Stanford University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.9

Special Projects Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA).

Interview

Heard about the position from an old colleague. Interviewed with the whole team that I would be working with for the position. First in person with the hiring manager, then in person with the manager that the position would be reporting to, then one on one with the 5 other team members. I was contacted over the course of the next several weeks after the University approved the request to hire.

Interview Questions

• If you were to be hired for this position, what value do you envision yourself adding to this organization?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fairly simple. I was offered an hourly rate based on what had been approved in the budget for the position and I felt hat it was fair based on my external market research, my job duties, and the market rate for admin positions in a university setting at the time.

Librarian Interview

Interview

Very relaxed with friendly staff. The person who interviewed me was very open to training and welcoming those who have never worked in a library setting. Almost all the applicants are undergraduate students looking to make extra money during the school year. The interview process pretty much guarantees a shift at the library and includes additional training.

Executive Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied as internal candidate with knowledge of the job and people. Received call to schedule a phone interview. Had 1 phone interview of about 30 minutes. Didn't hear anything for a while. Was told by email a couple of weeks later that they'd hired someone else.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

First the manager sent an email asking for phone interview. In phone interview, the HR first told me about the job description and then I was asked mainly behavioral questions and about my experience. If you have any doubts ask in the end of the interview. Asked me questions like why Stanford, are you ready to learn new techniques, do you have any computer skills, etc. The interview was easy and overall experience was good. if selected will send an email for in person interview.

Post Doctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied to the Professor directly. I followed up via email on the application. In response, I was asked for a convenient date and time for Skype and to ask PhD supervisor to email recommendation letter. Skype interview lasted about 1.5 hours. After the interview he said he has to interview a few more candidates and then would get back to me. A week later, I was asked to send 2 more reference letters and was asked if I planned to visit the US anytime soon (I was abroad at time of interview). Since I couldn't be present in person, I was asked for a final round of telephonic interview. The next day I received unofficial email confirming my position.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions. What have your research interests been? Describe your key findings in 5 minutes. What interested you to apply to this lab. I was given a 20 minute overview on the work of the lab, and was asked to tell him what interested me the most. I was asked about experience in supervising an din certain techniques the lab uses in day to day functioning.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very lengthy and multiple group interviews. I first meet with a group, then a director and then a faculty member. We chatted and had lunch together as well. It was nice to be able to interact with the leadership.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA).

Interview

Applied online in the fall. Graduate program lasts 5 quarters. Questions on undergraduate research completed in previous 4 years. Specific grilling on some aspects of testing set up. Some questions on what is attractive about stanford. Overall very smooth. Be prepared to answer specific questions regarding faculty in the department.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

Applied through the portal and was contacted a month later via email. Talked about past experience in the lab and research interests. Was also asked some basic interview questions (e.g. future plans, why do you want to work here?).Applied through the portal and was contacted a month later. Talked about past experience in the lab and research interests. Was also asked some basic interview questions (e.g. future plans, why do you want to work here?). Got an email two weeks later that I did get the position.

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

I took a 2 hrs test using Stata to clean and analyze data. There are too much questions that I cannnot have time to finish. The hiring manager is really nice

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Filled out the online application and was then first contacted by hum resources. After that I had a series of in person interviews. Three of these were interviews with a group of people. The last was a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are qualified for this position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.