St. Jude Medical

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Engineer Interview

Product Engineer
Sylmar, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in March 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interviews - 1 phone with recruiter, 1 phone with manager, 1 in person with 6 team members and manager during a day in Sylmar,CA. There also asked me to give them a technical interview about any topic.
Interview was pretty basic. Asked experience and what i would do in certain situations. Nothing intense at all. They focused a lot of projects and any experience

Interview Question – What is your weakness? what is your strength? How much do you know about this position and our product and also some question about programming skills and data base.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Product Marketing Manager
Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in October 2009.

Interview Details – The process starts by submitting a requisition to HR, the job then gets posted and resumes are collected both through the SJM website and recruiters utilize multiple resources to present qualified candidates - who are pre-screened prior to presentation to the hiring manager. Candidates can expect about 4 rounds of interview, including recruiter, hiring manager, senior managers and local leadership.

Interview Question – How do your qualifications apply to this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Positions availability is based on budget, so things like manipulating title and vacation are more likely to be on the table than salary.

Director Interview

Director
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in June 2009.

Interview Details – SJM has a few recruitment firms they utilize but your best bet is to get referred by someone who already works there (i.e. Nice employee referral program at SJM!) If you get a hiring manager's attention for a position they are looking to fill .. you will get a phone call or e-mail from an internal recruiter to do an initial phone screen. If you get throught that and are interested in the position ... you will then get a phone interview from a hiring manager or someone on their team to check you out technically or for subject matter expertise. If you get through that ... you will likely then get the corporate HR stuff and benefit information sent to you ... along with a chance to come in for an interview.

Some SJM Managers and Directors are terrible at interviewing and filtering so these recruiters are important. Don't be a jerk to them but understand like in most companies they are the "filters" and nothing pisses off a hiring Manager or Director more than wasting their time doing an interview with someone who has no chance of getting the job or has really over-sold themselves and is not qualified for the position. SJM is selective and don't apply if you are not confident, real good at what you do, and want to work for a Med Device firm. Expect lots of tough questions throughout the hiring process, and do your homework. Go to SJM on-line, Goolgle them, and Google the hiring manager to see if you can learn more about them. Most recruiters do a good job of meeting with the hiring manager to understand what they are looking for in their openings. You will not BS your way through this first step so get prepared!

If you get through the first 1 or 2 phone screens they normally have you come in for face to face interviews at the hiring location manager's site. Many positions are not where there manager works but that is normally where you will interview. Interviews are normally team interviews for management positions and multiple 1-1 interviews for technology, engineering, and sales positions. Expect a few hours of interviews before they are all done. They are terribly slow to get back to you and HR will try to get you not to contact the people who interviewed you or the hiring manager. Don't listen to them and do follow up with the hiring manager or interview team by e-mail!!! Nobody answers their phone at SJM ... and 99% of all outside calls are set up to go to voice messages!!!! Short and positive e-mails after the interview are expected and if the person you send it to doesn't respond ... relax! It probably takes 2-3 weeks after the initial interview to determine next steps and for most positions there will be 3-5 candidates brought in for interviews. It takes time to get through that and decide which 1-2 they want to bring back for a final interview. Be e-mail savvy don't respond more than 2-3 times and if you don't get a response that doesn't mean they are not interested.

Final interviews are normally with the hiring manager and maybe their Manager/Director/VP. The recruiter is also usually the last person they have you meet with to find out how interested you are after the interview process is complete. Be honest and ask questions about the people you interviewed with and describe why you think the job is the right fit for you and what you think you can do to meet expectations for the position. The recruiter will normally take that feedback to the hiring manager with their recommendation as well before a decision is made. Most offers come a day or two after the final interview. Normally all the candidates who interviewed but didn't get the job get a "thanks but no thanks" e-mail from the recruiter after SJM has an accepted offer. It is not uncommon for the first choice to pass on the offer and the second choice to accept the position ... so they normally don't tell you that you didn't get the position until they get an accepted offer.

Offers are normally made verbally by the recruiter or sometime the hiring manager and then followed up with a written offer sent by the recruiter. If you want to try to negotiate if you get an offer ... you may want to respond with a few questions to the recruiter or hiring manager about "ranges" of salary for this type of position and possibilities for any additional options or bonus percentage. "Work Perks" and extra vacation are not things normally granted ... I would stick to pay, bonus or stock if you want to try to get more up front. Once you get the final written offer ... it will be more diffcult to negotiate so doing it live with the hiring manager when the offer comes might be best. Recruiters can't approve any changes to the offer ... only the hiring manager can. Be ready for this and understand the market and how your experience, education, and specific expertise justify what you are asking for. They won't over pay to get you ... but it never hurts to ask if there if there is anything more they can offer you!

Interview Question – What makes you the best candidate for this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I got the salary, bonus, and stock I expected because I had researched the market, SJM, and leveraged my contacts within SJM to know what to expect. I was prepared to get the offer and when I got it I only negotiated on the bonus percentage and got an additional 5%. I did this negotiation with the hiring VP not HR.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Programmer Analyst
Sylmar, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in June 2012.

Interview Details – Telephone interview through a third party vendor that supplies contract-to-hire positions. I was interviewed by this third party, and the interview went well. This was initially a request to help them with media and ipad content so they inquired about what kind of experience I had with multimedia and mobile platforms.

Interview Question – Can you program Augmented Reality?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The job salary requirement was originally low ($75K), however since my last job I was being paid north of experience$100k they compromised and met me at $90K. That was a very reapectful geture.

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Unix Systems Administrator

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at St. Jude Medical.

Interview Details – I had one interview which was friendly but quite probing. These are experienced professionals and they know quite well who they are talking to.

Interview Question – What's the difference between a SAN and a NAS?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at St. Jude Medical.

Interview Details – Follows the typical industry standard, that is, HR interview to manager interview to group interview to peer interview and etc.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room.

SAP Business Analyst Interview

SAP Business Analyst
Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed at St. Jude Medical in February 2011.

Interview Details – 3 interviews - 1 phone with recruiter, 1 phone with manager, 1 in person with 3 team members and manager one at a time

Negotiation Details – Easy

Desktop Tech Interview

Desktop Tech

Interviewed at St. Jude Medical

Interview Details – Interview was pretty basic. Asked experience and what i would do in certain situations. Nothing intense at all.

Interview Question – Technical questions relating to networking were most difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Intern Interview

Intern
Cal Poly SLO, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had an interview with St. Jude medical and they were pretty nice and easy to talk to. They focused a lot of projects and any experience in product development and design. They really love it if you have a strong EE or ME background. The interview consisted of personal information, school related projects, a series of technical questions, and some brain teasers. It lasted for about 30-40 minutes.

Interview Question – Technical questions about basic mechanical engineering principles (engineering fit, statics, EE, etc.)   Answer Question

Clinicals Interview

Clinicals

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at St. Jude Medical.

Interview Details – Interesting interview. No questions about execution, skill set, qualifications. All about my motives for interest and what I would do with the job despite giving very little information about the challenges of the role.

Interview Question – What process changes would you consider coming into the role?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, but through a recruiter