Stanford University

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in April 2013.

Interview Details – I had a fast pleasant experience getting hired at Stanford with my current position. I had interviewed for two other positions at different departments and never heard back from either and l months later I received an automated reply that the positions had been filled. Stanford is VERY decentralized and there are many issues with their hiring process. People never follow up, don't email, and they can take MONTHS to call back so don't hold your breathe. My advice is don't give up, they have great benefits so the trouble is worth it if you appreciate a good work/life balance.

Interview Question – They asked how do you deal with unresponsive faculty members?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, HR has set pay scale's and you simply accept.

Administrative Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – Was hired initially as temp to hire but temp status was long drawn out as administration was not in hurry to make full time with benefits. Interviewing was nice and they have you interview with many people who you will work with to not only hear about different aspects of work but to see if you mesh well with them.

Interview Question – How skilled are you with advanced social media?   Answer Question

Stanford, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone screen, then brought in for an interview. I did this for two different administrative positions

Interview Question – Do you think you will be bored in this position?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Palo Alto, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer did not ask any questions about my work history, interviewer did ask several times why I wanted to work at University. Interviewer seemed distracted and not interested in the interview. Interviewer said she would get back to me in two days either way, never heard back from person I interviewed with.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at University?   Answer Question

Administrative Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in June 2011.

Interview Details – I got an email from someone in the HR office to set up an interview. Arrived there was the HR person I was in contact with and the supervisor of the position in the interview, was asked the everyday interview questions: tell us about yourself, give us an everyday scenario what your day is like at your present position, what would your coworkers say about you. Pretty standard, very nice people.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you worked with competing or overbearing personalities, how did you deal?   Answer Question

Administrative Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in June 2011.

Interview Details – They called to set up an interview with multiple interviewers. These were 1-1 interviews. This was the first session, and there were other people interviewing at this step. Then I was called back to meet with the senior department member, and another person who interfaced this position, the following week. Again, these were 1-1 interviews. There might have only been 1-3 people invited back for the second step. They checked my references, which took a week. Then made the offer. It was a great offer.

Between the first and second interviews, I spoke with other staff. They were very happy working in this department. Sounds like a lot of support and cohesiveness. I also walked around to check out the surroundings on the floor, the building and the surrounding buildings. I looked up each of my interviewers prior to the appointment to try to learn more about them and get a feel for what they might be like during the interview.

These positions do not generally offer growth. If anyone asks what you want to be doing in 5 years, do not suggest advancement. Look for other ways to describe self satisfaction. These positions typically require certain skill sets, sometimes they are willing to train while other times they need someone ready to go.

It really depends on which department you are applying. Each has their own 'mindset', and ways to be approached. I had 3 interviews for 3 different positions and departments in one week. I only advanced on one.

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem with someone you worked with and how you handled it.   Answer Question
  • Other departments asked questions about specific skills like pivot tables and advanced formulas in Excel.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No. I tried, but not too hard as I thought the offer was pretty good. Extra vacation days are non-negotiable. Salary might have been possible, but I was on the mid-upper end of the range for this position. It sounded like the process would have required my superior to go back and 're-sell' my benefits to a more senior HR/Dept head which would create a hurdle and I felt I would start me on the wrong foot by doing this.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!