Stanford University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

Received call from HR rep. Interviewed with him for 30 minutes. He was very good with following up. Recommended me to for department interview. Heard back 5 weeks later for interview. While I was waiting for my interview in the office had another person walk up to the person who was interviewing me and asked whether I was her friend who she was giving the job to. Immediately knew I wasn't getting the job and I was just the prerequisite interview you bring in before hiring your friend.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions, what are your strengths / weaknesses.   Answer Question

Life Science Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA).

Interview

Applied online. Got an email couple weeks later from the assistant saying I've an interview. Interviewed with the PI. I got accepted for the second interview. Visited the PI at Stanford for the second interview. The people were really nice.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Interview

Individual meeting with prinicipal investigator and other lab members, including other postdoctoral fellows, graduate researchers, and undergraduate students; Oral presentation consisted of work I performed during graduate school and ideas for projects I wanted to pursue in the new lab.

Social Science Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position of Research assistant through the Stanford portal as well as a posting for the same job on Idealist.org. I was contacted a fews days later from a leader in the research department through email. I was invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview was very open ended type questions (e.g. tell me about yourself, what are strengths and weaknesses, why do you want to work here?) followed by an informational portion where the interviewer explained the research being conducted. It ended well with a few questions about pay range, potential start date and the interviewee telling me about the next steps in the process. I was not told whether or not I made it to the next round. The interviewer explained I would be contacted through email in a couple of weeks to inform me of their decision. That evening I received an email stating I had made it to the next round and was requested to go in for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was at the Stanford campus with four different employees (including the director of the program) from the research lab. They asked more direct questions about my knowledge in research methodologies and previous experience gathering data and analyzing statistics. The interview took 2 hours. At the end of the interview I was asked to send references and they would be in touch once they received them. One week later I had two other phone interviews testing me on the research material that was being conducted. Applicants, know all the research, read it and study it before hand. At the end of the interview I was offered a job!

Interview Questions

• Tell me the research papers you've read about our work here.   Answer Question

BeWell Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by an in-person interview with group panel for the second round. The phone interview asked about my skills and experience. The in-person interview with a group panel asked me a lot of situational questions, followed by a 10 minute mock advising session. There was a third round that I did not proceed to.

Interview Questions

• Role play as an advisor with an interviewer who played a client.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

A call for applications was sent out to appropriate departments, and we were notified by our career counselor. There was an initial round of screening requiring both a resume and answers to specific questions. This was followed by an interview, which included creating and graphing a sample problem as if teaching a section

Interview Questions

• Come up with a sample problem that demonstrates a basic economic concept, and teach it while graphing it on the board.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable offer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

initial email communication, responded to a job posting through nature jobs. 30 minute presentation on thesis work to lab. this was followed by a series of questions regarding my personality, research and motivation for deciding to apply to stanfrd

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation I faced during my PhD work and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stanford University in June 2014.

Interview

Initial contact via email, followed by phone screen, then several in-person interviews. The whole process was very drawn out (2.5 months.) The immediate team was great, but the university hiring process (driven by HR) felt very dysfunctional.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. These were fairly technical interviews, and everything was appropriately challenging.   Answer Question

I declined because the salary offer was delusional. It was less than 60% of the market rate for the position in the area.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Stanford University in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted very quickly to discuss the position. The initial conversations were very pleasant and the position sounded interesting. An in person interview was scheduled shortly after and it was a panel discussion with the department manager and two members of the team. Again the conversation flowed nicely but it did appear as though there were holes in my expertise and what they position needed. It was at this point that I could tell there was a discrepancy between what skills were actually needed and how they were being communicated by the department manager. I continued through the follow-up process and was told that I was to be scheduled to meet more members of the network team and the division manager. I followed up numerous times to only be told that there were scheduling conflicts as people were on vacation. After that I never received any response to any follow-up calls or voice mail. I think it is unfortunate that a simple email saying "we don't think you are qualified" could be extended as a common courtesy. This is especially unusual since the conversations were so cordial and polite.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't many difficult questions it was more of a personality and culture fit type interview.   Answer Question

Administrative Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

Was hired initially as temp to hire but temp status was long drawn out as administration was not in hurry to make full time with benefits. Interviewing was nice and they have you interview with many people who you will work with to not only hear about different aspects of work but to see if you mesh well with them.