St. Jude Medical Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2014
Updated Oct 18, 2014

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at St. Jude Medical.

Follows the typical industry standard, that is, HR interview to manager interview to group interview to peer interview and etc.

Not much room.

Desktop Tech Interview

Interview was pretty basic. Asked experience and what i would do in certain situations. Nothing intense at all.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions relating to networking were most difficult.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Clinicals Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at St. Jude Medical.

Interesting interview. No questions about execution, skill set, qualifications. All about my motives for interest and what I would do with the job despite giving very little information about the challenges of the role.

Interview Questions
    • What process changes would you consider coming into the role?   View Answer
    Yes, but through a recruiter

Clinical Research Associate (Field) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at St. Jude Medical.

I applied online and received a phone call about 2 weeks later from an HR Scheduler. We set up a teleconference 2 days later with a Hiring Manager. The conversation was light and easy - just discussion of background and experience. I was invited to LA the following week for a few face to face interviews. I took 2.5 days of PTO to travel to LA one night, interview the next day for 1.5 hrs and a flight back that evening - the travel plans were not relayed to me until 8:50 PM EST the day before my travel. The interviewers were friendly and did not ask any behavioral questions. They spent a lot of time discussing St. Jude's recent layoffs and lead recalls and I spent a lot of time listening. They asked some questions regarding my background then rushed me from one person to the next. HR was so busy, I didn't even get the opportunity to meet with them or hand them my paper application/background check info/etc. So they promised an answer by the next Monday. Monday came and went...I left a voice mail with HR and no one returned the call. Tuesday I finally reached my original HR contact who informed me that they already extended an offer to someone else. It would have been courteous to inform me that I was not selected, instead of having to investigate myself.

Overall, friendly folks...poor communication. It would have also been nice if they selected their top candidate and flew them to LA to interview as opposed to bringing 3 of us out for 1 position.

CRMD Development Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sylmar, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at St. Jude Medical.

Contacted by recruiter/hiring manager directly, phone interview initially, pretty standard. Asked about previous projects/research. Followed up by group interview (over the phone) with the other engineers in the team.

Group interview much more laid-back, just trying to gauge interest and personality fit. Offer received through recruiter shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions about basic mechanical engineering principles (engineering fit, statics, etc.)   Answer Question
    No negotiation - firm offer set per education grade (bachelors, masters, Ph.D. all get their own rate). Nice benefits (housing, relocation, no health insurance)

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at St. Jude Medical.

HR was friendly and communicated very well. When I started I came in for a more entry level position and had 4 or 5 interviews all the way up to the group VP. I believe everyone I interviewed with is no longer there but the process was really the same as other companies.

No negotiation

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in August 2012.

Phone interview. A company recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. He called me next day and asked if I would be interested in the position. I said yes. He e-mailed me a few questions regarding what I've done in the past and I responded with 3-4 sentences for each questions. It looked like it was sufficient and he asked for a phone interview.

The phone interview was quite easy - he also asked questions of what I've done in the past, how many years I worked in medical device industry, why am I looking for a job at St.Jude, what is the most challenging part of my job. I left confident I had adequate answers to all of his questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult AND unexpected question was what is my current pay rate (I am a contractor at another major medical device company). I di not want to give his the exact number but asked what is the salary range for the job position. His response was from $100 to $130K. I replied that my rate lies exactly in the middle of this range. However he insisted that I need to give his the exact number. I tried to give him a range what I would be interested in. Again he insisted I give him the rate otherwise I will have a problem getting the next interview.   View Answer

Medical Assembly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

A recruiter assistant set up an appointment for me for the exam. There's a 4part pre- qualifying exam for reading comprehension, math, manual dexterity and microscope. It took 3hrs. for me to complete the exam. An onsite recruiter interviewed me after the exam and told me to wait for few weeks for a job offer. After 3 weeks I got a call from my recruiter that I will be going for an interview with the hiring manager. During the interview with the hiring manager he toured me inside the cleanroom while we discuss everything about the job. It took 2.5hrs.! The next day my recruiter called me and told me the hiring manager extended a long term job offer for me.

Interview Questions
    • The 4 part pre-qualifying exam is difficult. You need to get 100% for reading comprehension before you can advance to math and should pass the rest too!   Answer Question
    Through recruiter.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sylmar, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in June 2012.

Telephone interview through a third party vendor that supplies contract-to-hire positions. I was interviewed by this third party, and the interview went well. This was initially a request to help them with media and ipad content so they inquired about what kind of experience I had with multimedia and mobile platforms.

Interview Questions
    The job salary requirement was originally low ($75K), however since my last job I was being paid north of experience$100k they compromised and met me at $90K. That was a very reapectful geture.

Hardware Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sylmar, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in June 2012.

1. Phone interview with hiring manager
    2. Phone interview with another senior engineer
    3. Onsite interview (8:00am to 2:30pm) including 5 interviewers in the morning, lunch/Tour with hiring manager, 2 interviewers in the afternoon. All are one to one interviews. Half hour for each and one and half hour for lunch/tour.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewers includes HR, two directors, one senior director, a group leader, two senior engineers. Except HR, all talks focus on technical questions, including OP Amp, basic circuits, RF system knowledge, types of antenna, details for projects that I'm involved in and other details around resume.   Answer Question