Standard Register

Updated Feb 19, 2015

2.6

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Standard Register.

Very lengthy. It started with a phone interview, then an in-person interview with the hiring manager. After that there were several rounds of interviews on separate days with various employees in the department.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions. Interested in learning more about my background. They provided a lot of information about position and the company.   Answer Question

Client Care Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Standard Register in October 2014.

I had an interview with two people which went very well. They seemed to ask good questions and I felt good about the experience. I did get to have a mini tour of the area which was fairly spread out, clean and seemed to be divided into teams. A couple of days later I was contacted and asked if I would like to "sit" for an afternoon with the team that I would be working in and see how the job is actually done. I agreed and did have a very eye-opening experience. If was very positive and the people were open and friendly. I was concerned because they work out of 7 different systems and one of them is in DOS! The customer base is setup throughout these systems with really no way of knowing exactly which system they are in until you get familiar with your accounts. The staff seemed to be very busy throughout the day and very knowledgeable. I learned that while some departments within the company receive yearly raises, this particular department had not had one in a couple of years. I also learned that the company as a whole halted their contribution match for 401K. I still was interested although this gave me a red flag as I really felt as if the company was not valuing their employees. A couple of days later the manager contacted me and said that he wanted to offer me a position but that I needed to send him a copy of my pay stub from my current position in another company. I asked why as I felt this was inappropriate. He told me that because I was on the high end of the pay scale he needed to prove to HR what I was making. At that point I advised that I felt uncomfortable with this and because I felt it bordered unethical, I was going to take my name off the table.

Explained above.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Standard Register in July 2014.

Very friendly, open, and cordial at first. Implied they wanted to consider me for another higher level HR role. How could I refuse even though I was not interested in that position. Continued interviewing with directors and other HR Business Partners. At times the interviews with eight HR people in total became redundant and made me wonder about the company, eg. "have trouble finding people, have retention issues, integration with WorkflowOne taking longer than expected, not an impossibility though, need someone to cover our backs, someone couragerous and strong, we are wary, just in one day hired 5 people and 5 people quit". Then director wanted to speak with me about how the interviews went with her team. I kept calling her back but only to be put into voicemail even though I left times I would be calling her. Finally, did receive call back--"no longer interested in you, liked you personally but taking a different path with position. Good luck, bye". This is typical HR speak to minimize Legal risk and politely get lost. So, interview process went from friendly and very interested to harsh, cold and abrupt. Now I know why Standard is having hiring, selection, and retention problems, not to mention integration issuses.

Interview Questions
    • How have you managed hiring and retention issues in the past?   View Answer

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Standard Register.

Came through a temporary agency. No official hiring process

they would not negotiate.

Customer Service Coordinator Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Standard Register.

Came in for the interview expecting one pay rate and then got there and they had a piece a paper on the table that it was lower and non-negotiable. Lasted about 30 mins and received a call to start 45 mins after leaving.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult at all very common questions.   Answer Question
    NON-NEGOTIBLE

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Standard Register.

Brings every person imaginable in to interview including people just hired the day prior. Gives a test at the end of the interview. Comments are made on everything including how the interviewee dresses.

Interview Questions
    • The test is unexpected and most people even people in the field with years f the experience fail it.   View Answers (2)
    Low pay is offered and those with highest pay at company are laid off. If you must work then you will need to take their offer.

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Standard Register in August 2011.

Initiated through external recuriter, but all interviewing handled by hiring manager. Several levels (hiring manager, same-level manager from another region, National VP of Sales and CEO) were involved in process. Did not include opportunity to talk with current employees in similar roles. Expectations of role were well defined. Training was very good.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions, quite uneventful.   Answer Question
    Unveventful, well communicated by hiring manager.

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Standard Register in August 2011.

Fairly standard interview/hiring process. Was asked to do a mock cold call to hiring manager. Took a personality test as well which they use for future promotions which is not the best practice since people can change once taking the test.

Interview Questions
    • Had to do a mock cold call. Was sent over information regarding an offering and was told to try and secure a meeting based on no training and a 3 page brochure that failed to mention the title of the offering.   Answer Question

Forms Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toccoa, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toccoa, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Standard Register in May 2010.

Starts off with a phone interview and then a 1:1 interview with the design manager. Before interviewing with the design manager, I was given a typing test and a basic math skills test. After the interview with the manager, I was given a form to recreate to make sure I knew the software.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you had a conflict with a co-worker or customer and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Standard Register in February 2010.

They like to recruit from Kforce. There were two one-on-one interviews in the initial interview. Afterward HR will call if they are interested and generally have you back for a second interview. They will have you take a test to see if you will be successful in your position. My department was very concerned with personality when hiring. They didn't ask many questions about what I knew about the company. Much of the interview was behavioral

Interview Questions
    There wasn't a negotiation phase for me. I accepted the offer they were making through my recruiter.