Stanford University

Updated Jan 11, 2015
Updated Jan 11, 2015

2.9

Information Technology Operations Team Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University in June 2014.

I applied online and was contacted very quickly to discuss the position.
    The initial conversations were very pleasant and the position sounded interesting.
    An in person interview was scheduled shortly after and it was a panel discussion with the department manager and two members of the team.
    Again the conversation flowed nicely but it did appear as though there were holes in my expertise and what they position needed.

It was at this point that I could tell there was a discrepancy between what skills were actually needed and how they were being communicated by the department manager.

I continued through the follow-up process and was told that I was to be scheduled to meet more members of the network team and the division manager.

I followed up numerous times to only be told that there were scheduling conflicts as people were on vacation.

After that I never received any response to any follow-up calls or voice mail.

I think it is unfortunate that a simple email saying "we don't think you are qualified" could be extended as a common courtesy. This is especially unusual since the conversations were so cordial and polite.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't many difficult questions it was more of a personality and culture fit type interview.   Answer Question

Administrative Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stanford University.

Was hired initially as temp to hire but temp status was long drawn out as administration was not in hurry to make full time with benefits. Interviewing was nice and they have you interview with many people who you will work with to not only hear about different aspects of work but to see if you mesh well with them.

Housing Building Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stanford University.

Put candidates through six panels of twelve interviewers per panel in one day. One panel offered lunch but was unable to eat as I was being interviewed with non-stop questions while the 12 panel members ate their lunch. Questions from all panel sessions consisted of similar canned interview questions. Very unprofessional and disrespectful. The best interview session was with the Director of the department, one-on-one. Very good interview with her. She was very respectful and asked relevant, real life questions. I would have been honored to work for her. For the other 72 people that interviewed me . . .

I hope by now that they have since changed their interviewing format.

Interview Questions
    • Each set of questions throughout the day were pretty much the same so by the end of the day creativity was an absolute necessity.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University.

Applied on Stanford Jobs website. No response. Found hiring manager by applying to another job in the same organization. Wrote to hiring manager and got interview.

Interview Questions
    • Let me tell you why I don't think you're qualified for the job.   View Answer
    Had to negotiate salary; was able to negotiate an increase for six months after hire.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Phone interview with 3 different faculties first. After that, I was invited onsite to meet more faculties and other postdocs.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stanford University.

contact Professor directly and did independent research with him in order to be qualified

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stanford University.

Directly Contact Boss. Asked him for job. Initially met at conference, then he flew me in to interview in person. He knew my previous boss, so that got my foot in door.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stanford University.

Seminar, one on one interviews, full day

No negotiation, fixed salary

Senior Engineer Interview

They kept asking me questions about squids, so come prepared with deep knowledge of marine invertebrates. For example, what size squid would you keep in this tank without worrying about territorial fights. Things like that

Safety and Compliance Assistance Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in February 2014.

Applied online through the Stanford Careers website. Several days later, I was asked to fill out an additional questionnaire. Notable questions included the two listed below, as well as a question that essentially asks for things you'd have put in your cover letter anyway.

I had an initial interview with two supervisors a week later. A mix of standard interview questions (why do you want to work here, why are you leaving your previous job, what do you bring to the table), some old-school questions (what are your 3 greatest strengths? your 3 weaknesses?), and a discussion of what specifically the job entailed. This lasted one hour.

The second interview lasted around 1.5 hours. First was a panel interview with the supervisors and 5 people in the position I was applying for. Again, very standard questions, with some behavioral "how would you react to X situation." One interviewer asked me to give an impromptu explanation of a chemical concept at a level understandable to novices to the field. I was also given the chance to ask the interviewers questions about their experiences in the position.

Afterwards, I was given a Standard Operating Procedure to quickly look over and give my thoughts on it to the supervisors.

Another week later, I had a third interview with the supervisors where they asked me to address some concerns they had about hiring me - mainly about the transition from an academic environment to a more rigorously scheduled workplace. Later that day, HR contacted me and offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • Two gave me some trouble.

1. Give an example of a time when you had to work with a difficult individual. Describe what strategies you employed to deal with that person.

2. Give an example of a time when you recognized a safety hazard in your work environment. Describe your process for evaluating the hazard and what you did to manage and control the hazard.

In addition, Stanford apparently still uses hackneyed questions like "What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses in the workplace?" I honestly wasn't expecting that and was caught off guard.

Answer Question
    My lack of prior work experience did not put me in a good position to negotiate. I was also desperate for work at the time and did not wish to push the issue. Stanford pays quite well anyway.