Squarespace Interview Questions & Reviews

19 interviews

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Squarespace.

I submitted my resume on their website and heard back within a day or so (they were extremely prompt throughout the entire process). I was asked to do a video Q&A/v-log type thing, where I was asked to record myself answering three questions (Why Squarespace? What is hospitality? Favorite 90's Jam?). Each video gave you 30 seconds of prep-time, then 30-60 seconds to record your answer and you only get one shot at it.

A few days later I was asked to come in for an interview with two people, both of whom were really great. They mostly just wanted to know about you as a person, things like your skills, your hobbies and interests, that kind of thing.

Less than a week later I received a call back with an offer, which I was absolutely thrilled to accept.

Interview Questions
    • What did you find the most difficult when you were using Squarespace?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they tell you what the pay will be ahead of time.

Engineering Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Squarespace.

The online portion was fantastic. The test itself did rely on some puzzles that required to think outside the box.

On the other hand, the on-site interview was quite underwhelming. Certainly, it makes sense to test the questions that they required. However, when a company touts that they are competing with Google and Facebook for talent, one can easily see that Squarespace certainly sets a much different and much lower bar for engineering. The questions asked would never be able to gauge much besides an individual's bare minimum ability to do the job.

Every company does have their interview process. However, I wouldn't place this company at the caliber of tech giants, but certainly above many startups.

Interview Questions
    • Perhaps making the tests pass in the online portion was the hardest part.   Answer Question

Supervisor Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Squarespace in May 2014.

I applied online in February and was contacted about 3 weeks later by a recruiter from NY who explained they were still hiring for managers then would contact me for an interview when that person was hired. End of April I got an email to complete the vlog interview which consisted of 4-5 questions. You get about 30 seconds to prep for each answer and just one take at recording it so get your notes ready before you start the process. Standard questions: What are traits of a strong supervisor? Your strengths and weaknesses? Also a more personal and off-the-wall question as many other reviewers have mentioned.

Two weeks later I got another email to complete the online assessment and typing test. The typing test is from an online site and you post your score so don't stress over this one (unless you are not a good typist, then you might be looking in the wrong field). The online assessment was fairly detailed so do your homework ahead of time:
    There are a few questions about how you would handle specific scenarios in the workplace.
    What is the difference between Squarespace 5 and 6?
    What are the steps to log in to your Squarespace site?
    How would you go about changing the color of your navigation links?
    Which countries have the ability to sell products through Squarespace Commerce?
    Name 5 types of blocks that can be added on your site.
    Name 5 types of pages that can be added to your site.

Two weeks later I was contacted by a recruiter to come in for an in-person interview the following week. That interview was with two employees consisting of standard interview questions: How does your experience relate? What can you bring to the team? Also a few more tech-based questions: Where do you go for your tech news?
    I left that interview feeling great, thought I might be a good personality match. Got an email the following week that they decided not to move forward.
    Even though I was not offered the position, it was a positive experience, I don't have anything negative to say other than the length of time the whole thing took to then get rejected. They seem to be looking for something specific and I was not that person... gl

Interview Questions
    • In vlog, was asked to name three companies that provide great service. It wasn't hard, just unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Squarespace in May 2014.

The process started with a video "interview," in which I had to record answers to several standard interview questions. A week later, they followed up with a typing test and several written questions. A week after that, they invited me into the office for an in-person interview. It seemed to go well, and they promised to get back to me within a few days. Finally, after one more week went by, they sent me a form e-mail "declining to proceed" with my candidacy.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Squarespace in November 2013.

I applied online and received an e-mail the next day with more information on the position and an opportunity for a Skype interview.

My interviewer called my phone instead, which wasn't a problem, but it was slightly confusing, as I had been waiting for 20 minutes on Skype. After the phone interview, I moved onto an online skills assessment. From there, the recruiter offered me an opportunity to interview in person at the office. Unfortunately, they rescheduled twice because of conflicts on their end. It's understandable that things come up, but I had to wonder if the whole process was unorganized or if this was just the case for me.

During my in-person interview, I met with the person who had interviewed me via phone as well as one of his colleagues. He asked nearly the same questions in-person as he did on the phone, which surprised me slightly, as I'd already gone into great detail on the phone. He didn't seem to remember anything that we chatted about on the phone. I know he must interview a lot of people, but in the future, notes would be helpful.

