St. Jude Medical Interview Questions in Minnesota

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

R&D Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Canada, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Canada, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at St. Jude Medical.

The interview was meticulously scheduled, and I met with six different people in 4 interviews (all in a two hour span). I thought that the interview went well, all the interviewers were nice and easy to talk to. The atmosphere of the company seems like they are recoiling from previous problems with upper level management restructuring.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical questions in this interview, other than to ask what type of lab equipment I had worked with in the past. Most questions were behavioral in nature.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in April 2014.

Very exhaustive interview process for this position that took over 2 months. Interviewed with several stakeholders and a few c-suite execs. Very good and through process. Very good group of interviewers.

Outside Retained recruiter Screen: 1 phone call
    Outside Retained recruited In-person: 2 interviews
    Phone Interview at St. Jude: 8 Phone interview
    In person in Plymouth: 6 interviews
    In Person in Austin: 8 interviews

Conversational interview on background, why SJM, why this role, industry, trends, health economics, aco, etc .

Other opportunity.

Commodity Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in August 2013.

Phone Screen-- Straight forward 30 min. question and answer with an HR rep.

On site interviews -- Located at corporate headquarters. 4 interviews scheduled, 3 people were able to attend.

1) Interview with Quality Engineer: There was nothing asked that was too challenging during this or any of the interviews.

2) Prospective Supervisor-- Very to-the-point. Couple questions that started off, "what would you do if...". Wish we had more time.

3) Commodity Manager-- Potential peer. Very serious and seemed stressed out. Asked an obscure technical question that I didn't reply well to. This ended up costing me the position.

HR called me back for a meeting with the boss' boss then called back to say "just kidding".

Interview Questions
    • A question about circuit boards since I had bought electrical products in the past.   Answer Question

Medical Assembly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in July 2013.

Set-up meeting with recruiter. Do a group test. 4 part test, reading, math, dexterity, and microscope. Takes approx 3+ hours. Reading has only 7 question, if you read the manual you will find the answer, Math was just add, subtract, multiply, divide, and fractions, Dexterity, was putting 4 different pieces together for 1 minute to see how fast you put together things, Microscope, look through microscope to see the accepted and rejected ones. Met with recruiter and did a mini interview which was easy. Expect a phone call in 2 weeks to meet with supervisor. Should take only about an 1+ hour but testing with other people can take long.

Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in April 2013.

The Hiring/interview prosess was very quick and I'am really happy with the job i got hired for

Easy and quick

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in August 2012.

Phone interview. A company recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. He called me next day and asked if I would be interested in the position. I said yes. He e-mailed me a few questions regarding what I've done in the past and I responded with 3-4 sentences for each questions. It looked like it was sufficient and he asked for a phone interview.

The phone interview was quite easy - he also asked questions of what I've done in the past, how many years I worked in medical device industry, why am I looking for a job at St.Jude, what is the most challenging part of my job. I left confident I had adequate answers to all of his questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult AND unexpected question was what is my current pay rate (I am a contractor at another major medical device company). I di not want to give his the exact number but asked what is the salary range for the job position. His response was from $100 to $130K. I replied that my rate lies exactly in the middle of this range. However he insisted that I need to give his the exact number. I tried to give him a range what I would be interested in. Again he insisted I give him the rate otherwise I will have a problem getting the next interview.   View Answer

Medical Assembly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at St. Jude Medical.

A recruiter assistant set up an appointment for me for the exam. There's a 4part pre- qualifying exam for reading comprehension, math, manual dexterity and microscope. It took 3hrs. for me to complete the exam. An onsite recruiter interviewed me after the exam and told me to wait for few weeks for a job offer. After 3 weeks I got a call from my recruiter that I will be going for an interview with the hiring manager. During the interview with the hiring manager he toured me inside the cleanroom while we discuss everything about the job. It took 2.5hrs.! The next day my recruiter called me and told me the hiring manager extended a long term job offer for me.

Interview Questions
    • The 4 part pre-qualifying exam is difficult. You need to get 100% for reading comprehension before you can advance to math and should pass the rest too!   Answer Question
    Through recruiter.

Senior Quality Engineer - Design Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in September 2011.

The process began with an HR screen. Within the industry I think the SJM Talent Acquisition agents are the most helpful and really sell the company well. It was a pretty general screen which I went through for a few different positions and they blur together. I received a few toughish questions indicating that some of the TA agents actually knew a bit about the products/positions in question, but the majority of the questions were the obvious checks that you are confident, want the job, and you are who you say you are.

Step two was an in-person interview where I met with the hiring manager and a handful of engineers and managers. Each meeting was 1:1. Most were personality and resume-based interviews with the exception of one think-outside-the-box, somewhat technical interview. Once again the interviews appeared to go favorably.

I was called back for another round of face-to-face interviews on site. I met with the hiring manager once again who said they were looking to hire multiple DA Engineer positions and couldn't tell me for which project in particular they thought I may be best suited for. This makes the interview process vague and difficult. Anyhow I met with another round of managers and engineers and answered their personality and background questions admirably. Later that week I was given a competing offer and accepted. I informed the hiring manager to that effect so i'm not sure if there were to be any further interviews or if that was the end.

Overall I thought the interview process was on the easy side, but I also didn't get to the point of obtaining an offer. It did seem like a long drawn-out process however. I was surprised they went right from the screen to multiple in-person interviews and then surprised again when I needed to go back...and they weren't even bringing me back gunning for a specific position, almost like they didn't have a clear handle on their business needs at the time. I did encounter a couple scheduling glitches setting up interviews, but I assume that is just a symptom of big business. The employees were for the most part very friendly. Once again more-so than I saw at other interviews - maybe it's the "Minnesota nice". It seemed like it would be a fairly relaxed work environment, but I can't factually comment on that.

Interview Questions
    • How would you define fraud?   View Answer
    • Something similar to: You have 7 baskets and 15 eggs. How many ways can you put the eggs in the baskets? Eggs must be grouped in odd numbers.   View Answer

Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in March 2011.

phone interview was followed by in person interview, followed by a second round in person interview, followed by an extensive background check including credit check, review of academic credentials, check with previous employers, and criminal and driving history background, phone interview with human resources, drug test, and phone call.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at St. Jude Medical in March 2011.

The resume for the position was selected from the career fair. It was followed up by a phone interview. This follows an on site interview. The phone interview is usually setup by the HR. He/She calls and fixes up a time where a technical lead will contact you regarding the position. Once scheduled, the lead will ask you some basic questions, which decide whether to bring you on site or not. Once on site, you will have 4-5 rounds of grilling of hardware questions in different fields. Mostly one can expect a solid RF round, Analog Design, Design with Verilog/ digital logic.

Interview Questions
    • How would you differentiate parasitic capacitance in a band pass filter which acts as a low pass.   Answer Question

They take too long to decide and not worth all the pain. Offer a lesser pay compared to others.