Stanford University Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

3.1

Encryption Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stanford University in February 2014.

Through a 3rd party Contracting Company - told go for an interview met with 5 people.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about both apple and windows platforms and overall navigation of OS and settings.   Answer Question
    No negotiation told all controlled via the 3rd party contacting company.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stanford University in November 2013.

I was working at the museum as a volunteer. Once I met another volunteer who used to be an empolyee of the museum. He then referred me to a staff and I got the chance to be interviewed. The interview is not difficult, just asked about my passion about art, what I am learning at Stanford, etc.

Student Outreach Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stanford University in October 2013.

I was told the interview would be a panel setup with possibly 3 people, it ended up being 6! For an entry level position. I think that was overkill, but they can get away with it. I was asked to explain how previous experience would serve me in this position? When was a time I had planned an event and volunteers had left me stranded? How would I keep students dedicated, and involved with events when their schedules are hectic? What would I do in the first three months of employment? What was a student involvement like in my university experience? How could I improve upon it?

Interview Questions
    • What sort program would you plan to get students from different dormitories/dinning halls to interact with each other? They gave no feedback, or clarification when I asked.   View Answer

Director, Purchasing Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University in August 2013.

The worst experience ever: unorganized, long interviews, no action/follow up, lots of internal politics that comes through from the interviewers comments, arrogance (you should feel honored to be interviewing here -- don't waste your time. Employees and managers are not aligned or on the same page when interviewing. Management is not forthcoming/honest about the true working situation of the department, quality of the employees, or about the goals of the job.

Interview Questions
    • Can we get more references -- after three references and complete back ground, credit, history check -- really?   View Answer

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in April 2013.

I had a fast pleasant experience getting hired at Stanford with my current position. I had interviewed for two other positions at different departments and never heard back from either and l months later I received an automated reply that the positions had been filled. Stanford is VERY decentralized and there are many issues with their hiring process. People never follow up, don't email, and they can take MONTHS to call back so don't hold your breathe. My advice is don't give up, they have great benefits so the trouble is worth it if you appreciate a good work/life balance.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how do you deal with unresponsive faculty members?   View Answer
    No negotiation, HR has set pay scale's and you simply accept.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Stanford University.

It was a long time before they responded to my job application for this position, but I was happy that they did.

First it was a phone screening and the manager asked me about my previous jobs and experience as well as how I would respond to certain situations. The phone screening went smoothly and the manager invited me for an in-person interview right at the end of the call. Awesome!

I went to the campus and it was very beautiful. The buildings were iconic and the campus has the most beautiful landscaping I've ever seen.

I met with the manager and 3 other people and they all asked me a series of IT realated puzzles and some logic puzzles as well. There was even a practical where you get a client and you have to solve their problem. Over all I pretty much nailed every question and I had a lot of fun meeting everyone and solving the puzzles.

They said I would hear back from them in a week, but alas, that didn't happen...

Despite me doing well in the interview, I think what I did wrong is that I failed to follow up promptly... or maybe I came off as too cocky as I was flying through the questions they gave me...

Over all, Stanford would probably be the best place for me to work because I love to do IT at a place I really love and care about. Everyone is extremely nice and friendly.

If any of you wonder if you should try to apply there, I say go for it. I didn't get my chance, but I will certainly try again later.

Interview Questions
    • Many different questions about IT across a multitude of platforms   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in October 2011.

I enjoyed speaking to everyone in the group I was interviewing with.

There was the initial phone interview that was pretty easy going. And then a couple weeks later I was invited for an in-person interview, where I ended up meeting everyone I would be working with. To prepare for the interview I had to do a case analysis which seemed easy to comprehend.

I was invited back for a second in-person interview about two weeks after that to meet with those who are more senior, which I thought it went well. A week later they did a background check and called my references. They went through all that trouble of checking me, then offered the position to someone else. I felt led on by them.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Stanford University in October 2011.

Great HR department - especially good at follow-up. Asked basic questions like, Why do you want to work at SMC?

Interview Questions
    • Why are you looking at SMC instead of a pure for-profit company?   View Answer

Medical Simulationist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University in March 2011.

Applied cold via online posting, got a call within a week. A phone interview was scheduled within a few days, mostly very cordial conversations. They flew me out from Chicago for a full day of interviews. Met director, associate dean, IT team, and other staff. Most questions were not terribly difficult. The facility was impressive, but rather stuffy. Campus was beautiful. I got a phone call with an offer about a week later. Salary offer was surprisingly low.

Interview Questions
    Initial offer was low, next offer was low, final offer was still low. Management views Stanford name as part of your salary.

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Stanford University in February 2011.

The interviewer did not ask any questions about my work history, interviewer did ask several times why I wanted to work at University. Interviewer seemed distracted and not interested in the interview. Interviewer said she would get back to me in two days either way, never heard back from person I interviewed with.