Stanford University

Relevance Date Difficulty

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

Interviewed at Stanford University

Interview Details – There is no interview for my position as a math PhD student. It depends mainly on your past mathematical records.

Student Outreach Coordinator Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stanford University in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was told the interview would be a panel setup with possibly 3 people, it ended up being 6! For an entry level position. I think that was overkill, but they can get away with it. I was asked to explain how previous experience would serve me in this position? When was a time I had planned an event and volunteers had left me stranded? How would I keep students dedicated, and involved with events when their schedules are hectic? What would I do in the first three months of employment? What was a student involvement like in my university experience? How could I improve upon it?

Interview Question – What sort program would you plan to get students from different dormitories/dinning halls to interact with each other? They gave no feedback, or clarification when I asked.   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – Just general questions about my interests, background in research, and general knowledge about the subject matter

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Peer Tutor Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – Hiring is done by the Stanford Center for Teaching and Learning. The interview process includes one personality interview to see if candidates are suitable and personable enough to be peer tutors. The second round is a role-play interview where candidates have to 'tutor' someone, typically an experienced tutor in the subject they are applying for.

Interview Question – Tell me an example of a time where a student reacted poorly to your tutoring techniques and how you overcame the difficulty.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Hourly pay for this student job.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – took one month for a call back. Met individually with 3 people, about 20 minutes with each person.

Interview Question – Easy questions. Asked: why I wanted job, research experience, and if an when I ever brok protocol.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – Normally, directly give a presentation.
They will know your work and judge by the presentation, Many questions about your work detail. So be sure to very familiar your work.
Normally after presentation, the lab would have the idea of keep or not offer.

Interview Question – Some question that fall into the lab area but you might not very familiar. So should be very familiar their work and think what your work might contribute to the lab.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation phase

Sustainability Coordinator Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – I had my first interview with one of the Managers of the Office of Sustainability. She was smart, a great pleasure to speak with, and was a respectable character.

Interview Question – My concern would be that the job is not too challenging for you, how do you feel about that?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Manager Interview

Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in March 2009.

Interview Details – 2 sets of in person interviews after telephone interview. Interviewed with approx. 14 individuals including peers, managers and directors.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult coworker or customer?   Answer Question

Post Doctoral Fellow Interview

Post Doctoral Fellow

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Stanford University in May 2010.

Interview Details – I provided a good CV and cover letter, and was interviewed first on the phone and then on campus about my ability to teach the humanities.

Interview Question – What I would do if people on my teaching team had different ideas about what to do about a student.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Basic Life Science Research Associate Interview

Basic Life Science Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in January 2013.

Interview Details – was a day long affair, having to give a presentation of your earlier work to the group. Had to meet most of the people in the group one-on-one followed by meeting the head of the group who interviewed me on the skills and technical knowledge.

Interview Question – what new techniques will I bring to the lab   View Answer

Negotiation Details – negotiated my salary and benefits. Could also negotiate my moving expenses for the mid-west.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Stanford University