Standard Life Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2015

2.8

Consultant Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Standard Life (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

I applied on their website. I had a first interview with one person from HR and the manager of the division. Second interview with the team to make sure it was a good fit with everyone. Clear process, they did not asked tricky questions.

The whole process from the time I applied and the time they told me I had the job took about a month.

Interview Questions

• Regular interview questions: strenghts, weekness, tell me about a situation that was difficult at work and how did you handle it, how did you handle a difficult collegue, why should we hire you.   Answer Question

Accountancy Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Standard Life in December 2014.

Interview

first complete an online application form with a lot of competency questions, then move on to two tests, after that is tele interview, interviewer was nice, final round is AC usually held in jan or feb.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Customer Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Standard Life (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

One telephone call to set-up interview and then interview - on mobile. No confirmation by email, rather poor. Lady was calling from cell phone and in spite of feedback, she carried on.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question really but interviewer was calling from cell phone and reception was very bad, I mentioned a few times but she carried on.   1 Answer

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Standard Life (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in December 2014.

Interview

Two-part interview: 2h30.
    First part with manager and directors and human resource. Skills evaluated: leadership, communication, management.
    Second part with architect and engineer and human resource. Technical skills evaluated: software architecture, desing pattern, technologies.

Second interview: 1h with manager and directors.
    Targeting real-life scenarios and experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince shared resources to agree and spend time on a project.   1 Answer

Actuarial & Risk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Standard Life in October 2014.

Interview

After submitting the initial application form, standard life took around 2 weeks to get back to me. I had to sit 2 online tests; a numerical reasoning and logical reasoning test. I passed those and was invited to participate in a phone interview.

The phone interview was with an english woman who asked me the typical competency based questions and then what other companies I'd applied for. It wasn't difficult and I felt it went well. I was told that I would hear back within 2 weeks. I had a friend go through a similar process around 3 weeks prior to that and said that he had had no feedback from his phone interview.

2 days after my phone interview, I was phoned by an external recruitment company and invited along to the assessment centre. The format of the assessment centre was that it was held over 2 days at their Edinburgh office. The first day, you were given a presentation at the Edinburgh office and then taken out to dinner by 2 of the current graduates; the second day was when the actual assessments were carried out. The first night is meant to be just about getting to know the other candidates prior to the assessments and apparently the candidates are not being assessed.

The assessment day started at 8:30am and lasted until around 4pm. It was a long day but the tasks that you were required to participate in were not too difficult. The day started with an interview with 2 members of the team you were applying to. The interview in retrospect was quite difficult - it lasted around 45 minutes and I had to answer around 12 landscape pages of A4 worth of questions. The questions were of a similar nature to that of the phone interview except that were was much more of them. I got asked in my interview about their recent stock price performance but I think that boils down to the reason that I brought it up in my application form as no-one else got asked about it (so don't mention something unless you're completely prepared to talk about it). The second task of the day was a case study and presentation. You were given around 45 minutes to read the provided material and prepare a 15 minute presentation on it. My case study was about a joinery company wanting to expand and you were given 3 options to do so. Following on from the presentation, you were required to answer any questions that the interviewers asked. The third task of the day was the "fun" group project. I found this far from fun but maybe that was just me. We were given a task about allocation of conference rooms and given criteria and we had to deduce what company was given what room. The most difficult part of this was the fact that you weren't allowed writing utensils. As a group, we came up with the idea of assigning each company a number and then using that and paperclips to assign them to their room (after this, I realised a better way to do this was to rip the sheet with the company names on it up). The fourth and final task was another group project except this one was more technical and required a presentation at the end. I preferred the second group project because of its more technical nature.

Overall, the application and interview process seemed well-organised and planned. I was treated well and with respect. However, I was told that following on from the assessment centre, you would be told via a phone call on Friday of that week whether or not I had passed. I received an automated email with no reasons about my failure on Friday at 5:30pm stating that I would not get the job. I had not been given any direct contact details with which to follow up and have had to find them through other sources. I contacted the recruitment company the following Monday and asked them to pursue some feedback for me. I am writing this review the following Sunday with still no word about why I was unsuccessful.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Interview

applied online , process took over a two week period, there was a phone interview and then in person with the hr rep and hiring manager, got the call a few weeks after applying

Interview Questions

• the usual interview questions , difficult situation with managers, strengths/weaknesses   Answer Question

Business Change & Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Standard Life (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

First completed online application process, then numerical test which wasn't very difficult. The second day after I have completed the numerical test, I was invited to a telephone interview which was closely focused with more depth on the materials I used on the online application. Within 5 days I received invitation to the assessment centre which include an informal dinner with one recent graduate on the day before the assessment centre day followed by the actual selection day. The AC was one 2:1 interview on competency and motivation, one individual presentation on a topic choosing from 3 options and then a group case studies.

Interview Questions

• The interview was fine, was general competency questions.   Answer Question

Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Standard Life (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

The HR process was weak. My CV was lost and then my file was passed around to a few people. The whole hiring process needed a lot of improvement.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little negotiation room.

Manager Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Standard Life (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

1. In person interview with HR
    2. In person interview with hiring manager & HR
    3. Psychometric testing by 3rd-party (to assess competencies & fit for role)
    4. Background check
    5. Reference check
    6. Offer

Interview Questions

• For me the most difficult part was the psychometric testing. Most of the personality and intelligence testing was fine. The 30 minute probing interview with the psychologist was the most stressful part. All verbal discussions and body language was analyzed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation phase was a bit chaotic. Company representatives that interfaced with me were not permanent employees so I received at times confusing, changing, and erroneous information. I was not able to meet the person I would ultimately report to. But everyone I did meet was pleasant and professional.

I was able to negotiate on starting salary and early salary review. Was not able to negotiate on vacation time - was told this cannot exceed the standard allotment for Level. Did not attempt to negotiate target bonus percentage (also linked to Level).

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Standard Life (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied through a recruitment agency.
    Had 1 interview in the office with two members of the teams management. Asked about job history, basic competency questions, and then had to do a short variance analysis question.
    Heard back quite quickly afterwards.

Only downside is the sexcurity checks can take a while (3rd party so not their fault)

Interview Questions

• Standard competency questions, and a short variance analysis question   Answer Question