Standard Chartered Bank

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.1

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nairobi (Kenya)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nairobi (Kenya)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in November 2013.

Best interview process I have had so far. They are calm and explain well. Give feedback and even though they are grilling you they let you feel that they need you.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a due-diligence process on on-boarding clients   View Answer

Got a better offer elsewhere. Also this was a contract position for 6 months, which does not provide security, that I need now.

Specialist Functions Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in November 2013.

First, I applied and took the test online. The first test was the general ability or abstract test, then some kind of personality test. If you passed those test, they will ask you to upload your cv, and then if they're okay with that, you'll be called by their HR. I got called from India, the lady confirm some of my personal information and told me that I passed the initial assessment and the next step is phone interview. She said she will email me and I have to book myself for the phone interview the next day. The phone interview was about 1 hour, and on the same day I got called again. The HR told me I passed and I will have to come to their office for business interview and group exercise. The business interview was about 1 hour too and group debate was half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • The question is mostly about yourself and your experiences in the past.   Answer Question

Trade Officer Interview

total 4 to 6 interviews was held. first interview was on Telephone, after that second interview was held face to face with department Team Leader, after that another face to face interview was held with Manager and after that written test held

International Graduate Interview

Typical process

Consumer Bank - Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I applied online - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank.

Online application and tests in early September. Then 1-hour phone interview in late October.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any unexpected question. But every question was asked in great details.   Answer Question

International Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in November 2013.

Telephone interview

Interview Questions
    • Not really, all of them are "tell me a time" questions, though the interviewers ask all details of it.   Answer Question

Standard Chartered Hong Kong - Technology & Operations Management Trainee Programmer (WBO) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in October 2013.

I applied for this MT programme choose Wholesale Banking Operations 1st choice.

1. App tests
    Including Numerical, Logical. Not particularly difficult

2. Personal Info and CV Screening

3. Personality Test
    My recommendation is dont't make things up. Be consistent and honest with whom you are.

4. Phone-interview
    Standard questiins to test why you are interested in this position. in Standard Chartered.
    Then, some competency-based questions on teamwork and how you handled a challenge.
    The process for my case last for only 25 min.

5. Assessment Centre
    This was quite tough. Whole-day assessment with 3 rounds, lasted from 9:45am to 7:30pm

i) Group discussion

5min preparation, 35 min discussion on two topics
    - 3 Major things banks should focus on in nowadays
    - Comment on: "Some believes Banking is Sun-setting industry". Even more the case for wholesale banking than consumer banking."

7 people in my group. with around 5 managers and senior managers as assessors. They probably look for ideas with qualitity, and assess your understanding of the banking industry as a whole.

(4 hours gap after that...)

ii) Group exercise

Most tiring part.
    Candidates with join the other two candidate-groups (Consumer-banking and IT), and then divided again into 3 different groups, each one consists of members from different candidate group.

The idea is like a simulation where you have to gather information as a group and then make a 5 min presentation to present to managers. The whole process will be assessed.
    Procedures include:
    - 45 mins rotation to 3 check-points, where your group will have to collect information of the task. One of the check point is actually a team-building type of exercise, and better your team performed, the more physical materials your group will have for presentation.
    - 15 min preparation for presentation
    - 5 min present. 5 min Q&A.

Time is quite tight. Have to be organized and quick and tried to come up with a presentable high-level presentation.

iii) Business Group Interview

A discussion session with a senior manager.
    He will ask questions and see what candiates think, regarding Standard Chartered's strategy particularly for wholesale-banking.

He also asked specifically how we see SCB should position in China and in Hong Kong.

Have to be well prepared and know the bank's strategy and directions in order to be able to stand out. Research research and research.

6. Final interview with CIO
    I know this is the final round because HR asked us to reserve the day after AC for this potential last round interview.
    Unfortunately I was rejected before I could get here, so no particular information for this part.

Interview Questions
    • How do you see Standard Chartered can position herself in China, under regulatory issues?   Answer Question

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank.

Normal phone interview with HR and easy face to face, not much of difficulties.

Interview Questions

Regress in role rather than progress, remuneration not up to mark. Interviewer not being truthful on the bank situation.

Financial Crime Risk Advisor Interview

Very good

Graduate Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in October 2013.

Online application was fairly standard.
    The process from online application to testing to phone interview was fairly fast.
    Phone interview lasted 50 minutes.
    Response was within 5 working days.

Interview Questions
    • Competency questions are not unexpected but lots of probing involved   View Answer