Stanford University Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2015

2.9

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University.

Applied online in the fall. Graduate program lasts 5 quarters. Questions on undergraduate research completed in previous 4 years. Specific grilling on some aspects of testing set up. Some questions on what is attractive about stanford. Overall very smooth. Be prepared to answer specific questions regarding faculty in the department.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University.

Applied through the portal and was contacted a month later via email. Talked about past experience in the lab and research interests. Was also asked some basic interview questions (e.g. future plans, why do you want to work here?).Applied through the portal and was contacted a month later. Talked about past experience in the lab and research interests. Was also asked some basic interview questions (e.g. future plans, why do you want to work here?). Got an email two weeks later that I did get the position.

Research Analyst Interview

I took a 2 hrs test using Stata to clean and analyze data. There are too much questions that I cannnot have time to finish. The hiring manager is really nice

Software Engineer Interview

Filled out the online application and was then first contacted by hum resources. After that I had a series of in person interviews. Three of these were interviews with a group of people. The last was a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are qualified for this position.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate.

Communications Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Stanford University.

Received call from HR rep. Interviewed with him for 30 minutes. He was very good with following up. Recommended me to for department interview. Heard back 5 weeks later for interview. While I was waiting for my interview in the office had another person walk up to the person who was interviewing me and asked whether I was her friend who she was giving the job to. Immediately knew I wasn't getting the job and I was just the prerequisite interview you bring in before hiring your friend.

Interview Questions
    • General interview questions, what are your strengths / weaknesses.   Answer Question

Life Science Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Stanford University.

Applied online. Got an email couple weeks later from the assistant saying I've an interview. Interviewed with the PI. I got accepted for the second interview. Visited the PI at Stanford for the second interview. The people were really nice.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Individual meeting with prinicipal investigator and other lab members, including other postdoctoral fellows, graduate researchers, and undergraduate students; Oral presentation consisted of work I performed during graduate school and ideas for projects I wanted to pursue in the new lab.

Social Science Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in September 2014.

I applied for the position of Research assistant through the Stanford portal as well as a posting for the same job on Idealist.org. I was contacted a fews days later from a leader in the research department through email. I was invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview was very open ended type questions (e.g. tell me about yourself, what are strengths and weaknesses, why do you want to work here?) followed by an informational portion where the interviewer explained the research being conducted. It ended well with a few questions about pay range, potential start date and the interviewee telling me about the next steps in the process. I was not told whether or not I made it to the next round. The interviewer explained I would be contacted through email in a couple of weeks to inform me of their decision. That evening I received an email stating I had made it to the next round and was requested to go in for an in-person interview.

The in-person interview was at the Stanford campus with four different employees (including the director of the program) from the research lab. They asked more direct questions about my knowledge in research methodologies and previous experience gathering data and analyzing statistics. The interview took 2 hours. At the end of the interview I was asked to send references and they would be in touch once they received them.

One week later I had two other phone interviews testing me on the research material that was being conducted. Applicants, know all the research, read it and study it before hand.

At the end of the interview I was offered a job!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the research papers you've read about our work here.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

A call for applications was sent out to appropriate departments, and we were notified by our career counselor. There was an initial round of screening requiring both a resume and answers to specific questions. This was followed by an interview, which included creating and graphing a sample problem as if teaching a section

Interview Questions
    • Come up with a sample problem that demonstrates a basic economic concept, and teach it while graphing it on the board.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable offer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Stanford University.

initial email communication, responded to a job posting through nature jobs. 30 minute presentation on thesis work to lab. this was followed by a series of questions regarding my personality, research and motivation for deciding to apply to stanfrd

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation I faced during my PhD work and how did I handle it?   Answer Question