A week after the interview, I received an e-mail saying that Squarespace had decided no to move forward with my candidacy.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you unique? With which breed of dog do you most associate? What is your favorite holiday and why? As you've been at your current position for such a short time, what makes you certain that you won't leave us after only a short time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Squarespace in May 2014.

I applied online in March and they reached out via email to let me know that they were interested, but their Portland office was in the process of getting set up. A month later I was contacted to do a video interview. The vlog was three questions with 60 seconds prep and 30 seconds to answer the questions. A lot harder than I expected it to be. Not the questions, but the talking to no one and recording yourself part.

After a couple of weeks I was asked to take an online assessment. I was familiar with Squarespace, so it wasn't too difficult. Many questions and scenarios regarding how you would solve workplace disputes and then a section on using the platform itself. It was about a week and a half later that I was contacted to schedule an in-person interview.

The workplace is super casual. My interviewers were in denim, khakis, a t-shirt, and a casual button up. Definitely speaks to the tech culture. Regular interview questions asking about my customer service background followed up by a more casual section. It went really well.

I was contacted by the end of the week and have accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • How do you know that you have been successful in your current position?   Answer Question
    Hourly wage was non-negotiable. Was actually stated in the email before my in-person interview.

Customer Care Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Squarespace.

The company seems to be growing pretty rapidly and are currently undergoing a mass hire. I found their ad on Craigslist and sent my cover letter and and resume via Jobvite. I received a response via Jobvite asking to do a video interview. I logged on and answered three questions. I should note that this wasn't a Skype interview, it was similar to creating a vlog. About a week or so after that I received an email from someone at Squarespace asking to me complete an online assessment due in 24 hours. It took me about 3 hours. They generally want to see how much you know about the product and how you would interact with customers and potential co-workers. I then received an email a few days later asking to come in for a face to face interview. I met with one of the training coordinators and the scheduling coordinator. They asked basic interview questions, followed by more personal questions, such as "What's your favorite genre of music?" " What was the last album you listened to in it's entirety?"

No negotiable salary,

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Squarespace.

First was a phone interview what was actually supposed to be a Skype interview, but ended up just calling me. Normal interview questions, mixed with fun ones. Like: What's the last song you listened to? What color would you be if you could be one?

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult must explain how you problem solve and deal with conflict.   View Answers (2)
    No Negotiation

Customer Care Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Squarespace.

My experience began with being contacted by a recruiter. We had set up a time to interview and I was told I would be contacted by phone by someone in that department. When the time for the interview came, I never received a call. I then followed up the recruiter and attempted to reschedule. I never received a response. I waited until the next week and followed up a second time and received a reply to set up an interview with the recruiter instead. Once on the phone with the recruiter, I was told several excuses for why I never received the first call from the original interviewer which I felt was very unprofessional.

The interview went very well. The recruiter I spoke with was very nice and provided a lot of good information about the company and the industry.

Once the interview was over I was told we would set up an interview with the original interviewer at some point in the next 2 weeks if they decided to move forward. I followed up 2 weeks later after not hearing back, and got no response. I waited another week and followed up again, and finally got a response saying they were not going to move forward with any additional interviews.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very general interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Social Media & Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Squarespace in July 2012.

At Squarespace, their cache is cool ... and don't you forget it. Marketed as a "drag and drop" software platform they're unveiling a new version that will hopefully give them better traction against competitors like Wix, Weebly, and literally dozens of other software providers. The company was looking for a social media and content manager to help them market to the "creative" market. Unfortunately, no one on the team could be considered either creative, nor had the interest in being a brand ambassador.

To be clear, I did not receive an offer, which in this economy is not surprising. What I found negative about the experience is that although they asked for additional information, one phone interview, three in-person interviews, and I provided a detailed 10-page marketing plan for the company, they never bothered to email contact me to not offer me the position. I suspect that much of my content will show up in Squarespace marketing initiatives because I left my marketing plan there for them to "consider" not steal.

At this point, I'd urge any other applicant to not waste their time putting any extra effort into their application. I'd also urge the creative marketplace to keep their $8 for a Chipotle burrito and keep their site on Wordpress. I'd rate the interview two middle fingers ... straight up.

Interview Questions
    • What interest do you have in our target market and how would you market to them?   Answer Question

Worked for Squarespace? Contribute to the Community!