Stanford University

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

2.9

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Stanford University.

I sent my resume and they called me in for an interview. The interview felt semi-formal, they seemed to just want to know who I was and what my interests were in. It was very simple and not as intimidating as I would have expected.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

it will very much depend on the professor you would like to work with. The more popular he/she is, the harder to get in his/her group.

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in April 2013.

I had a fast pleasant experience getting hired at Stanford with my current position. I had interviewed for two other positions at different departments and never heard back from either and l months later I received an automated reply that the positions had been filled. Stanford is VERY decentralized and there are many issues with their hiring process. People never follow up, don't email, and they can take MONTHS to call back so don't hold your breathe. My advice is don't give up, they have great benefits so the trouble is worth it if you appreciate a good work/life balance.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how do you deal with unresponsive faculty members?   View Answer
    No negotiation, HR has set pay scale's and you simply accept.

Student Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University.

2 phone screenings by hiring supervisor. then small panel interview with deans. final panel interview with department staff. originally told my desired salary was acceptable, then told that HR denied it and offered me substantially lower salary.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember the details, but at the end one person asked me something about my travel experience and wasn't sure how candid I should be about talking about a certain area or culture, since the staff (except this one person) seemed quite serious.   Answer Question
    Supervisor asked me my desired salary, said ok, then came back and said that HR would only agree to an amount about $20,000 less...I was out of a job then, so I accepted.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stanford University in March 2013.

Basic interview process, student library job

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University in March 2013.

Waster of time. Most of the positions are "pre-filled." If offered a position, make sure to review your job duties or you will end up doing all the work for a department. Interviewers are unsure about the questions they ask and you probably know more than they do about the positions' responsibilities and outcomes.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any questions for us (15 minutes into the interview)?   View Answer
    Smooth

Statistics PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University.

Got a phone interview. The whole purpose was to find out if I can speak English.

No negotiation

Graduate Student Interview

Interview Questions
    • The first communication was a phone call from an HR representative. This was followed by a 1-hour phone interview. The questions asked during the phone interview where very basic computer architecture questions followed by a simple brain teaser. After this, an on-site visitation was arranged where I had eight 1-hour 1:1 interview with the different member of my new team. The questions varied, but mostly I repeated the quick presentation of my graduate research and answered questions related to that. Most of the people where very interested in the answers.   Answer Question

PhD Student BioEngineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Stanford University.

FIrst apply. I did not meet all of the requirements of the PhD program. I was surprised to find out that no one really cared (I was missing organic chemistry). I was strong in all other areas and was able to justify why I should still be let in, however. Interviews were with 3 faculty members - 2 who I picked, one wildcard. Just show your enthusiasm for the subject and everything will work out.

Interview Questions
    • Why is Stanford the perfect school for you? Why not MIT?   View Answer

Basic Life Science Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in January 2013.

was a day long affair, having to give a presentation of your earlier work to the group. Had to meet most of the people in the group one-on-one followed by meeting the head of the group who interviewed me on the skills and technical knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • what new techniques will I bring to the lab   View Answer
    negotiated my salary and benefits. Could also negotiate my moving expenses for the mid-west.