Stanford University

Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.9

Academic Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Stanford University in October 2013.

Day-long interview with job talk. Multiple stakeholders are scheduled for 45 minute sessions. Unstructured questions. Lunch with unit staff. Dinner afterward. Very friendly atmosphere. It can be difficult when being interviewed by multiple staff whose internal dynamics come out in questioning. Endurance and diplomacy are important for the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • Staff complain about lack of formal policy to govern their responsibility area and ask what you would do to fix it.   View Answer

Student Outreach Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stanford University in October 2013.

I was told the interview would be a panel setup with possibly 3 people, it ended up being 6! For an entry level position. I think that was overkill, but they can get away with it. I was asked to explain how previous experience would serve me in this position? When was a time I had planned an event and volunteers had left me stranded? How would I keep students dedicated, and involved with events when their schedules are hectic? What would I do in the first three months of employment? What was a student involvement like in my university experience? How could I improve upon it?

Interview Questions
    • What sort program would you plan to get students from different dormitories/dinning halls to interact with each other? They gave no feedback, or clarification when I asked.   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Stanford University.

Normally, directly give a presentation.
    They will know your work and judge by the presentation, Many questions about your work detail. So be sure to very familiar your work.
    Normally after presentation, the lab would have the idea of keep or not offer.

Interview Questions
    • Some question that fall into the lab area but you might not very familiar. So should be very familiar their work and think what your work might contribute to the lab.   Answer Question
    no negotiation phase

Sustainability Coordinator Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stanford University.

I had my first interview with one of the Managers of the Office of Sustainability. She was smart, a great pleasure to speak with, and was a respectable character.

Interview Questions
    • My concern would be that the job is not too challenging for you, how do you feel about that?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stanford University.

Initial phone call from the HR manager of a research center was straightforward. First interview was with the HR manager to confirm employment details, gauge my interest in different research topics and job functions. Second (final) interview was with my eventual boss and my predecessor, to confirm details of the job responsibilities and to go more in-depth into my relevant experience. Very friendly and approachable interviewers throughout the process, ample opportunities for questions.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be interested in a different job than the one you applied for?   View Answer

Director, Purchasing Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University in August 2013.

The worst experience ever: unorganized, long interviews, no action/follow up, lots of internal politics that comes through from the interviewers comments, arrogance (you should feel honored to be interviewing here -- don't waste your time. Employees and managers are not aligned or on the same page when interviewing. Management is not forthcoming/honest about the true working situation of the department, quality of the employees, or about the goals of the job.

Interview Questions
    • Can we get more references -- after three references and complete back ground, credit, history check -- really?   View Answer

Communications Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stanford University in July 2013.

I applied online, and emailed/sent a hand written copy of my resume. That is my standard operating procedure in all job situations. I was given and interview 3 days later and and offer by the end of that week. I am told this isn't really customary for the university though. There are some people that the process takes up to 6 months for. In hindsight a year later my anger is difficult and the office culture not the best, so perhaps they were just desperate.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing of consequence, most interviews at the university are straightforward and simple, no trickery. The university requires an extensive background check, I was already an on ca,pus employee and did not need this.   Answer Question
    There didn't seem to be much room for negotiation but I was happy with the offer regardless

Senior Software Developer Interview

They were available to do the interview through skype. They were very nice and asked tough, but reasonable questions. I had to come in for a couple of interviews, but overall the process was pretty easy.

Project Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Stanford University.

quite simple steps for interviews

Interview Questions
    not a great negotiation process

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Stanford University.

I sent my resume and they called me in for an interview. The interview felt semi-formal, they seemed to just want to know who I was and what my interests were in. It was very simple and not as intimidating as I would have expected.