Stanford University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.9

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

contact Professor directly and did independent research with him in order to be qualified

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

Directly Contact Boss. Asked him for job. Initially met at conference, then he flew me in to interview in person. He knew my previous boss, so that got my foot in door.

Interview Questions

• Can you get your own funding?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

Seminar, one on one interviews, full day

Negotiation

No negotiation, fixed salary

Safety and Compliance Assistance Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online through the Stanford Careers website. Several days later, I was asked to fill out an additional questionnaire. Notable questions included the two listed below, as well as a question that essentially asks for things you'd have put in your cover letter anyway.

I had an initial interview with two supervisors a week later. A mix of standard interview questions (why do you want to work here, why are you leaving your previous job, what do you bring to the table), some old-school questions (what are your 3 greatest strengths? your 3 weaknesses?), and a discussion of what specifically the job entailed. This lasted one hour.

The second interview lasted around 1.5 hours. First was a panel interview with the supervisors and 5 people in the position I was applying for. Again, very standard questions, with some behavioral "how would you react to X situation." One interviewer asked me to give an impromptu explanation of a chemical concept at a level understandable to novices to the field. I was also given the chance to ask the interviewers questions about their experiences in the position.

Afterwards, I was given a Standard Operating Procedure to quickly look over and give my thoughts on it to the supervisors.

Another week later, I had a third interview with the supervisors where they asked me to address some concerns they had about hiring me - mainly about the transition from an academic environment to a more rigorously scheduled workplace. Later that day, HR contacted me and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• Two gave me some trouble.

1. Give an example of a time when you had to work with a difficult individual. Describe what strategies you employed to deal with that person.

2. Give an example of a time when you recognized a safety hazard in your work environment. Describe your process for evaluating the hazard and what you did to manage and control the hazard.

In addition, Stanford apparently still uses hackneyed questions like "What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses in the workplace?" I honestly wasn't expecting that and was caught off guard.

Answer Question

Negotiation

My lack of prior work experience did not put me in a good position to negotiate. I was also desperate for work at the time and did not wish to push the issue. Stanford pays quite well anyway.

Senior Engineer Interview

Interview

They kept asking me questions about squids, so come prepared with deep knowledge of marine invertebrates. For example, what size squid would you keep in this tank without worrying about territorial fights. Things like that

Encryption Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Through a 3rd party Contracting Company - told go for an interview met with 5 people.

Interview Questions

• Ask about both apple and windows platforms and overall navigation of OS and settings.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation told all controlled via the 3rd party contacting company.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Interview

Email your CV. If you are preferred, you can work here soon. There is no additional test, or interview. However, the recommendations are very important. The PI will call the recomender directly.

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Phone screen, then brought in for an interview. I did this for two different administrative positions

Interview Questions

• Do you think you will be bored in this position?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

One on One or One on group interviews. Everyone is invited as no one wants to be left out.

Interview Questions

• Many questions based on researchers experience which may not be relavent to job function.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Stanford University in November 2013.

Interview

Interviewing process took about 1 month. Began with a phone screen, followed by an initial interview by the department recruiter and hiring director. I then returned a week later for the second round of interviews with the Associate Dean, a panel of 3 potential colleagues, and the person I would be replacing. My final and third interview was with the Dean. I interviewed with a total of 8 people. In the end, I didn't get the job as another candidate was selected. The interview process was very professional and all very nice and appropriate questions. I believe the interviews went well and I clicked with everyone on the interview team except with the Dean. For some reason, we just didn't seem to click and the interview just didn't seem to go as smoothly as the rest.

Interview Questions

• How did you setup social media and how do you maintain or keep it updated?   Answer Question