Standard Chartered Bank

Relevance Date Difficulty

International Graduate Interview

International Graduate
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in November 2013.

Interview Details – Telephone interview

Interview Question – Not really, all of them are "tell me a time" questions, though the interviewers ask all details of it.   Answer Question

Standard Chartered Hong Kong - Technology & Operations Management Trainee Programmer (WBO) Interview

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for this MT programme choose Wholesale Banking Operations 1st choice.

1. App tests
Including Numerical, Logical. Not particularly difficult

2. Personal Info and CV Screening

3. Personality Test
My recommendation is dont't make things up. Be consistent and honest with whom you are.

4. Phone-interview
Standard questiins to test why you are interested in this position. in Standard Chartered.
Then, some competency-based questions on teamwork and how you handled a challenge.
The process for my case last for only 25 min.

5. Assessment Centre
This was quite tough. Whole-day assessment with 3 rounds, lasted from 9:45am to 7:30pm

i) Group discussion

5min preparation, 35 min discussion on two topics
- 3 Major things banks should focus on in nowadays
- Comment on: "Some believes Banking is Sun-setting industry". Even more the case for wholesale banking than consumer banking."

7 people in my group. with around 5 managers and senior managers as assessors. They probably look for ideas with qualitity, and assess your understanding of the banking industry as a whole.

(4 hours gap after that...)

ii) Group exercise

Most tiring part.
Candidates with join the other two candidate-groups (Consumer-banking and IT), and then divided again into 3 different groups, each one consists of members from different candidate group.

The idea is like a simulation where you have to gather information as a group and then make a 5 min presentation to present to managers. The whole process will be assessed.
Procedures include:
- 45 mins rotation to 3 check-points, where your group will have to collect information of the task. One of the check point is actually a team-building type of exercise, and better your team performed, the more physical materials your group will have for presentation.
- 15 min preparation for presentation
- 5 min present. 5 min Q&A.

Time is quite tight. Have to be organized and quick and tried to come up with a presentable high-level presentation.

iii) Business Group Interview

A discussion session with a senior manager.
He will ask questions and see what candiates think, regarding Standard Chartered's strategy particularly for wholesale-banking.

He also asked specifically how we see SCB should position in China and in Hong Kong.

Have to be well prepared and know the bank's strategy and directions in order to be able to stand out. Research research and research.

6. Final interview with CIO
I know this is the final round because HR asked us to reserve the day after AC for this potential last round interview.
Unfortunately I was rejected before I could get here, so no particular information for this part.

Interview Question – How do you see Standard Chartered can position herself in China, under regulatory issues?   Answer Question

Relationship Manager Interview

Relationship Manager
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank.

Interview Details – Normal phone interview with HR and easy face to face, not much of difficulties.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Regress in role rather than progress, remuneration not up to mark. Interviewer not being truthful on the bank situation.

Financial Crime Risk Advisor Interview

Financial Crime Risk Advisor

Interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank

Interview Details – Very good

Interview Question – Who is in the back end of PICTL deal   View Answer

Graduate Associate Interview

Graduate Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in October 2013.

Interview Details – Online application was fairly standard.
The process from online application to testing to phone interview was fairly fast.
Phone interview lasted 50 minutes.
Response was within 5 working days.

Interview Question – Competency questions are not unexpected but lots of probing involved   View Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Relationship Manager
Siālkot, Punjab (Pakistan)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in August 2012.

Interview Details – My hiring process was delayed for four months since i was interviewed first time. There were some delays due to BM personal commitments and some delays due to HR. The GM and HR Managers were convinced in the first 1.1 meeting but appointment letter reached quite late. Even when the appointment letter reached BM delayed to contact me, which wasted another month.

Interview Question – Difficult Questions were regarding the targets.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a better title with higher targets.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in September 2009.

Interview Details – Was hired in contract basis for 18 months then turned in-house. Simple interview process however lengthy HR process when transferred to permanent position.

Interview Question – Quick assessment on existing site then report finding the possible improvement required.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Initial offered salary was low however managed to nego 10% more.

Officer Interview

Officer

Interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank

Interview Details – Long process

Interview Question – How long it takes to be fully functional   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
London, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank.

Interview Details – Interview (twice) over phone

Interview Question – None - mostly fit type questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None - they were not negotiating

International Graduate Interview

International Graduate
Colombo (Sri Lanka)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Standard Chartered Bank in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the WB IG program. The process is very straight forward and mentioned in detail in the SCB website. It takes long to go through it. May be few months to go through many tests and interviews. Good for graduates with few years of experience.

Each and every phase is important. Pre pare in sequence as if u dont go through one, you are done.

Very important fact is that cumilative marks are counted. So score well in non-face to face interviews and computer based tests at early stages.

Interview Question – How the local banks strategy would align with the current market and the future growth. This was asked at the top mgmt interview.   View Answer