers
    5. 2 Week Training (Very very easy and boring)

This is a fairly easy test

NO DRUG TEST!

Interview Questions
    • None, you would have to be very stupid not to be able to answer any of their questions   Answer Question
    $18.25, you won't get more for bilingual (trust me I tried with HR & managers).

NO DRUG TEST!

Accountant Interview

Great experience. Nice people and fantastic office.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SquareTrade.

Scheduling the interview was fine, but the interviewers were all running late. I suppose it was a busy day.

Senior Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SquareTrade.

I was contacted via email a few days after I submitted my resume. A few days after that I had a phone interview with the HR person. Typical questions about background and skills were asked.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked when I graduated college. Aren't they not supposed to ask that?   Answer Question

Entry Level Technical Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SquareTrade.

Applied online on their website and received a phone interview in about a week.
    By the end of the week was called in for an in-person interview.
    Met with a total of 5 people during the interview process and was told to wait until the end of the week for a response.

TV Technician/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SquareTrade in September 2013.

I contacted Square Trade in response to an online ad by sending in a cover letter and resume via email. About a week later I got a response email from their HR Recruiter, who set up a phone interview with me. After the phone interview was nearly over the recruiter said she was interested in pursuing my candidacy further and asked when I could come in for an in-person interview. She said their hiring time table was a little crunched so I would need to come in as soon as possible.

The in-person interview turned out to be 3 in-person interviews in succession, the first with a colleague from the team I would be working with and one of the team managers, the second with two higher up managers, and the third with one of the managers from a different team. All of them were very courteous and welcoming, and asked many of the same questions, but not to an extent I felt put on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Has there ever been an instance where you overrode company policy in favor of customer service?

2. Please describe yourself in three words
        View Answer
    Negotiation was mostly verbal, with a couple of edits to the cover letter before acceptance

Channel Manager: Training and Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SquareTrade in May 2013.

From the initial communication through the entire cycle of events that transpired during the interview and hiring process, I have never seen a better and more coordinated series of events. From the Director of Talent Aquisition through the entire team, the communication was seamless. I received a call to set up a 1 hour interview with the Sr. Manager. Immediately after I conversed with the Sr. Manager, I received a follow-up call from the DOTA with feedback from my interview. The entire process was scoped out for me at that point and all points have transpired. From the phone interviews to the in-person interview process to the timely feedback, I was at ease and able to focus on how my abilities would help the company grow.

Interview Questions
    • Salary is always a point of contention with prospective candidates. If I answer to high, will they look elsewhere? If I answer to low, will they go below market value? Instead of the question, it was proposed as more of a conversation. What am I making currently and what would my ideal salary be?   View Answer

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SquareTrade in October 2012.

My interview was set up by a recruiter. There was an initial phone interview with a Director-level SquareTrade employee, then about a week later an in person interview. The phone screen was standard for Silicon Valley: 30-60 minutes, both of us talked a fair amount, no hardball questions, mostly to get a feel for the candidate and the company.

The in person interview was also similar to a lot of Software companies: Three technical people interviewed me, plus I talked to the Director of HR. In all cases they solicited questions from me, told me about their role, their view of the company, expected direction, etc. They asked about my experience, how I would handle certain situations, and technologies with which I am familiar. One interviewer posed more technical questions than the others.

No one was pushy, arrogant or rude, or conducted an inquisition in terms of interview style. Everything happened punctually, from the first phone screen to the in person interview. Their answers to the questions I asked made me think SquareTrade is a good place to work, and is trying to manage its growth the right way.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked "soft" questions about the best way to implement a solution to a certain problem.   View Answer