Standard Bank Group

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Went through a recruitment agency, which found the job for me
    Had 2 step interview with middle and upper management. Management had some technical knowledge
    No technical tests were done, just some random technical questions done verbally
    Waited a while for between the two interviews

Corporate and Investment Banking Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Standard Bank Group in July 2014.

I applied online and was invited to a first round interview. I was interviewed twice on the day for two divisions in the bank and was asked typical behavioural type questions and questions around where I see myself in the bank.
    I got through to the second round which consisted of a psychometric test and an assessment centre.
    Candidates were emailed a case 3 days before the assessment centre and had to prepare a presentation. I presented the case and was asked questions relating to it and more behavioural questions.
    The assessment centre interviews were difficult because I had limited knowledge of accounting and finance. (I majored in economics and politics).

Interview Questions
    • Richard Branson is in an elevator with someone who presents him with an opportunity to enter the light bulb market. What should he ask/do?
      I was so shocked at the question I can't recall it exactly

Answer Question

Junior Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Standard Bank Group.

Interview is a two step process, first with the head of the division then followed by a larger panel interview with senior members of the team. Discussions are informal with some general and more technical questions and try to determine your fit into the company as a whole and the team in particular

IT Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Standard Bank Group.

It took one month. Interviewers are very friendly and it was a absolutely amazing experience.

SME Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Standard Bank Group.

2 rounds of behavioural/resume interviews. Very straight-forward, the focus was more on personality and fit

Interview Questions
    • "If you could be a dinosaur, which one would you be and why?"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Standard Bank Group.

In the first round I was interviewed by one person. I was questioned on my personal strengths and weaknesses. No technical questions.

Project Consultant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Standard Bank Group.

There was a rigorous hiring process that started with an introduction by a local executive recruitment agency.
    That agency introduced me to the Head of HR who met with me to discuss the overall role and the expectations. This was followed by a meeting with all of the team members that I would be working with; each team member sat with me for half and hour and provided a detailed background of their role and their position with the project.

Interview Questions
    • The Head of HR was a very direct individual in all lines of questioning which was very much appreciated.   View Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape Town (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape Town (South Africa)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Standard Bank Group in October 2011.

Online application followed by a telephonic interview then psychometric testing then a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • If traveling and you get lost, are you the type of person to use a map or rely on someone's directions?   Answer Question
    Seemed inexperienced with the negotiation phase and needed more information from myself. Would recommend suggesting counter proposals and monitoring the flow of communication and related documents with all related parties.

IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Standard Bank Group in November 2010.

The interview was through a consultancy. Gained customer confidence by working for the firm for two years.

no Negotiations based on previous CTC

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Standard Bank Group in January 2010.

Online application followed by telephonic interviews, face to face interviews and regional selection. Candidates were then pooled into one "final" group of applicants and went through various exercises and further discussions and interviews. Business owners were then invited to interview and assess additional exercises and gave feedback to HR. The final crop of users were then selected and made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Group exercise on a real business problem.   View Answer
    Blanket offer made to all graduates selected