St. Jude Medical Interview Questions & Reviews in Minnesota

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Plymouth, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in April 2014.

Very exhaustive interview process for this position that took over 2 months. Interviewed with several stakeholders and a few c-suite execs. Very good and through process. Very good group of interviewers.

Outside Retained recruiter Screen: 1 phone call
    Outside Retained recruited In-person: 2 interviews
    Phone Interview at St. Jude: 8 Phone interview
    In person in Plymouth: 6 interviews
    In Person in Austin: 8 interviews

Conversational interview on background, why SJM, why this role, industry, trends, health economics, aco, etc .

Other opportunity.

R&D Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Little Canada, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Little Canada, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at St. Jude Medical.

The interview was meticulously scheduled, and I met with six different people in 4 interviews (all in a two hour span). I thought that the interview went well, all the interviewers were nice and easy to talk to. The atmosphere of the company seems like they are recoiling from previous problems with upper level management restructuring.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical questions in this interview, other than to ask what type of lab equipment I had worked with in the past. Most questions were behavioral in nature.   Answer Question

Commodity Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in August 2013.

Phone Screen-- Straight forward 30 min. question and answer with an HR rep.

On site interviews -- Located at corporate headquarters. 4 interviews scheduled, 3 people were able to attend.

1) Interview with Quality Engineer: There was nothing asked that was too challenging during this or any of the interviews.

2) Prospective Supervisor-- Very to-the-point. Couple questions that started off, "what would you do if...". Wish we had more time.

3) Commodity Manager-- Potential peer. Very serious and seemed stressed out. Asked an obscure technical question that I didn't reply well to. This ended up costing me the position.

HR called me back for a meeting with the boss' boss then called back to say "just kidding".

Interview Questions
    • A question about circuit boards since I had bought electrical products in the past.   Answer Question

Medical Assembly Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in July 2013.

Set-up meeting with recruiter. Do a group test. 4 part test, reading, math, dexterity, and microscope. Takes approx 3+ hours. Reading has only 7 question, if you read the manual you will find the answer, Math was just add, subtract, multiply, divide, and fractions, Dexterity, was putting 4 different pieces together for 1 minute to see how fast you put together things, Microscope, look through microscope to see the accepted and rejected ones. Met with recruiter and did a mini interview which was easy. Expect a phone call in 2 weeks to meet with supervisor. Should take only about an 1+ hour but testing with other people can take long.

Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in April 2013.

The Hiring/interview prosess was very quick and I'am really happy with the job i got hired for

Easy and quick

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in June 2009.

SJM has a few recruitment firms they utilize but your best bet is to get referred by someone who already works there (i.e. Nice employee referral program at SJM!) If you get a hiring manager's attention for a position they are looking to fill .. you will get a phone call or e-mail from an internal recruiter to do an initial phone screen. If you get throught that and are interested in the position ... you will then get a phone interview from a hiring manager or someone on their team to check you out technically or for subject matter expertise. If you get through that ... you will likely then get the corporate HR stuff and benefit information sent to you ... along with a chance to come in for an interview.

Some SJM Managers and Directors are terrible at interviewing and filtering so these recruiters are important. Don't be a jerk to them but understand like in most companies they are the "filters" and nothing pisses off a hiring Manager or Director more than wasting their time doing an interview with someone who has no chance of getting the job or has really over-sold themselves and is not qualified for the position. SJM is selective and don't apply if you are not confident, real good at what you do, and want to work for a Med Device firm. Expect lots of tough questions throughout the hiring process, and do your homework. Go to SJM on-line, Goolgle them, and Google the hiring manager to see if you can learn more about them. Most recruiters do a good job of meeting with the hiring manager to understand what they are looking for in their openings. You will not BS your way through this first step so get prepared!

If you get through the first 1 or 2 phone screens they normally have you come in for face to face interviews at the hiring location manager's site. Many positions are not where there manager works but that is normally where you will interview. Interviews are normally team interviews for management positions and multiple 1-1 interviews for technology, engineering, and sales positions. Expect a few hours of interviews before they are all done. They are terribly slow to get back to you and HR will try to get you not to contact the people who interviewed you or the hiring manager. Don't listen to them and do follow up with the hiring manager or interview team by e-mail!!! Nobody answers their phone at SJM ... and 99% of all outside calls are set up to go to voice messages!!!! Short and positive e-mails after the interview are expected and if the person you send it to doesn't respond ... relax! It probably takes 2-3 weeks after the initial interview to determine next steps and for most positions there will be 3-5 candidates brought in for interviews. It takes time to get through that and decide which 1-2 they want to bring back for a final interview. Be e-mail savvy don't respond more than 2-3 times and if you don't get a response that doesn't mean they are not interested.

Final interviews are normally with the hiring manager and maybe their Manager/Director/VP. The recruiter is also usually the last person they have you meet with to find out how interested you are after the interview process is complete. Be honest and ask questions about the people you interviewed with and describe why you think the job is the right fit for you and what you think you can do to meet expectations for the position. The recruiter will normally take that feedback to the hiring manager with their recommendation as well before a decision is made. Most offers come a day or two after the final interview. Normally all the candidates who interviewed but didn't get the job get a "thanks but no thanks" e-mail from the recruiter after SJM has an accepted offer. It is not uncommon for the first choice to pass on the offer and the second choice to accept the position ... so they normally don't tell you that you didn't get the position until they get an accepted offer.

