St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Marketing Communications Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

The process took a day - interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in June 2010.

After completing my MBA, St. Jude ALSAC was at the top of my list of potential employers. Their mission is inspiring and truly something I am passionate about. I was aware that the interview process could take 4-6 weeks, so I was prepared for a long wait. And that's exactly what I got!

One month after my resume submittal, I was contacted by the hiring manager and over the next several weeks of back-and-forth emails, we scheduled 2 separate phone interviews with 4 people. Both were about 30 minutes each, the questions were personality-focused and not too in-depth. Both interviews went very well and I received highly complimentary responses from all via email. I kept in touch with the hiring manager regularly via email over the next month and was then invited to Memphis for a half-day interview with 10 people. It was a rather draining experience, but it went wonderfully and I was pleased. They ask a lot of behavioral questions - nothing too complex. Just be ready to speak in length, with confidence, about your experiences. I spoke with the hiring manager the day after the interview and again a few days later to share my portfolio and recommendation letters.

Here's where it gets strange. 2 weeks go by without any contact. I sent the hiring manager a brief email to check in to which she responded several days later thanking me for my patience as they review candidates. She also noted that they were going through a reorg and the hiring process was going to take longer than expected. A MONTH goes by with no word. I send another email to check in, state my continued interest and ask how the hiring process is coming along.... and I never heard back. No rejection letter - nothing. This was several months ago. The job is still posted on their website and to my knowledge, the hiring manger still works there.

Obviously, I am disappointed by the total lack of response. I find this lack of professionalism alarming if it is any indication of how the organization is run.

In summary, the interview process is thorough and engaging, but the post-interview management is exceptionally amateurish -- especially coming from a "world renowned" brand.

I accepted another job with a wonderful company - no small feat in this economy, I know -- but the sting of this interview process has continued to nag at me. Thanks for the opportunity to share! Hang in there, job seekers :)

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time that you performed poorly.   View Answer

Worked for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital? Contribute to the Community!