Stanford University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Stanford, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – Initial phone call from the HR manager of a research center was straightforward. First interview was with the HR manager to confirm employment details, gauge my interest in different research topics and job functions. Second (final) interview was with my eventual boss and my predecessor, to confirm details of the job responsibilities and to go more in-depth into my relevant experience. Very friendly and approachable interviewers throughout the process, ample opportunities for questions.

Interview Question – Would you be interested in a different job than the one you applied for?   View Answer

Computing Info Systems Analyst Interview

Computing Info Systems Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Stanford University in March 2010.

Interview Details – Your resume needs to pass the "keyword" test. Usually phone screen by hiring manager, in person with numerous people who will be working with you and upper management (finalist only)

Interview Question – Questions was regarding data analysis, best way to present monthly, over time.   Answer Question

Facility Engineer Interview

Facility Engineer
Stanford, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Stanford University in March 2012.

Interview Details – Good process, several interviews with many different disciplines.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life Science Research Assistant Interview

Life Science Research Assistant
Stanford, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stanford University in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was hired after a one year internship and brought on full time. Often Stanford posts jobs on their website when they already have somebody internally in mind. Also, the pay range is very broad for each position, so remember to negotiate hard.
The best way to get hired at Stanford is to be referred by someone who works there.

Interview Question – Explain all of your detailed scientific experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I eventually negotiated an increase of over $10,000 annually.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
Stanford, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in July 2010.

Interview Details – Initially contacted professors via email asking for interview. Came and gave 30 min talk on research to entire lab. Spent day talking with graduate students and postdocs. Finished day with short talk with professors. Followed up via email to work on research project ideas. Settled on one and applied for funding together. Before funding was decided job offer was extended.

Interview Question – Do you know how to tell if a paper is a real and important result or whether it is just a toy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Unfortunately I did not negotiate. I know of others who did and got additional concessions such as moving expenses. I wish I had done a little more negotiation but was too inexperience and felt that I was lucky to get a job at Stanford at all.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer

Interviewed at Stanford University

Interview Details – They were available to do the interview through skype. They were very nice and asked tough, but reasonable questions. I had to come in for a couple of interviews, but overall the process was pretty easy.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied in-person and interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – quite simple steps for interviews

Interview Question – not really unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not a great negotiation process

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Stanford, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in July 2012.

Interview Details – Very casual. People seems to be friendly, and asked a lot of project related questions. It was a full day interview, meet with a PI in the morning, then give a informal 1-hour seminar on my graduate research. Then went to lunch with the PI discussing his projects and my career objectives. In the afternoon, I meet with each member of the lab. After a final meeting with the PI, several lab member take me out for dinner and discuss casual issues such as PI, working hours and style.

Interview Question – What is you career objective?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Analyst Interview

Software Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in April 2009.

Interview Details – Easy, but it was 10+ years ago. EMailed, came to campus, chatted a while, got the job.

Negotiation Details – They didn't want to pay relocation costs, but I negotiated $2000 signing bonus to cover that.

Very Easy Interview

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – I sent my resume and they called me in for an interview. The interview felt semi-formal, they seemed to just want to know who I was and what my interests were in. It was very simple and not as intimidating as I would have expected.

Interview Question – What are your research interests in?   Answer Question