Offers are normally made verbally by the recruiter or sometime the hiring manager and then followed up with a written offer sent by the recruiter. If you want to try to negotiate if you get an offer ... you may want to respond with a few questions to the recruiter or hiring manager about "ranges" of salary for this type of position and possibilities for any additional options or bonus percentage. "Work Perks" and extra vacation are not things normally granted ... I would stick to pay, bonus or stock if you want to try to get more up front. Once you get the final written offer ... it will be more diffcult to negotiate so doing it live with the hiring manager when the offer comes might be best. Recruiters can't approve any changes to the offer ... only the hiring manager can. Be ready for this and understand the market and how your experience, education, and specific expertise justify what you are asking for. They won't over pay to get you ... but it never hurts to ask if there if there is anything more they can offer you!

Interview Questions
    • What makes you the best candidate for this position?   View Answer
    I got the salary, bonus, and stock I expected because I had researched the market, SJM, and leveraged my contacts within SJM to know what to expect. I was prepared to get the offer and when I got it I only negotiated on the bonus percentage and got an additional 5%. I did this negotiation with the hiring VP not HR.

SAP Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

interviewed at St. Jude Medical in February 2011.

3 interviews - 1 phone with recruiter, 1 phone with manager, 1 in person with 3 team members and manager one at a time

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in August 2012.

Phone interview. A company recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. He called me next day and asked if I would be interested in the position. I said yes. He e-mailed me a few questions regarding what I've done in the past and I responded with 3-4 sentences for each questions. It looked like it was sufficient and he asked for a phone interview.

The phone interview was quite easy - he also asked questions of what I've done in the past, how many years I worked in medical device industry, why am I looking for a job at St.Jude, what is the most challenging part of my job. I left confident I had adequate answers to all of his questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult AND unexpected question was what is my current pay rate (I am a contractor at another major medical device company). I di not want to give his the exact number but asked what is the salary range for the job position. His response was from $100 to $130K. I replied that my rate lies exactly in the middle of this range. However he insisted that I need to give his the exact number. I tried to give him a range what I would be interested in. Again he insisted I give him the rate otherwise I will have a problem getting the next interview.   View Answer

Medical Assembly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at St. Jude Medical.

A recruiter assistant set up an appointment for me for the exam. There's a 4part pre- qualifying exam for reading comprehension, math, manual dexterity and microscope. It took 3hrs. for me to complete the exam. An onsite recruiter interviewed me after the exam and told me to wait for few weeks for a job offer. After 3 weeks I got a call from my recruiter that I will be going for an interview with the hiring manager. During the interview with the hiring manager he toured me inside the cleanroom while we discuss everything about the job. It took 2.5hrs.! The next day my recruiter called me and told me the hiring manager extended a long term job offer for me.

Interview Questions
    • The 4 part pre-qualifying exam is difficult. You need to get 100% for reading comprehension before you can advance to math and should pass the rest too!   Answer Question
    Through recruiter.

Senior Quality Engineer - Design Assurance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at St. Jude Medical in September 2011.

The process began with an HR screen. Within the industry I think the SJM Talent Acquisition agents are the most helpful and really sell the company well. It was a pretty general screen which I went through for a few different positions and they blur together. I received a few toughish questions indicating that some of the TA agents actually knew a bit about the products/positions in question, but the majority of the questions were the obvious checks that you are confident, want the job, and you are who you say you are.

Step two was an in-person interview where I met with the hiring manager and a handful of engineers and managers. Each meeting was 1:1. Most were personality and resume-based interviews with the exception of one think-outside-the-box, somewhat technical interview. Once again the interviews appeared to go favorably.

I was called back for another round of face-to-face interviews on site. I met with the hiring manager once again who said they were looking to hire multiple DA Engineer positions and couldn't tell me for which project in particular they thought I may be best suited for. This makes the interview process vague and difficult. Anyhow I met with another round of managers and engineers and answered their personality and background questions admirably. Later that week I was given a competing offer and accepted. I informed the hiring manager to that effect so i'm not sure if there were to be any further interviews or if that was the end.

Overall I thought the interview process was on the easy side, but I also didn't get to the point of obtaining an offer. It did seem like a long drawn-out process however. I was surprised they went right from the screen to multiple in-person interviews and then surprised again when I needed to go back...and they weren't even bringing me back gunning for a specific position, almost like they didn't have a clear handle on their business needs at the time. I did encounter a couple scheduling glitches setting up interviews, but I assume that is just a symptom of big business. The employees were for the most part very friendly. Once again more-so than I saw at other interviews - maybe it's the "Minnesota nice". It seemed like it would be a fairly relaxed work environment, but I can't factually comment on that.

Interview Questions
    • How would you define fraud?   View Answer
    • Something similar to: You have 7 baskets and 15 eggs. How many ways can you put the eggs in the baskets? Eggs must be grouped in odd numbers.   View Answer

Worked for St. Jude Medical? Contribute to the Community!